Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default GeekMom Interview w/Meredith Finch + Variant Cover

Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

All-New Member

I prefer the metal part to wrap around her top, and not just like a metal plate stick onto her chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Hmmm... Mixed feelings about her words. Good that she seems to have a game plan for how she wants to portray Diana's life throughout the story, but bad that she seems to have ignored the history of the character. I find it hard to believe that we're going to see much of interest from a writer who doesnt seem inclined to explore more than a one dimensional "love" based character. Maybe I'm reading to much into her words though. Guess we'll all find out in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Hmmm... Mixed feelings about her words. Good that she seems to have a game plan for how she wants to portray Diana's life throughout the story, but bad that she seems to have ignored the history of the character. I find it hard to believe that we're going to see much of interest from a writer who doesnt seem inclined to explore more than a one dimensional "love" based character. Maybe I'm reading to much into her words though. Guess we'll all find out in a few days.
    Every recent writer has said essentially the same thing. Is it that hard to find someone who has read at least some Wonder Woman before (beyond reading the last person who was on the book)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewing_A23 View Post
    I prefer the metal part to wrap around her top, and not just like a metal plate stick onto her chest.
    I know that comics arent supposed to be realistic, but that cant happen. You cant put it on, and when you do, you wont be able to breath because your chest needs to expand and retract for breathing. Also, the torso isnt shaped like a perfect circle so the metal would look weird trying to follow the body's natural curves.

Ah... i'm overthinking it i guess.

You mean this?
    GM: What Wonder Woman story do you think best demonstrates her role as a feminist role model?

MF: Being a relative newcomer to comics, I have really tried to stay away from past incarnations. I don’t want to look too far back on what has been done because looking at the incredible history and trying to live up to it can be crippling. I want to move forward and continue to explore what has been established for her in the new 52.
    I sort of understand where she's coming from to be honest. All writers usually do their own thing, Azzarello certainly did. So let's see what she has to offer and let's judge how close she is to past iterations after she publishes her first book.
    GM: You have written one comic book story to date. Why do you think you are the right person to write Wonder Woman at a time when her visibility has never been higher?

MF: I don’t know that I can unabashedly say that I’m the right person for the job.
    I am starting to like her. I like modest people and her thinking this way and being cautious sounds good.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I believe Azzarello said some very similar things when he first took over Wonder Woman. I believe it was along the lines that he was never really interested in her before, hadn't read much of any previous runs, and that none of her rogues were memorable. In light of this, I get the impression that you liked Azz's run quite a bit so you might end up feeling the same way about Finch's. She has said that Diana has many interesting villains and that the Angle Man intrigues here quite a bit. The last bit alone gives me great hopes that she'll do her best to make Wonder Woman shine as if someone is interested in using a lower-level villain like the Angle Man that most writers turn their noses up at, I think it's pretty clear that they're willing to put in a lot of effort to build up Diana's world.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 11-16-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

On one hand I get what you are saying about Diana's past and Meredith apparently not reading much of it.

On the other however, I do see where Meredith is coming from.
    A) It is the new 52, she isn't supposed to be beholden to what came before the relaunch.
    B) It can be intimidating if you think you need to somehow incorporate or pay homage to all of Diana's history.
    C) As a writer, you could end up being more or less influenced by certain stories that stuck with you and you end up copying parts of it unintentionally.

Mighty Member

While the art isn't my cup of tea (I'm more into euro-looking stuff) I'm hoping she pulls it off.

Her idea what she'll do with the character sounds good enough: "Wonder Woman is the epitome of love. Superman is good. Batman is brilliance. Wonder Woman brings the strength of unconditional love.". Making it more about her heart than gimmicks in her tool belt.

While I'm sure she's up to speed with earlier runs, starting off somewhat fresh is probably the best way of doing it. Regardless the writer.

I hope they get to do what they want with their story/stories. So that other writers also feels free while writing WW.

Astonishing Member

It seems to me that there's a fairly big spoiler in that interview:

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Finch
    ...she’s Queen of the Amazons....
    Did Hippolyta decline to take the queenship back? Or did she die while fighting the First Born?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt
    I am starting to like her. I like modest people and her thinking this way and being cautious sounds good.
    Agreed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Every recent writer has said essentially the same thing. Is it that hard to find someone who has read at least some Wonder Woman before (beyond reading the last person who was on the book)?
    Azzarello did some good research from Marston era. Is not like he never wrote the character before. He was going to do a homage to WW story before the reboot came and he pitched another story.

