Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    https://twitter.com/MarkWaid

according to mark waid this was always intended as a mini series but nobody was very clear on that matter until now....still seems strange to mark this as a mini series and the rest as ongoing books
    This is more than a little deceptive on the part of Dynamite. If I had known this was going to be a strict miniseries, I might have waited for the trade rather than supporting it in single issues...

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Waid's book was NEVER promoted as being a mini until the issue #4 solicit, looks to me like Dynamite is up to their old tricks again.....

The book hasn't even launched yet and they have zero faith in it, and judging by the huge drops in orders between the first and second issues I would say its only a matter of time before this line is gone.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Not a good sign:

DOCTOR SPEKTOR: MASTER OF THE OCCULT #4
    (W) Mark Waid (A) Neil Edwards (CA) Christian Ward
    FINAL ISSUE! Is Spektor the Key? Why is everything around him falling away? Will his ultimate decision destroy the universe… or unlock it? It’s magical mysterious mayhem from superstar Marl Waid (Daredevil) and Neil Edwards (Fantastic Four)!
    Well that makes it easy to just trade wait it since I don't even have issue #1 yet.
    Dynamite never did solicit it as a mini series. Minis are always(it seems) solicited as minis upfront. This reeks of uncertainity at Dynamite.
    That said, Doctor Spektor is the most unproven and among their GK books the one I could understand being a mini since the character has all but been out of print with new material, even old, for decades now. They should always have said it was a mini and been upfront that if it succeeds we'll do a full ongoing in our Wave 2(which they've hinted at).
    This brings up a valid question---is Wave 2 still on the table? Now that it seems the DynaKey line is already on uneven footing what should we expect?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I'm telling ya', Dynamite should just adopt the 4 issue miniseries format for their entire output. Valiant seems to be moving this way and Dark Horse does this with a majority of their titles, it would help them greatly in the long run.

Valiant is not moving that way for their entire output. Their core event series is a mini, and the Shadowman mini is an attempt at a soft reboot almost before returning to the ongoing. Making it the first to do the hiatus thing.

Dr.Mirage is the only real first example of VEI doing a mini as a tryout for a character.
    They will still have their core books as ongoing: XO, Harbinger, A&A, Unity, Q&W, Rai while doing this phased hiatus such as Eternal Warrior and Bloodshot will be doing.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Dr.Mirage is the only real first example of VEI doing a mini as a tryout for a character.
    They will still have their core books as ongoing: XO, Harbinger, A&A, Unity, Q&W, Rai while doing this phased hiatus such as Eternal Warrior and Bloodshot will be doing.
    Not true. A&A finishes after this arc and, from what I've heard, Q&W too in the near future. We get an A&A/Q&W mini soon. Harbinger is also, I believe, going on "haitus", and Bloodshot and Eternal Warrior are both on or about to be on haitus too.

I imagine Unity will be an ongoing that contains all the characters without their own regular ongoings.

Anyway, on the topic of Dynamite, Magnus #3 was EXCELLENT. Van Lente doing great things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
    Anyway, on the topic of Dynamite, Magnus #3 was EXCELLENT. Van Lente doing great things.
    yeah, that was pretty good. liked the tv show beginning of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
    Not true. A&A finishes after this arc and, from what I've heard, Q&W too in the near future. We get an A&A/Q&W mini soon. Harbinger is also, I believe, going on "haitus", and Bloodshot and Eternal Warrior are both on or about to be on haitus too.

I imagine Unity will be an ongoing that contains all the characters without their own regular ongoings.

I'm not sure what part your countering entirely? That A&A along with Q&W are ongoings that are going are to be on hiatus? You've not read they are ending, you've read that Delinquents is taking the place of both books for 4 months as a mini. Both will resume as ongoings after that.
    Eternal Warrior is on hiatus. Bloodshot & Hard Corps "ends" at issue #23 and it's a nomenclature game. After BS has a stint in UNITY look for Bloodshot to resume solo lead status early '15 with issue #24.

You guys should head on over to the official Dynamite boards and show some love for these books there, it's the best way to tell them personally how much you care. I'm doing so right now and I think the more we discuss these books there the better chance we have of them seeing just how dedicated of a fan base these characters have.

Just a thought.

Issue #2 of Solar: Man of the Atom was tight, my only complaint would be Erica's excessive swearing. Other than that she's adapting nicely as seen at the end of the issue and started using her powers against her attacker and the story so far has been very enjoyable, I just worry about the long-term success of this book with the female lead. Personally I don't mind it, but heaven knows that the long time fans of this characters are probably going through a mental breakdown right now because of the change. I really don't think she'll last and we'll get her father back sooner than later, probably by issue 6, but I'm enjoying it all nonetheless. Keep it up Dynamite!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bslythegamerguy View Post
    I'm telling ya', Dynamite should just adopt the 4 issue miniseries format for their entire output. Valiant seems to be moving this way and Dark Horse does this with a majority of their titles, it would help them greatly in the long run.
    My feeling on this is that mini's are the only way to protect the entire line from the speculators market.These jerks are hitting Valiant #1's hard and fast because the books look too damn good visually and skipping the rest of the runs.With some stores cutting back on issues ordered it's making it harder for legitimate readers to climb on board if they missed anything on the pull list. The drop in issues after #1 make it even harder for the stores to carry these titles. Has anybody here got the E Bay resale numbers? I may be wrong here but what do you guys think? Valiant's cult status among former Valiant fans may be working against it because speculators see this as potential to make a killing.
    Last edited by alton; 05-30-2014 at 01:32 PM.

The idea that there is still a "speculator" market in comics utterly boggles my mind.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bslythegamerguy View Post
    Issue #2 of Solar: Man of the Atom was tight, my only complaint would be Erica's excessive swearing. Other than that she's adapting nicely as seen at the end of the issue and started using her powers against her attacker and the story so far has been very enjoyable, I just worry about the long-term success of this book with the female lead. Personally I don't mind it, but heaven knows that the long time fans of this characters are probably going through a mental breakdown right now because of the change. I really don't think she'll last and we'll get her father back sooner than later, probably by issue 6, but I'm enjoying it all nonetheless. Keep it up Dynamite!
    I just think it's a little annoying that she's constantly using words the comics can't actually show. I like her personality but I dunno how far it can take her as a lead character.

New to the fold...

I was previously getting DC's Earth-2, Worlds' Finest and Batman '66, but after a bout of being unemployed (and already behind on issues), I figured it was time for me to finally break free (the DC Comics forum kinda helped).
    I've been eye-ing Valiant's stuff on Comixology, and with Dynamite now doing the Gold Key titles, I thought it would be a perfect time to waltz on over.

I picked up the Turok #1 and will go forward from there. May take me a while to catch up with you guys, so be gentle.

Was a bit bummed hearing that Doctor Spektor got cancelled, as it was the one that interested me the most. I'll still get it and hope we'll see a mini-series down the road to test its strength at a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by midas73 View Post
    The idea that there is still a "speculator" market in comics utterly boggles my mind.
    I agree. It appears to be speculation on which VARIANT cover will be in high monetary demand though and not actually pertaining to the content of the book itself anymore like used to be the case.

I read Solar #2 and I'm curious about what they seemingly are planning for Erica, or at least her opening arc. Based on the cover for #3 and all it appears she's being set up to have a stint in the red suit.
    I plan to read Magnus #3 and Doctor Spektor #1 tonight, still irked at it's shift to just a mini.