Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    So your point is we will see the same or similar dropoff with DynaKey?
    No point. I just copied & pasted the sales #'s from the old forums. I think it will be interesting to compare...

Finally got around to reading Magnus#1 today. Very cool, mildly confusing stuff. I like that, when a book kind of goes off in a totally different direction from what you're expecting.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    So your point is we will see the same or similar dropoff with DynaKey?
    I don't know. Dark Horse really hurt themselves with late shipping books. People lose interest in titles when they only come out three or four times a year.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I don't know. Dark Horse really hurt themselves with late shipping books. People lose interest in titles when they only come out three or four times a year.
    Which is kinda sad. I prefer getting a good book even if it comes three or four times a year than a rushed book every month. I mean, look at the X-Men comics produced during 2004-2006. Today, the most popular comic of that era is Astonishing X-Men despite its irregular schedule.
    Last edited by Diamond; 05-04-2014 at 11:31 AM.

I have read Turok: Dinosaur Hunter; Solar: Man Of The Atom; and Magnus: Robot Fighter.
    I have found each to be better with each issue. I will pick up the fourth title and hope it
    is as fun to read.

Just read Turok 3 and thought it was great. Greg Pak is crafting a very fun opening story and the artwork has been extremely solid. Magnus has been great too so far. Waiting to read Solar next.

BANNED

these books are very much top of the pile/must read material for me every week. can't wait for Turok #4.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    No point. I just copied & pasted the sales #'s from the old forums. I think it will be interesting to compare...
    I find it interesting too. Thanks for doing it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I really think DH/Shooter overestimated the appeal of these books from the start.I personally love the characters but they may have seen their day. At the time I was carrying a larger pull list that had other indies on it that shipped late and didn't really notice DH's schedule. I see your point that scheduling was another nail in the coffin though. Maybe DynaKey can pull it off.

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

I personally think that these characters carry with them some kind of curse. They just have not been able to find success since their Valiant days and even though I'm highly enjoying the Dynamite output on these characters I've got to wonder about their lasting appeal. Especially since the numbers have a big drop-off after the first issues, which is normal mind you, but the drop was extremely large. Personally, I hope the books level off at the 9-10k mark and enjoy a long and healthy run, but if they start dropping too fast I hope Dynamite puts some muscle into promoting the line instead of letting it die off like they always do.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Anyone else notice that Erica is listening to "Search and Destroy" by The Stooges in Solar Man of the Atom #1?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Bslythegamerguy View Post
    I personally think that these characters carry with them some kind of curse. They just have not been able to find success since their Valiant days and even though I'm highly enjoying the Dynamite output on these characters I've got to wonder about their lasting appeal. Especially since the numbers have a big drop-off after the first issues, which is normal mind you, but the drop was extremely large. Personally, I hope the books level off at the 9-10k mark and enjoy a long and healthy run, but if they start dropping too fast I hope Dynamite puts some muscle into promoting the line instead of letting it die off like they always do.
    I was out of comics for a while there, but other than the Dark Horse/Shooter reboot (which was horribly mismanaged and killed off before it even had a chance to get going), are there other examples of these characters failing to find success since the original Valiant days? So far the sales on these books have been a rousing success in the modern comics market so I don't see a reason to really get down on them. As you say, the big drops are fairly common. Bigger drops are probably to be expected given the multitude of covers Dynamite prints for first issues relative to later issues. Also, the stories and art have been really, really good. I'm hopeful these books will find a sustainable audience.

April sales figures for Gold Key titles:

Turok # 3...9586. #2...11,296. #1...30,722.

Magnus #2...9898. #1...27,497

Solar #1...22,767.

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    April sales figures for Gold Key titles:

Turok # 3...9586. #2...11,296. #1...30,722.

Magnus #2...9898. #1...27,497

Solar #1...22,767.

Yeah, its a safe guess that the sales will even out around 9 to 10K copies.

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Yeah, its a safe guess that the sales will even out around 9 to 10K copies.
    I think Turok, Magnus & Solar will level out around 7-8K & Dr Spektor at 5K.