Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It just looks like the Luke visiting Jabba scene, with Vader pasted in instead.

I would say yes to a Darth Vader book, but $5? No. And not just "no", but positively, absolutely no. Drop the price. I can wait for the trade paperback.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    It just looks like the Luke visiting Jabba scene, with Vader pasted in instead.
    That's the point. It is an homage to what Luke will do in Episode VI. Notice the way Vader gets in is not through mind trickery but rather intimidation (brandishing his saber), showcases their different mentalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    $5?! Pretty easy to resist that.
    You've got a solid point. For $5 it would be nice if we got decent paper and cover stock. What Dark Horse has for paper quality should be the standard for $5 books. (Note: DH books are mostly $3.50)

This is just a milking of the brand. You'd need a Jedi mind trick to get me interested in this in the first place. But $5? I refuse to buy $5 single issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Fenris View Post
    That better be for just the first issue and it better be oversized. For chrissakes Marvel... Disney owns you and you make a ton of money off of movies and licensing yet you can't cut your old school comic readers a break with all these $4.99 books and NO $2.99 AT ALL after She-Hulk??? There's just no excuse anymore with well over half of DC's line still at $2.99, and almost all of their new books (Deathstroke, Gotham Academy, Lobo, Arkham Manor) starting at $2.99. On top of that all of DC's weeklies are $2.99, and the weekly Marvel announced (Wolverines) is $3.99. C'Mon Marvel, you can do us better than that.
    But the readers keep buying them. I mean, all of Marvel's $2.99 books except Ms. Marvel have miserably failed, whereas their most profitable books were at the time $3.99.

And I bet that if DC raised thei cover price of most of their books, sales would be more or less the same. Fans don't care for the price point if they can have their favorite characters. That's why a lot of DC's $2.99 comics have failed, too.

Just want to let you all know--Issue #1 is 30 pages of story, and the price drops to $3.99 after that one issue.

It's a big blockbuster first issue. You're not going to want to miss it!

Self-Loathing Bendis Fan

Humanizing the bad guys seems to be the big thing in entertainment right now. They did it a little bit with Vader and even Boba in the prequels, but I'm fully expecting the Nu-Star Wars movement to give us The Childhood of Jabba The Hutt retold in one form or another, somewhere down the line.

Soon a single issue comic probably will be the same price as a Blu-ray movie. Things might be getting a little out of hand, just sayin.

At least make expensive comics enticing like with virgin covert art, and glossy cover and higher quality paper and maybe a few back up stories, etc.
    Last edited by SXVA; 11-14-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

We know that Star Wars #1 is $5 but has 48 PGS. Darth Vader #1 is likely exactly the same.

Spectacular Member

That is some awesome Larroca art. Geeze, that looks good. Can't wait...!

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Fenris View Post
    Kieron Gillen written Darth Vader ongoing??? YES! YES! YES!

FIVE BUCKS??? You bastards.

That better be for just the first issue and it better be oversized. For chrissakes Marvel... Disney owns you and you make a ton of money off of movies and licensing yet you can't cut your old school comic readers a break with all these $4.99 books and NO $2.99 AT ALL after She-Hulk??? There's just no excuse anymore with well over half of DC's line still at $2.99, and almost all of their new books (Deathstroke, Gotham Academy, Lobo, Arkham Manor) starting at $2.99. On top of that all of DC's weeklies are $2.99, and the weekly Marvel announced (Wolverines) is $3.99. C'Mon Marvel, you can do us better than that.
    This is why I gave up on individual issues a few years ago and jsut buy trades now. If you can just wait a few months, you can get a collected storyline of 4-6 issues for almost the price of just a couple of newstand issues (esp if you buy used on Amazon). And the comics industry wonders why sales on comics are down....

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    And I bet that if DC raised thei cover price of most of their books, sales would be more or less the same. Fans don't care for the price point if they can have their favorite characters. That's why a lot of DC's $2.99 comics have failed, too.
    Fans who buy more than a handful of books care, believe me. And LOTS of DC's books have succeeded at $2.99 (Aquaman, Batman and Robin, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Earth 2). Harley Quinn outsells almost everything Marvel puts outs and it's still $2.99. The new Batgirl sold like hot cakes and DC kept it at $2.99. Could DC jack up the price? Sure. But they haven't and I LOVE THEM FOR IT. Meanwhile Marvel tries to edge us closer to accepting the $4.99 book, with extra pages that are almost always filler. And I NEVER count that Marvel recap page or things like the god-awful two page TITLE/CREDITS in Axis which I have now dropped. Axis #4 was just terrible. Also getting real tired of the "Marvel Now" red bar on every title. Covers shouldn't have a "uniform" IMO. Marvel has a few good things things going for them that I'll buy at $3.99 (Hickman's Avengers, Bendis' X-Men, Slot's Spider-Man). I still buy some Marvel books and probably always will, but I've been passing on a lot of things too that I would have once bought at $3 but not $4 (Deathlok, Mighty Avengers, Winter Soldier). I buy DC, Marvel, Image, and a couple Boom and IDW, and right now it seems that DC and Image is where the real "bang for your buck" is.
    Last edited by Floyd Fenris; 11-14-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    This is why I gave up on individual issues a few years ago and jsut buy trades now. If you can just wait a few months, you can get a collected storyline of 4-6 issues for almost the price of just a couple of newstand issues (esp if you buy used on Amazon). And the comics industry wonders why sales on comics are down....
    If you really love Marvel comics, then why even bother with the trade? For as little as $5.75 a month you can get access to every single Marvel book released 6 months after it comes out in Print, as well as a back catalog of over 13,000 issue via Marvel Unlimited.

Fantastic Member

So is this a Star Wars "Elseworlds" type of book? I guess I don't see Vader having much of a reason to visit Jabba.