Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Solar #4 was OK. Moving a little too slow for me at this point. IMO Magnus is by far the best GK book.

So I just read every #1, 1-2 of Spektor, and 1-4 of Turok and really liked all of them!
    Solar was probably the weakest, because I still don't really know anything about him (besides he has Dr. Manhattan powers).

Dr. Spektor kind of blew me away. I was literally rolling my eyes for a good majority of the issue, but when it showed Spektor freaking out in his bed, it completely flipped for me, and became infinitely more interesting. The ending with the cameos from Magnus, Solar, and Turok was brilliant and totally unexpected. I've never changed my mind about a comic that drastically while reading it. Can't wait for the rest.
    >Reads the rest of thread
    Damn it! Only 2 more issues!?

I was very impressed with Magnus as well, and fully intend to read the rest of the series. I was hooked from the very beginning with the weird robot/dad relationship, the pseudo-1984 environment, and the touching relationship with his wife. His time jump was super confusing to the reader, but I think that was the entire point. We're supposed to be as confused and afraid as he is. One thing I didn't really understand was how he disposed of those robots so easily. I can't complain too much about that though because I was wearing a huge smile the entire time he was destroying them.
    And Turok... This got me off guard. I was fully expecting to dislike this series, but it's just so much fun! Turok is one of the most exciting badasses to root for in a comic. Second only to maybe Batman. The alternate-history was very interesting as well. It really showed just how shitty it would've been to be a Native American when white people landed and assumed they were all savages. And dinosaurs! Mother f******g dinosaurs! Him creating a bond with the Red Drake and subsequently getting chased by the T-Rex thing into the crusader's camp was glorious and insanely cool. My one complaint is that he used the exact same tactic twice to get rid of the T-Rex. It's really not huge deal though because both moments were just as awesome.

But that poor puppy!
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 07-26-2014 at 09:57 AM.

The latest issue of Magnus was pretty great, those harvesters are quite nasty.

Magnus' split second hesitation was so human

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

So I was thinking about picking up Solar from here, but I see that people are fearful of its sales numbers. Are they really that bad? I have not looked up other Dynamite sales numbers, but is Solar and the rest of these really that low compared?

If it is really that close to get canceled then I won't pick it up. But I will read issue 1 anyways. Trying to add a bit more to my pull now that I am losing for DC titles.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    So I was thinking about picking up Solar from here, but I see that people are fearful of its sales numbers. Are they really that bad? I have not looked up other Dynamite sales numbers, but is Solar and the rest of these really that low compared?

If it is really that close to get canceled then I won't pick it up. But I will read issue 1 anyways. Trying to add a bit more to my pull now that I am losing for DC titles.
    The Gold Key books are selling in the 7000's. Dynamite's recent canceled titles had sales below 4000.

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    The Gold Key books are selling in the 7000's. Dynamite's recent canceled titles had sales below 4000.
    See thats what I thought, I thought they were selling ok. But a few people here are making it seem like they are on the chopping block and I don't know why haha.

I went out and got issue one, read it just now, I like Solar so far. I placed a order for the issues I missed and added it to my pull.

Is it a mini series or?
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 07-30-2014 at 12:14 PM.
    Pulls:

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

So the Solar book is essentially.....Firestorm.
    Not that I'll stop reading it but #4 essentially has that as the thrust of the book for the foreseeable future issues if not in totality.

Pretty sure I can keep committed till the end of the line. I'm not expecting a Phase 2 at this point.

Magnus has been the best and that surprises me. Turok I can barely tolerate...that also surprises me.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Is Solar a mini series or?
    Magnus, Solar & Turok are ongoings. Dr Spektor is a 4 issue mini series.

Magnus, Solar & Turok are ongoings. Dr Spektor is a 4 issue mini series.
    Thanks I figured it out haha. I tweeted the writer and he told me. Thanks though! I am looking forward to catching up.
    Pulls:

Has Doctor Spektor #3 come out yet?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Has Doctor Spektor #3 come out yet?
    Delayed until 8/20/14.

Caught up and bought all of the Solar issues! They were really good. I am liking this series so far.
    Pulls:

Delayed until 8/20/14.
    Thank you so much. I thought I might have missed it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

While I don't want to fan the flames of cancellation speculation, the last few Turok issues in particular make me feel the end is in sight. Maybe this was always the plan, but it feels like the story jumped to an entirely new chapter without a satisfying conclusion to the initial chapter. It felt to me like they had a lot further they could have taken it with the Europeans before moving on, but now the story has completely changed (yes, I'm trying to remain vague so as not to spoil things too much). Hopefully I'm wrong, but I can't help felling like Pak is rushing his story to get the big "beats" in before the book cancelled. (I also don't love the new artist, but I'm adjusting on that front. It's not that the art is bad, but I really liked the style of the initial art team.)

Magnus has continued to be really strong. I have yet to read the most recent Solar issue...

Quote Originally Posted by midas73 View Post
    While I don't want to fan the flames of cancellation speculation, the last few Turok issues in particular make me feel the end is in sight. Maybe this was always the plan, but it feels like the story jumped to an entirely new chapter without a satisfying conclusion to the initial chapter. It felt to me like they had a lot further they could have taken it with the Europeans before moving on, but now the story has completely changed (yes, I'm trying to remain vague so as not to spoil things too much). Hopefully I'm wrong, but I can't help felling like Pak is rushing his story to get the big "beats" in before the book cancelled. (I also don't love the new artist, but I'm adjusting on that front. It's not that the art is bad, but I really liked the style of the initial art team.)

Magnus has continued to be really strong. I have yet to read the most recent Solar issue...
    Really? I think they left as something to take care of later. I feel like it changed arcs so he can change and grow and then go back to save his old village.

Also I have read everything in this line now. I am loving all of it! Solar is my favorite so far. But I am like Magnus a lot too.
    Pulls: