Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I did read Magnus #3 and Dr. Spektor #1 last night.

Magnus continues to surprise me. I was a bit surprised at the "Leeja Kane, Human Hunter" remote reality TV take though. I think the events of the issue are going to create sympathizers for Magnus since he's seen not harming and even helping some robots. If the robot means no harm then neither does he.

Spektor #1 was a good read. It seems even more obvious that this book was intended to be the bridging book for all the GK Heroes at Dynamite. That moment when he's with the psychic and it opens up the realms and he gets a glimpse of Solar, Magnus & Turok are designed to be important. I was going to just trade wait this but since orders are likely to be low I may as well have the issues. Since I dropped She-Hulk, this will be done by summer and I can get something else in the Fall. Preferably an ongoing....come on Barb Wire or King Tiger.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I agree. It appears to be speculation on which VARIANT cover will be in high monetary demand though and not actually pertaining to the content of the book itself anymore like used to be the case.
    You got it right E-Bay has spawned a whole new generation and spin on speculation.People have walked into my LCS not even as readers just waiting to cherry pick #1's. I say switch the whole industry to trades and be done with the floppies. Dear God what am I saying? I love floppies!

If that happened, the variant covers game would switch to trades. But I just don't get it. I do get that the artwork is typically much nicer/much cooler on the variants, but it's not like you hang these things on your walls. They're going to be bagged, boarded and boxed. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of value in these variants.

I know right. Sure there is a return for the person willing to either order heavy enough to get a variant in hopes he can jack the price and get a return on the pile of books going into his $1 boxes + whatever sticker price he applies to said variant OR track them down thru other means.

But really, for the end purchaser, what is the value? As Midas73 noted, you don't display them? They go into box, hardly ever to see the light of day as you pursue the next "gotta have it" retailer incentive variant.

Uh oh. As far as my DCBS account tells me, Turok #5 didn't ship last week and neither Magnus #4 nor Flash Gordon #3 will ship on time this week. They're beginning to fall behind.....

Meanwhile, Valiant continues to hit the mark pretty much every time.

Oh, I read Turok #4, Magnus #3 and Solar #2 and really liked all of them, especially Turok which has just been great. It pains me to say this, but all three are better than the Shooter Dark Horse reboots by a longshot. Here's hoping they *last* longer than the Shooter Dark Horse reboots too...

Magnus and Solar I agree with, better than the Shooter relaunch attempt at DH. Although since Solar got 8 issues by the end of that a structure and path was coming more into focus. However, Turok was better at DH than this DynaKey version for my tastes.

I think we hear of the end of DynaKey by years end if, IF these delays keep up.
    I know Dinesh & VEI said their fine concentrating on their original characters, which they are doing 90% an excellent job on(seriously you should pick up UNITY and RAI), but if they could outright purchase lock/stock barrel all materials/right/TM/CR to Turok, Magnus & Solar I'd welcome them "home" to VALIANT in a heart beat. Be fully owned parts of the family this time!

I really enjoyed Doctor Spektor. I think the character has so much potential. I really hope this will be just the first of many mini's.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-20-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Magnus and Solar I agree with, better than the Shooter relaunch attempt at DH. Although since Solar got 8 issues by the end of that a structure and path was coming more into focus. However, Turok was better at DH than this DynaKey version for my tastes.

I think we hear of the end of DynaKey by years end if, IF these delays keep up.
    I know Dinesh & VEI said their fine concentrating on their original characters, which they are doing 90% an excellent job on(seriously you should pick up UNITY and RAI), but if they could outright purchase lock/stock barrel all materials/right/TM/CR to Turok, Magnus & Solar I'd welcome them "home" to VALIANT in a heart beat. Be fully owned parts of the family this time!
    Or fully owned as a new Gold Key company and throw in the Western Publishing titles as well.

May sales figures for Gold Key titles:

Turok #4...8426. # 3...9586. #2...11,296. #1...30,722.

Magnus #3...8333. #2...9898. #1...27,497

Solar #2...8918. #1...22,767.

Dr Spektor #1...16,471.

Looks like the titles are leveling off around 8000.
    Last edited by md62; 06-16-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midas73 View Post
    Uh oh. As far as my DCBS account tells me, Turok #5 didn't ship last week and neither Magnus #4 nor Flash Gordon #3 will ship on time this week. They're beginning to fall behind.....
    Magnus #4 should be out this week. PREVIEWS' website shows it for Wednesday. My LCS didn't have it on their pull list, but occasionally they accidentally miss titles with so many to list.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Magnus #4 should be out this week. PREVIEWS' website shows it for Wednesday. My LCS didn't have it on their pull list, but occasionally they accidentally miss titles with so many to list.
    Yep. Magnus is now in my DCBS cart, but Turok #5 is still missing and is now 2 weeks late. Solar #3 and Flash Gordon #3 are also both late. Boo!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by midas73 View Post
    If that happened, the variant covers game would switch to trades. But I just don't get it. I do get that the artwork is typically much nicer/much cooler on the variants, but it's not like you hang these things on your walls. They're going to be bagged, boarded and boxed. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of value in these variants.
    You may be right but I think the higher cost to buy trades would reduce publisher,fan and speculator interest in Variant cover trades. I certainly couldn't afford it. May help bring the focus back to actually reading and supporting the books and keep the sales numbers on later Volumes from crashing in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Not a good sign:

DOCTOR SPEKTOR: MASTER OF THE OCCULT #4
    (W) Mark Waid (A) Neil Edwards (CA) Christian Ward
    FINAL ISSUE! Is Spektor the Key? Why is everything around him falling away? Will his ultimate decision destroy the universe… or unlock it? It’s magical mysterious mayhem from superstar Marl Waid (Daredevil) and Neil Edwards (Fantastic Four)!
    Did not know this. Picked up #1 due to Mark Waid writing it.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-
    Benjamin Franklin

Is anyone seriously surprised that Dynamite is having issues keeping a monthly schedule?

Perhaps some folks just tuned in for the Gold Key characters.... its not a new thing guys.

Yup. Just tuned in for Gold Key. I've been spoiled by Valiant, which has a 100% on time shipping record for monthly titles (they've screwed up a few collected editions).