Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

It's only because of my VALIANT ties that I'm still reading Turok, which is my biggest disappointment.
    Solar I'm ok with but it's better than the Dark Key version at this same point in it's run.
    Magnus is actually the one I'm most surprised on.

Dr. Spektor is also really good and I wish were ongoing, I'd rank that my second favorite.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

I wouldn't dream of speaking for all Valiant fans, but I can say that there is a prevailing negative opinion towards Dynamite surrounding the DynaKey comics as well as past actions by Dynamite relating to Valiant in general. As is commonly heard in this day and age "You don't like <insert company X here>, then don't buy their product." I don't like what Dynamite has done, so I will not support their attempts at riding Valiant's coat tails.

Personally. going as far back as the days of VH1 out of the Gold Key characters Magnus was the one character with the mythology that was more for my tastes; the year or so long crossover with Rai and the Future Force during the Malev war arc is one of the best long form stories of its day, and I'll say that it still holds quite well after re-reading it not too long ago.

So Im very glad that his book is at the top of this revival, I just really hope it'll last for more than 10 issues... cause I read Dynamite already cancelled the new Flash Gordon book after just 8 issues? Man thats two less than the previous volume :/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    It's only because of my VALIANT ties that I'm still reading Turok, which is my biggest disappointment.
    Solar I'm ok with but it's better than the Dark Key version at this same point in it's run.
    Magnus is actually the one I'm most surprised on.

Dr. Spektor is also really good and I wish were ongoing, I'd rank that my second favorite.
    The problem with Turok is that they strayed too far from the original concept, they should have kept him in the Lost Land. The DH version was so much better.

^^^^
    Agreed, the Dark Key(Horse) Turok was a great read at just 4 issues. Wish we'd had more but we only got 8 of Solar and that was the most any Dark Key title got.
    Would've also liked more Samson as I felt that was a great read as well.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

With all this negative talk I just want to say, I am enjoying all these titles. I never read this characters before, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I really do like all this titles. Sure I enjoy some more then others. But I have read all of them. And so far I am enjoying them.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I enjoyed the DH Turok & Samson. The DH Solar & Magnus were just OK.

Quote Originally Posted by midas73 View Post
    The Valiant books aren't doing much better. It's a complete shame that so many quality books are getting produced these days with no or limited audiences.
    Valiant relaunched strong but lately it has become XO Manowar in one crossover after another & a bunch of limited series. The only other original book still being published is Archer & Armstrong.

VALIANT titles are in a rotation of hiatus. Bloodshot returns in October w/#24. Meaning 3 of the original 5 are back in monthly form. Look for Harbinger to resume as well after the spotlight on the Gen Zero kids has played out in AH:Harbinger and Harbinger Omegas. I'd strongly wager that Harbinger #26 is forthcoming Jan/Feb of '15. After Doctor Mirage and Punk Mambo one shot I'd say look for Shadowman to resume as well, the book most strongly in need of finding itself.

XO is likely to be the only book that doesn't go into a hiatus status I'd wager since it's strong a strong book for VEI.

As a big fan of the Valiant stuff, I've been interested in these titles too. But frankly, from the start, this whole endeavor felt like a quick cash grab...like b/c the valiant titles were doing well, dynamite wanted to copy the formula, down to the writers, look of the titles, etc. Are my fears unfounded? Are they worth a read?

I haven't read any of the Valiant relaunches, but Dynamite's Magnus has been one of the best new books I've been reading this year. Every issue so far has been a winner, IMO. But then again, if you approach something with any kind of bias, you're going to see things differently no matter how great something is.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by PastTenseOfDraw View Post
    As a big fan of the Valiant stuff, I've been interested in these titles too. But frankly, from the start, this whole endeavor felt like a quick cash grab...like b/c the valiant titles were doing well, dynamite wanted to copy the formula, down to the writers, look of the titles, etc. Are my fears unfounded? Are they worth a read?
    With the writers and artists they have on the series, I don't believe it was a quick cash grab. Dynamite has put way too much effort into the four series for this to be just quick and dirty. Anyway, I buy both Valiant and the DynaKey series, and I enjoy them all. If you like the new Valiant, I'd say you should give DynaKey a chance, especially Magnus and Dr. Spektor.

I'll definitely give it a chance, and read it with an open mind. Thanks to you both!

All-New Member Cezar The Scribe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bslythegamerguy View Post
    I'm surprised that the sales and level of excitement for these books is as low as it's been. I seriously thought that the old hardcore Valiant fans would have gotten behind these books much like they did the Valiant relaunch, but it guess since the books don't have the Valiant name on the cover that automatically gives them cooties.

I stopped reading them to trim down space in my monthly stack but had I not I would still be reading these.
    These characters belong at Valiant.

Quote Originally Posted by midas73 View Post
    The Valiant books aren't doing much better. It's a complete shame that so many quality books are getting produced these days with no or limited audiences.
    Agreed.

I have to say that the art took a turn for the worse in Solar #4. And I know this is the Dyna Key thread, but what was up with Flash #4 being only 18 pages? Why am I paying $3.99 for what was essentially a short epilogue? Lame.

The art in Dr. Spektor has never been great (it reminds me of what I think of as the Dynamite "house" style, which I really dislike) but that story at least continues to roll along. I'm interested to see how it wraps up next month.