I find concerning that DC give WW to a new writer, a new writer that only read one run. I read more WW than her oO
    and to complete it, to a penciller that can't draw wonder woman to save his life. All I saw in this cover is a 15 years old in a uncomfortable pose and costume

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    On one hand I get what you are saying about Diana's past and Meredith apparently not reading much of it.

On the other however, I do see where Meredith is coming from.
    A) It is the new 52, she isn't supposed to be beholden to what came before the relaunch.
    B) It can be intimidating if you think you need to somehow incorporate or pay homage to all of Diana's history.
    C) As a writer, you could end up being more or less influenced by certain stories that stuck with you and you end up copying parts of it unintentionally.
    maybe you are right, but a guy like Morrison you can see that he know pretty well the characters he is writing, because he read previous runs.

everytime I see a interview I see that WW is going on the wrong direction.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 11-16-2014 at 10:33 AM.

BANNED

GM: What kind of storylines will be featured in your run?

MF: Our first arc will be focused on introducing a new villain to Diana’s life and we plan to explore more intimately how Diana is affected by the different roles she plays in her life—she’s a member of the Justice League, she’s in a relationship with Superman, she’s The God of War and has siblings and she’s Queen of the Amazons.
    So no more acting like Justice League and SM/WW don't exist? Awesome.

GM: What Wonder Woman story do you think best demonstrates her role as a feminist role model?

MF: Being a relative newcomer to comics, I have really tried to stay away from past incarnations. I don’t want to look too far back on what has been done because looking at the incredible history and trying to live up to it can be crippling. I want to move forward and continue to explore what has been established for her in the new 52.
    Black hole question evaded, good job.

GM: You have written one comic book story to date. Why do you think you are the right person to write Wonder Woman at a time when her visibility has never been higher?

MF: I don’t know that I can unabashedly say that I’m the right person for the job.

However, I do know that I have a deep affection for the character and feel really connected to who she is and what she’s all about. Being a mother is such an amazing, joyful, intense experience, and it’s that unconditional love that I feel for my children that I’m bringing to the character of Wonder Woman. It takes us mortals a long time to garner the kind of wisdom Diana seems to have been born with. Hopefully I can share some of my knowledge and experience with her as we get to know each other.
    Undermining a loaded question with humility? Nicely done.

GM: Wonder Woman is an Amazon and therefore has a strong physical presence and a maturity beyond her years. Why do you think David Finch is the best person to portray her, especially as his art been criticized as too much T&A in the past?

MF: When you have a career that is a long and as successful as David’s I think that it is clear that the majority of people are simply enjoying the beauty of the artwork that David puts on the page. When I first met him I was absolutely blown away by his talent. It comes very naturally to him and he only has to decide he’s going to do something, like painting for example, and suddenly he’s a painter. The longer I’ve known him, the more I learned about how seriously he takes his craft.

I hope that people look at this book and really appreciate his level of talent and the beauty of his art.
    Complete refusal to throw your husband under the bus even after being baited? Oh, I like this lady.

BANNED

she has to be. she only has two books on her credit.

Astonishing Member

From the tease in the back of the books (in which the notes in the script are quoted as describing Diana as "pissed" at Swamp Thing, and there seems to be an implication that her role as God of War is "taking a toll" on her reactions or her personality) I was afraid they might go "one-dimensional" in the direction of war instead of love. So to me, these "love" comments are promising; if she's sometimes acting war-like but she's really all about love, maybe there really is more than one dimension there. Of course, "love" can mean a lot of things, and I hope that Finch is talking about the kind of compassion we've seen in Azz and many other runs, and not just about love motivating her to take off in a rage against those who have harmed her loved ones (as in Trinity War and elsewhere in JL).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post

maybe you are right, but a guy like Morrison you can see that he know pretty well the characters he is writing, because he read previous runs.
    I would say thats because it's where Morrison gets his strength as a writer and because he tends to use stuff that even us readers find obscure.