Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What were the first Batman comics you read?

The ones that got you here..: )

How did you get them and do they still hold up today?

Very first issue

First trade

First back issue

I'm a newb, so my first on-time issue was probably Batman #24. First trade was A Serious House on Serious Earth, because of the artwork. First back-issue was probably Arkham Unhinged #1.

My first issue was Batman #1 of the New 52 about a year after it began (on Comixology) and my first on-time print issue was #14. First trade was Year One, IIRC.

All-New Member

I was never much of a DC fan at all growing up, I was always loyal to marvel as a kid. Once I got a little bit older though, I bought Dark knight returns secondhand & though it sounds like the obvious choice, it was the one that completely changed my perception on Batman, as I always remembered him from the campy 60s show, which I was never a fan of.

Anyway, I loved that read & it's up there as one of, if not, favourite graphic novel experiences. Just loved the dark, gritty feel of it.

I have to say that reading it all these years later, the magic is not there as much as when I was a kid but still will always remain a great read & one that completely changed my perspective on batman & since, has really opened me up to all different styles of Batman.

The dark knight returns. I was already a batman fan from the 89 film and BTAS but this made me love him even more. I was 11 and my friend owned a copy, every time I was at his house I couldn't help but look at it. Thinking how badass he was taking out the mutants and fighting superman. Just awesome

The beginning of Knightfall and some issues of Shadow of the Bat. I was a Marvel kid growing up and never really paid attention to Batman other than the cartoon and movies. Building the entire Knightfall arc is what pulled me back into comics after many years away.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

After The Dark Knight Rises I went on a Batman hype and went to my comic book store for the first time and picked up (they had a 3 for 2 on GN's) ; Long Halloween, DKR and DK2. Read Long Halloween first and it was amazing and I'd say it deffo holds up today. DKR likewise was great, I didn't even try DK2 lol I couldn't get passed the few pages so ended up selling it.

First Bat floppy was the DOTF finale.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

When I was a kid, my dad had a trade paperback of The Dark Knight Returns on our bookcase. Naturally, as a kid I was a Batman fan, so when I discovered it I really wanted to read it. But he wouldn't let me because I was little and he said "It's written for adults, not kids." I snuck it off the shelf one night to check it out, but back then I was really only familiar with reruns of the Adam West show. This book was nothing like that, so I only read a few pages before I decided I didn't like it and put it back. Haha!! Technically, that was my first exposure to the Batman of the comics.

But it wasn't until years later that I really got into comics books, so these are what I consider my real Bat-firsts.

First New Issue - Batman: Shadow of the Bat #1

First Back Issue - Batman #423

First Trade - Batman: The Collected Adventures, Volume 1

Last edited by Michael24; 11-15-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

some old trade with ishs from the 60s

I don't remember what it was called or what #s the issues were. I do remember the villains that were in it- there was Blockbuster, Clayface, the Outsider, the Joker, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Riddler, and possibly others I can't remember.

If someone knows trade this was, I would like to know.

Part one of the "Year 3" storyline. Back when you could get comics at your corner store. It was also the summer of the Bat.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Batman 156 "Robin Dies at Dawn" was the first Batman comic I read. I still really enjoy it even now.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...3-1-batman.jpg

First trade was: Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn I came back into comics just in time for Dick!Bats so I wanted to have the trades for this particular run.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...man_Reborn.jpg

First back issue: Batman 356: Double Life of Dr. Strange. It was actually a replacement for a copy I'd let a then friend of mine borrow that he never returned. It was also the first issue I had paid for myself back in the day.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...Batman_356.jpg
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 11-15-2014 at 02:56 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    some old trade with ishs from the 60s

I don't remember what it was called or what #s the issues were. I do remember the villains that were in it- there was Blockbuster, Clayface, the Outsider, the Joker, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Riddler, and possibly others I can't remember.

If someone knows trade this was, I would like to know.

First Bat-books 100% more "looked at" than reading, like who liked to read even at age 8-9 hahaha - Detective Comics #662 and Batman #495, the Riddler and Poison Ivy chapters of "Knightfall". It was in a two-pack bundle package, back in the days there was them comic packs in Toys R Uses. Both have since "mysteriously disappeared" long, long, ago, not so long after first purchase, as those were the days before I knew how to properly take care of comics (8-9 years old), but would find another set of copies of those again much later when I did, fifteen or so years later.
    Last edited by ngroove; 11-15-2014 at 03:37 PM.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

One of these 2 when I was a kid in 91~92

Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

BANNED

Does TAS count?

First trade was DKR

Year one trade about 8 years ago.