Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions?

Reader 1st, Collector 2nd Captain_Arrow's Avatar

Default Suggestions?

I would like to add a few Indie books to my monthly pull.

Currently I have none (unless you count Image, Icon and Vertigo) but have been debating on picking up Dark Horses Resurrectionists and Valiants Punk Mambo might do that this week.

Was wondering if any of you had some suggestions?

Doesnt matter to me if its old, new or not even released yet. If it is a longer older run Id prefer to be able to pick it up in a TPB.

My interest are wide basically as long as the writing tells a good story and the art is worth looking at Im game. I might looking into picking up some of Jeff Lemire's upcoming Valiant material.

Punk Mambos just a one shot if you didnt know.
    Though Valiant have been putting out great stuff since they came back. The upcoming The Valiant mini is being touted as a good jump on point. The new Lemire and Kindt books will probably be good jump on points to Valiant too.

Otherwise, just to through out (a small) list of recs, and ignoring Image and Vertigo;

2000AD material; Dredd, Strontium Dogg, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors etc
    Hellboy & the BPRD
    Atomic Robo
    Locke & Key
    Sin City
    From Hell
    Strangers in Paradise
    Blacksad
    The Boys
    Battlefields/War Stories by Ennis
    Maus
    Mind MGMT
    Bone
    Daytripper
    Usagi Yojimbo
    The Sixth Gun
    Dark Horses Conan stuff

I know im missing some obvious ones but its a start
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 11-16-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Here are some good ones:

Usagi Yojimbo
    The Mask of the Red Panda
    Hellboy
    Itty Bitty Hellboy
    Itty Bitty Mask
    Wayward
    Fiction Squad
    Cleopatra in Space
    Jim Henson's The Storyteller:Witches
    Rocketeer
    47 Ronin (Stan Sakai does the art)

You can choose one among my personal favourites:
    1. The Boys
    2. Sin City
    3. Hellboy
    4. Cleopatra in Space

Valiant has done a lot of great things. If you want to go back and read some back issues, there is a great story to be had. X-O Manowar just released it's 30th issue today and the whole run has been very good. Harbinger ran 25 issues and was great. These are the entry point to all things that matter in the Valiant universe. I would pick those up and read them through. At about issue 15 or so, Harbinger is a part of the 2013 Harbinger Wars event that was fantastic. It was tied in with Bloodshot which is a very entertaining read as well. This year, X-O Manowar got wrapped up in the Armor Wars event that was also a great read. So I very much recommend X-O Manowar and Harbinger as well as the two events.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been very good from IDW. I picked up much of the run during a Comixology sale back when the movie was being released and got hooked. I believe it is around issue 38 or so, and I would recommend it from issue #1 as well.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

Velvet by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting (Mainstream Marvel guys) doing outstanding work on their creator owned title. Plus Veil and Lazarus by Greg Rucka and artist friends. Two very dark weird books that are simply awesome.

On the lighter side I would suggest Uncle Grandpa and Over the Garden Wall from Boom! Studios. Two amazingly silly weird books with fun awesome artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Coverless View Post
    Velvet by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting (Mainstream Marvel guys) doing outstanding work on their creator owned title. Plus Veil and Lazarus by Greg Rucka and artist friends. Two very dark weird books that are simply awesome.
    Lazarus and Velvet are two of my favorite books just about each and every month.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

Letter 44 from Oni Press is very underrated IMO. I'm also a big fan of Dark Horse's Project Black Sky, i.e. X, Captain Midnight, Ghost etc...

Thanks for the reply's I waited a bit before responding in a attempt to get as many responses at once.

Sounds like Hellboy is on almost everyone's list. I believe I'll have to add that to my TPB wish lish.

I do plan on adding at least one Valiant title but looks like it might have to wait till I finish tracking down some other back issues first. I dont want to spread myself out to thin.

Velvet was suggested and I just got caught up on that. I remember seeing that when it first came out and I knew I had to get it but due to some personal issues I had to step away for a few months. All good now and how can one not like a Brubaker/Epting story?

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Have you tried any of Dark Horse’s Project Black Sky titles. Ghost is amazing. All their PBS minis and ongoing have been great.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Incredible Member

If digital is an option, there is a terrific Valiant sale going on over at Comixology thru 11/30:

https://www.comixology.com/Valiant-Sale/page/4450/

Just wanted to chime in and say Ive picked up Hellboy Seed of Destruction tpb, more to come for sure. Currently reading Sin City, on Vol.3 now cant put this thing down. I have 4 and 5 here going to have to pick up 6 and 7 for sure.

Oh yeah, when I got my trades of Sin City, I crushed those things out over a weekend. No stopping. The first four are 10/10 for me, five and six are 9/10, and number seven was maybe a 6-7/10.

Locke & Key is an absolute MUST
    Little Nemo Return to Slumberland has only 2 issues out so far so should be easy to find and is beautiful and should not be missed

Get The Boys for sure as Garth Ennis is amazing.