Incredible Member

Default Should Stephanie Brown Make A Clean Break With Gotham & Batman?

Should Stephanie Brown Make A Clean Break With Gotham? I mean she leaves town and sets up shop in another city either as a costume hero or as PI or something like that? Maybe, she takes Tim Drake with her?

Because batman never going to let her do her own thing in Gotham and she could really do well on her own!

What do you all think, no idea to crazy or opinion to unusually here?
    Last edited by gwhh; 11-15-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Storywise, maybe, but business wise she just wouldn't survive out in the wider DCU by herself. Why take a character away from an association that helps them sell better?

Given the way Eternal's set her story up now? No. She knows her father was part of something larger going on in the city, and that is a pretty interesting hook to keep her in Gotham, I think. Also, story-wise, Batman increasingly seems to have little say in who's doing what in Gotham and - as we can see from the preview issue of Eternal that popped up in Batman, has been forced to accept people like Harper operating in Gotham out of necessity.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

All good points here. Unless handled by a deft writer it is hard for Steph to be the uplifting character that gained her much of her popularity while based in a city obsessed with its eternally overwhelming gloom and doom. That's why Batgirl had to be moved across the river to even attempt to lighten her up. Whether or not that works for Barbara is yet to be seen.

My solution for Steph would be to put her in college and put her to work for some professor type who sends her on missions outside of Gotham. That way she maintains connections to her origins in Gotham but the stories could frequently take place outside of the city and be more rollicking adventures rather than depressing crime dramas. I'd have Cass show up as an exchange student or something so they could become friends again. That was more or less my approach when I wrote sixteen issues of fan fiction for Steph as if she were part of the New52 when it started. It felt like it worked pretty well.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post
    All good points here. Unless handled by a deft writer it is hard for Steph to be the uplifting character that gained her much of her popularity while based in a city obsessed with its eternally overwhelming gloom and doom. That's why Batgirl had to be moved across the river to even attempt to lighten her up. Whether or not that works for Barbara is yet to be seen.

My solution for Steph would be to put her in college and put her to work for some professor type who sends her on missions outside of Gotham. That way she maintains connections to her origins in Gotham but the stories could frequently take place outside of the city and be more rollicking adventures rather than depressing crime dramas. I'd have Cass show up as an exchange student or something so they could become friends again. That was more or less my approach when I wrote sixteen issues of fan fiction for Steph as if she were part of the New52 when it started. It felt like it worked pretty well.
    That pretty much sounds exactly like where Batgirl was going just before the reboot. Oh well.