Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Sad news Turok and Magnus ends in February!
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/...g-in-february/
    What a shame. I fear that Solar will end with #12 in March. Then again, 12 issues, and more or less on time, is better than what we got from Dark Horse, and for Solar and Turok, it is more than we got from Acclaim. Considering what Acclaim did with Magnus, it could be argued that we also got more Magnus.

Oh, jeez. Already? Before long, I'm gonna me down to, like, 2-3 books a month at this point.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I hope this is not the end to gold key, maybe they will do something else. Wishful thinking maybe. But I hope Solar keeps going haha.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Sounds like theyre hinting at a crossover at the end of the solicits. Probably a mini to wrap things up?

I guess we're going to have to be happy with 12-issue runs then. I'm sure Solar will go the same way next month. While this is too bad, I'm happy for the really great comics we got.

Ah Dynamite, never failing to simply letting books fade away within a year.

has Dr Spektor #4 been released? I don't ever remember seeing it in my pulls, I remember it being delayed a couple months.?????

Quote Originally Posted by Aomalle27 View Post
    has Dr Spektor #4 been released? I don't ever remember seeing it in my pulls, I remember it being delayed a couple months.?????
    Delayed again...11/26 is new release date.

Do you think any publishers out there today could really do the Gold Key books justice? Shooters Valiant of the early 90's did a, well pardon the pun, Valiant job on updating the GK characters, especially their version of Turok. But Acclaim ruined them, and Dark Horse failed at their attempt as well, and this DynaKey attempt hasn't been too good either. I think Marvel is too gimmicky to do these characters justice, DC just too mismanaged, though the old Vertigo line would have been a good destination for Gold Key. I think Boom is too cartoony, Image too jumbled, IDW just doesn't have the pedigree to do these kind of stories ( though Transformers is wonderful, and Im digging Baldur's Gate), Zenescope is too trashy, and Dark Horse already blew their opportunity, plus it would interfere with PBS which Im also enjoying immensely. Do you think there's a publisher pur there that could handle these properties correctly?

BANNED

All of those publushers can do the Gold Key stuff justice, especially IDW lol. You're just focusing too much on the cons.
    Do you think any publishers out there today could really do the Gold Key books justice? Shooters Valiant of the early 90's did a, well pardon the pun, Valiant job on updating the GK characters, especially their version of Turok. But Acclaim ruined them, and Dark Horse failed at their attempt as well, and this DynaKey attempt hasn't been too good either. I think Marvel is too gimmicky to do these characters justice, DC just too mismanaged, though the old Vertigo line would have been a good destination for Gold Key. I think Boom is too cartoony, Image too jumbled, IDW just doesn't have the pedigree to do these kind of stories ( though Transformers is wonderful, and Im digging Baldur's Gate), Zenescope is too trashy, and Dark Horse already blew their opportunity, plus it would interfere with PBS which Im also enjoying immensely. Do you think there's a publisher pur there that could handle these properties correctly?

yeah, zenescope doing GK?! Turok in leather fetish costume, Solar in bra and panties.... that would work out really well! Boom? they're a humorists publisher, nothing on the serious side/ dramatic side of comics. Dark Horse already has the PBS universe, plus the Aliens family of books, and their ladt attemp at GK was a colossal failure. Image just doesn't have the discipline to put out GK characters, phenomenal talents there, but patching together some of gheir talents and holding them to regular publish quotas? yeah right. Marvel would just reboot the characters annually, and dC would create a new 52 like GK world every couple of years. These are nostalgic characters that don't really fit into the
    " modern" comic approach of constant reboot/renumbering
    As for IDW, the quality is surely there, but what past track record can you point to to honestly say they could pull off a GK universe. My critiques aren't on any companies abilities to put out great books, but a series of great books in a cohesive universe.
    Last edited by Aomalle27; 11-21-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

