Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Batman Year One and Son of Batman. Didn't like either of them at first.

Fantastic Member

The 2006 reprint of Batman: Son of the Demon.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I started reading comics about 5-6 years by going through my dads huge collection.

My first Batman comic box I grabbed to read from his stack was from 1973 so the first Batman comic I read was this:

The next comic I read was a Batman team up with The Demon:

And finally, the first Batman back issue I bought was last year from Mycomicsshop auction:

Ahhhhh good times!

Retired

First comic bought new

First back issue (I think)

First collected edition (that wasn't a Giant)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    First comic bought new

I want Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle to come back and do an Eraser story.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

300px-Batman_414.jpg

7 years old and I was hooked, baby!

My introduction to Batman was the 1960s television show and I started reading the comics as a result. I vaguely remember a comic with the Penguin as my first one but I have no idea now what issue it was or what the story was. As it was the Silver Age, it probably wouldn't hold up well now though I enjoy some of the SA silliness.

Probably Batman versus Man-bat in the Bronze Age was one of my first memorable Batman stories though Batman's greatest impact for me was Batman Year One.

Ah Batman #500! Have a signed copy somewhere around! Anyways I first read the trade of Arkham Asylum about 6/7 years ago. Then I stopped reading comics for a year or two and started over with TDKR and Year One.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Batman and son

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    My introduction to Batman was the 1960s television show and I started reading the comics as a result. I vaguely remember a comic with the Penguin as my first one but I have no idea now what issue it was or what the story was. As it was the Silver Age, it probably wouldn't hold up well now though I enjoy some of the SA silliness.

Probably Batman versus Man-bat in the Bronze Age was one of my first memorable Batman stories though Batman's greatest impact for me was Batman Year One.
    Shut yo' mouth! I eventually collected all these comics and read them and they remain my favourite comics. If I ever sell off my collection, these will be the last to go. You can bury me with them.

Before or around the time I started buying my first Batman comics, I was loaned a stack of others. So one of the first Batman stories I remember reading was "Death Knocks Three Times" in BATMAN 180 (featuring Death-Man)--gave me nightmares. Also the first two Poison Ivy stories (in BATMAN 181 and 183). Plus a few other BATMAN and DETECTIVE issues. But as I only borrowed these, it took me years to track down the back issues and add them to my collection.

I would guess your issue with the Penguin was BATMAN 190 (March '67).

Incredible Member

I remember it clearly, it was in 1987 and living in South America the comics there were behind by a few years so the first one I read was a reprint of 'Tec 516 and Batman 349 in which Batman infiltrates a crime academy while Robin is in dire clutches by a vampire chick, to me the stories were so serious and mature unlike the silly Adam West show that I was hooked.

My first trade was The Dark Knight Returns, it took me a while to get used to Frank Miller's but since then its become my favorite Batman story.

BANNED

Back in the 50's, when I was about 5, don't remember the exact issue, but it's probably in a box somewhere around here.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I can't remember the very first time but I can clearly remember when I started reading comic books regularly.
    I'm italian and i was spending my holidays travelling across the Europe, I was walking without a goal in Bonn, Germany when i found a comic book shop.
    I couldn't read german and, at that moment, the only words i knew of english was "good morning" or "the cat is on the table".
    So I opted for an english/italian dictionary accompanied by this one:
    knightfall.jpg

And that's the way i've learned to read english
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 11-17-2014 at 02:57 AM.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

The Dark Knight Returns
    Year One
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Incredible Member

Somewhere in about 2003-2005 I bought a British reprint of Hush (I had a thread about this before). I also rented a trade of part 3 of the Batman Vampire elseworlds story on TP from a library once around this time. Then, ten years later in 2013, I got lent DKR, Killing Joke, Year One and Man Who Laughs by a friend. Can't remember in which order. Then my very first Batman purchase as an informed adult was Court, City and Night of the Owls, in TP/HC.
    Been collecting trades slowy ever since; of which I currently I have 79.
    Haven't gotten into buying monthlies yet, but am sometimes given them by my friend. First monthly given was the entire New 52 Batman Incorporated run.