Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Dynamite GOLD KEY relaunch - Turok, Magnus, Solar and Dr Spektor

Discuss the Gold Key titles: Magnus/Solar/Turok/Dr Spektor...

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

As many already know, I'm digging Turok quite a bit and find Magnus riveting, but I worry about Solar moving forward. While I would welcome a female Solar title, I feel people who read this book will probably dislike that direction simply because the story didn't happen when it was published under Valiant so many years back (they just can't let go), causing it to lose sales. But so far I'm enjoying the entire line. The huge drop in orders so soon is partially alarming, though. Advertisement and promotional work is needed on this line to keep it fresh and exciting for potential new readers.

March sales figures for Gold Key titles:

Turok #2...11,296. Down from 30,722 for #1.

Magnus #1...27,497.

Sales of Dark Horse Gold Key (2010-11):

Solar #1 - 22,630. #2 - 13,715. #3 - 10,115. #4 - 8677. #5 - 7778. #6 - 7046. #7 - 6833. #8 - 6229.
    Magnus #1 - 17,729. #2 - 11,168. #3 - 8890. #4 - 7795.
    Turok #1 - 12,607. #2 - 8,015. #3 - 6821. #4 - 6257.
    Samson #1 - 7814. #2 - 4914. #3 - 4359. #4 - ?

I'm only following Magnus, and so far I really, really like it. A lot. I love the tone, that it doesn't take itself too seriously and still has room for a sense of fun and humor. I've laughed out loud a few times while reading it. It's off to a great start.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bslythegamerguy View Post
    The huge drop in orders so soon is partially alarming, though. Advertisement and promotional work is needed on this line to keep it fresh and exciting for potential new readers.
    Unfortunately that's pretty much the norm for those outside the Big Two. #1s around the 30k mark, a sharp decline at #2, followed by a slow decline after that until they float around the 8k mark (at best). Regardless of quality, I just don't think there's enough readers out there, especially with Marvel and (to a lesser extent) DC flooding the releases with shiny new #1s every week. Hopefully digital sales are better than I suspect for the Valiants/Dynamites/IDWs of the market - it's hard to know without seeing any figures.

I tried the first two issues of Turok, but the character just doesn't grab me. I'm up-and-down on Pak's style to be honest - I've read some solid stuff from him, but he's not a must-buy for me. Magnus has been great, but then I'm pretty much a Van Lente fanboy ever since picking up Archer & Armstrong #1.

Solar just doesn't interest me much at this stage, but I'm definitely onboard for Dr. Spektor.

Turok so far is ridiculously cool, the blend of alt history and American Indians and people living with dinosaurs for chrissakes. I'm looking forward to checking out Magnus as by the sounds of it is right up my alley

I'm really looking forward to Doctor Spektor. I've read all the interviews and Waid has some great ideas for the book.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Just got Solar #1 today. Very different approach to the character, but I rather liked it.

I bought all three titles, and Turok is my favorite by far. Look forward to Waid's take on Doctor Spektor!
    TOP FIVE PULLS AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, HULK, NICE HOUSE, NIGHTWING, SAGA

BANNED

Turok definitely has one of the most outrageous alternate history out there, i'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    Just got Solar #1 today. Very different approach to the character, but I rather liked it.
    I did as well, though once his daughter takes up the mantle I'm guessing the long time fans will scatter like cats at an Asian restaurant. Time will tell. I really don't think the female Solar will last and that it's just a gimmick to get teens to buy a big boobed comic, though I bet the story will be fun.

I really enjoyed the first two issues of Magnus, the themes of individuality that Van Lente teased in interviews are already hinted at and those concepts are quite to my liking, plus all the characters attitudes felt great and even the robots are fun and interesting to read; Im on board for the long run.

Read the first issue of Solar today, I wasnt as impressed to be honest but wasnt dissapointed either. It was an acceptable introductory first issue, hopefully the obvious passing of the baton will prove interesting.

Not really interested in Turok, but I might check out Doctor Spektor without any previous knowledge of the property since its written by Waid.

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    I really enjoyed the first two issues of Magnus, the themes of individuality that Van Lente teased in interviews are already hinted at and those concepts are quite to my liking, plus all the characters attitudes felt great and even the robots are fun and interesting to read; Im on board for the long run.

Read the first issue of Solar today, I wasnt as impressed to be honest but wasnt dissapointed either. It was an acceptable introductory first issue, hopefully the obvious passing of the baton will prove interesting.

Not really interested in Turok, but I might check out Doctor Spektor without any previous knowledge of the property since its written by Waid.
    Try the first issue or two of Turok and see what you think, I went into it expecting it to stink and was quite happy with how it all turned out. It's a fun book with some fun characters, the art isn't terrible but it isn't great either, though....

I could be wrong, feel free to correct me if I am, but I think The Twilight Zone is part of GOLD KEY as well ... in which case, I'm very glad to see it back in comic book format again

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    March sales figures for Gold Key titles:

Turok #2...11,296. Down from 30,722 for #1.

Magnus #1...27,497.

Sales of Dark Horse Gold Key (2010-11):

Solar #1 - 22,630. #2 - 13,715. #3 - 10,115. #4 - 8677. #5 - 7778. #6 - 7046. #7 - 6833. #8 - 6229.
    Magnus #1 - 17,729. #2 - 11,168. #3 - 8890. #4 - 7795.
    Turok #1 - 12,607. #2 - 8,015. #3 - 6821. #4 - 6257.
    Samson #1 - 7814. #2 - 4914. #3 - 4359. #4 - ?
    So your point is we will see the same or similar dropoff with DynaKey?