yeah, zenescope doing GK?! Turok in leather fetish costume, Solar in bra and panties.... that would work out really well! Boom? they're a humorists publisher, nothing on the serious side/ dramatic side of comics. Dark Horse already has the PBS universe, plus the Aliens family of books, and their ladt attemp at GK was a colossal failure. Image just doesn't have the discipline to put out GK characters, phenomenal talents there, but patching together some of gheir talents and holding them to regular publish quotas? yeah right. Marvel would just reboot the characters annually, and dC would create a new 52 like GK world every couple of years. These are nostalgic characters that don't really fit into the
    As for IDW, the quality is surely there, but what past track record can you point to to honestly say they could pull off a GK universe. My critiques aren't on any companies abilities to put out great books, but a series of great books in a cohesive universe.
    Zene is not a fetish title or anything like that haha. Believe me :P, the covers are far more sexual then the inside. Plus they have some great writers on staff, as well as artist. But would I want them to do GK? No, they should keep doing what they do best. Awesome modern day telling of Fairy Tales. (They also have a very cohesive universe btw :P).

Back to the main topic though (don't want to get off topic on if Zene is a good company or not, not the right place for it haha). Who do I think could do it? Dark Horse, as long as its not part of PBS, I think that would confuse things. Valiant could do it, if they got the rights back (I would love this btw, but I don't know if it would happen). Boom also has a ton of non comedy or silly stuff, so they could do it too I guess, but never read a Superhero title by them lol. But I am a hopeful guy. I still am hoping that Dynamite is not done with Gold Key yet. Though a maybe be wrong haha. Being too hopeful is a fault of mine sometimes. I guess I am really the only one here with hope still, so I am most likely wrong haha.
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 11-21-2014 at 04:24 AM.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Dude, have you ever even looked at Booms output?

Hey kids, check out this all ages title Suicide Risk! Its the bees knees!
    Be sure to save room for Evil Empire though! And maybe a little Clive Barker before bed...

Zenescopes covers and waaaay more fetishised than the actual contents. And theyve been putting out a cohesive universe thats up in the hundreds now. More than can be said for any Gold Key books.

DC will create a new 52 version every year? I assume you meant every 25 years since that the span between 2011s New 52 and 1985s COIEs.
    Good thing neither Dark Horse or Dynamite rebooted GK though right? Gotta keep that precious GK continuity that sooooo many readers care about.

Marvel would reboot annually though. You know, that company whos never rebooted their continuity since the 60s. Its not like they have a proven history of publishing a cohesive universe of titles though.

As for IDW, i guess other than successful Transformers, GI Joe and TMNT shared universe titles they have no experience with those kinda things. Oh well.

I think your right. Nobody to do the glorious GK characters justice.
    They should just be left and forgotten. Its better that way for everybody.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 11-21-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Read Solar #7 and while I've adjusted to it being a poor mans Firestorm I'm just not totally loving Erica as Ronnie while Phil as Stein plays such a backseat role.
    What was at least interesting was that this alien war fleet(name escapes me) is now headed to Earth. Will it get there? Will the Solars stop it before it gets there?
    If not what are the repercussions of that fleet in orbit. A fleet with revenge on their minds for what was alluded to as a near genocidal encounter with Phil some time back?

Regarding what should happen with the GK characters, imo including Samson(who I hoped for a Wave2 title) with these 4, is that VALIANT could outright purchase and legally acquire the characters. The whole thing. Pricey I'm sure and VALIANT isn't likely in a financial state to do so + VEI has stated they are good w/o having them. I still think that's a PR statement, their profile and publicity of having them "come home" would be a boon to their titles.

Other than Solar, whose last arc improved upon the first at DH, I overall enjoyed what Dark Horse did with them. Shooter had trouble meeting the deadlines and IIRC the licensor also then went up on the fee. That coupled with DH dropping the line after a year. I really enjoyed the 4 issues of Turok and Samson the most.

I'd have faith in IDW as their in-universe cohesiveness with Transformers and TMNT is impressive.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I also agree that IDW, would do a good job with GK. Plus the potential of a Transformers/Magnus crossover would be awesome.