Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by midas73 View Post
    Yup. Just tuned in for Gold Key. I've been spoiled by Valiant, which has a 100% on time shipping record for monthly titles (they've screwed up a few collected editions).
    Im just counting my blessings that Dynamite hasnt made any printing mistakes on these books, they shipped issues on both Warlord of Mars and the previous volume of Flash Gordon in which a page or two had the wrong word balloons... Honestly I had sworn off their stuff but Magnus and Solar lured me back. I hope they can keep up the current quality which I personally find more important than a week or two delayed releases.

Valiants overall quality has indeed been much higher since they relaunched, not even a single typo AFAICT.
    Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 06-21-2014 at 01:39 PM.

I read comics because I like COMICS. I like how the medium delivers a story. It is my preferred delivery of fiction.

I do not watch much television. I don't like watching any TV drama shows. I dislike the writing, the acting, and the glacial pace (lots of blather).

Thus...

I HATE COMIC BOOKS THAT TRY TO BE A TV SHOW. I absolutely loathe the reality show element of Magnus. I hated the TV show element in Spektor so much I didn't even finish reading the comic. I want to get AWAY from television...and here Dynamite/Gold Key keeps shoving TV into the comics.

For this reason, plus the fact that I have zero interest in a female replacement for Dr. Solar, I am struggling to continue buying and reading this line of comics.

I finally read Dr. Spektor #1 and enjoyed it. I can see why it was intended as a miniseries. It reminds me a bit of Kings Watch in that regard. The latest Magnus was OK but kinda jumped around and was a little disjointed. Like when Magnus gets punched through the ground and suddenly H8r is right there. It's still pretty good and I like the direction its taking.

BANNED

well, i guess my initial excitement for these Gold Key books has simmered down some, but i still feel like Turok and Magnus are both pretty good.

Solar on the other hand i'm not really feeling. i might drop it after the first arc concludes...

Magnus #4 was great. Like Midas said, perhaps a little jumpy, but the whole reality TV angle was very creative and added a lot of enjoyment. From the snappy pace to the witty humor to the colorful artwork, this book is just plain fun, and I hope it continues for as long as possible.

With Ghostbusters ending this fall, Magnus could easily find it's way to the top of my favorite current books.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

I have to say that the reality TV angle has been what Ive liked the least about Magnus. Its not s big deal, but its annoying.

Hope it'll just go away sooner rather than later.

It's not like the book is built around the reality TV angle. It was only really used in issue #4, and I can't imagine it'll continue to be a major thing.
    My Blog | Tumblr

Yeah. It seems like it was a device to get Magnus visible to the masses. Now that's done, and especially since it "backfired" I doubt it will continue to be much of a plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    It's not like the book is built around the reality TV angle. It was only really used in issue #4, and I can't imagine it'll continue to be a major thing.
    #3 and 4. And as I said, its not a big deal - annoying is all.

Picked up Magnus #0 and #5 yesterday. I didn't really like #0, but I think it was just a little more cerebral than I was expecting, so I may have to give a second read. However, #5 was a fantastic start to the new arc. Great action scene half way through when the Harvesters showed up, and a new subplot was introduced for Leeja that looks interesting. I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but . . . I love this series!
    My Blog | Tumblr

Magnus is the best series on the stands right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but . . . I love this series!
    Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Magnus is the best series on the stands right now...
    I'm just gonna dogpile on the Magnus love-fest. Turok and Doctor Spektor are fine books, but Magnus is the real standout. I hate that it won't get the attention it deserves.

June sales figures for Gold Key titles:

Turok #5...7803. #4...8426. # 3...9586. #2...11,296. #1...30,722.

Magnus #4...7898. #3...8333. #2...9898. #1...27,497

Solar #3...7408. #2...8918. #1...22,767.

Dr Spektor #1...16,471.
    Last edited by md62; 08-14-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Dang !

I'm enjoying all 4 of the titles.

I wonder if things don't turn around, if Dynamite would consider going digital-only to keep them alive ? They're probably going to die, but I hope not. If they do, I wish Valiant would just buy the characters outright from Gold Key. They're too good to just leave to wither.

Maybe they could combine them into a single title. Why wouldn't that work ? Not every character needs their own title. Put em all in a shared universe title if this is where the sales are going.
    Last edited by hondobrode; 07-17-2014 at 05:56 PM.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

Getting into cancellation waters...
    Shame, Magnus is a great book.