Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    What is wrong with the Morrison version?
    Nothing.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Stigmata. Superheroes cartoons are seen as a child media. Anime and cartoon satire sitcoms (like the Simpsons, family guy, South Park and American Dad) doesn't have the same stigmata since their contents is often not suited for children. Maybe they should just air some of the more mature animation movies DC had put out in recent years.
    First, you're missing Spawn, DC and Marvel's direct to DVD lines. Remember, DVD is what showed Fox the potencial of Family Guy and did something similar for Futurama. Second you're also forgetting about the superhero-comedy genre like Venture Bros., Frisky Dingo, Archer (not that Freakazoid and Tick appealed more to kids than adults), which I've been talking about from the start. I did recognize that doing Manga style is a long shot. Then again, one has to wonder if Young Justice would have done less well if directed to a slightly more mature audience in AS.

Airing the DC material as you said would be a brilliant idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    Not sure why you quoted me or compared Archer to Venture Bros. But if you watch Archer and Venture Bros. and think the writers of the former are better suited to write a superhero cartoon then we're clearly looking for very different things.
    I like both almost equally, only Archer has a lot more jokes and is a bit more addictive. It depends on the show. If they did Super Buddies, Giffen and DeMatteis (who has great experience with animation) would be the perfect as producers/head writers, but if the rest of the team had to be from either Archer or V Bros., I think Archer would fit better. However, both show have a darker humor than JLI, which was always along the lines of shows like Cheers, Friends, and Seinfeld (with a lot of Ghost Busters vibe).
    Last edited by Rafa-Rivas-2099; 11-17-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Fantastic Member

repeated 10 char
    Last edited by Rafa-Rivas-2099; 11-17-2014 at 05:22 PM.

BANNED

The complete Alan Moore's Swamp Thing with Japanese animation.Starman with Japanese animation.Sandman with japanese animation.Any of the great long DC storylines would be great on late Saturday night.Ellis and Millar's Authority runs would blow away alot of shit.You had drama comedy and action in those stories and it was more adult fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Probably just stigma. Stigmata is something entirely different, but humorous in this context.
    It was a typo but yeah if Adult Swim had a show with stigmata it surely wouldn't be a children show.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 11-17-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

Are we talking about a comedy or a serious action cartoon? I could imagine Adult Swim doing a DC cartoon comedy, but doing a well made action cartoon is far too expensive and risky for Adult swim.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by doodledude View Post
    The complete Alan Moore's Swamp Thing with Japanese animation.Starman with Japanese animation.Sandman with japanese animation.Any of the great long DC storylines would be great on late Saturday night.Ellis and Millar's Authority runs would blow away alot of shit.You had drama comedy and action in those stories and it was more adult fare.
    As long as the faces don't look too much like Japanimation. Bourassa is ok but many of the recent movies (which also tend to lack quality) tend to look too oriental. And remember, many of the series you are listing have spectacular artistic style, it would be shameful to throw that in favor of generic anime.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Are we talking about a comedy or a serious action cartoon? I could imagine Adult Swim doing a DC cartoon comedy, but doing a well made action cartoon is far too expensive and risky for Adult swim.
    About anything that would fit AS. The reason I started this thread is because I thought it would be awesome to adapt JLI/Super Buddies in a series similar to Archer or to have an animated version of Batman 66. I wanted to see how popular is that kind of thinking. I see that it looks like a longshot to everybody but the idea seems to be appealing.

Another related property they should revive is Freakazoid. It's audience was mostly teenagers and adults, so it shouldn't really need to change much. It'd just gain the type of freedom shows like Futurama, Harvey Birdman, the Simpsons or Bob's Burguers enjoy. So, hugbees!
    Last edited by Rafa-Rivas-2099; 11-17-2014 at 09:53 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    It was a typo but yeah if Adult Swim had a show with stigmata it surely wouldn't be a children show.
    Like Lucy, Daughter Of The Devil

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post
    As long as the faces don't look too much like Japanimation. Bourassa is ok but many of the recent movies (which also tend to lack quality) tend to look too oriental. And remember, many of the series you are listing have spectacular artistic style, it would be shameful to throw that in favor of generic anime.

About anything that would fit AS. The reason I started this thread is because I thought it would be awesome to adapt JLI/Super Buddies in a series similar to Archer or to have an animated version of Batman 66. I wanted to see how popular is that kind of thinking. I see that it looks like a longshot to everybody but the idea seems to be appealing.

Another related property they should revive is Freakazoid. It's audience was mostly teenagers and adults, so it shouldn't really need to change much. It'd just gain the type of freedom shows like Futurama, Harvey Birdman, the Simpsons or Bob's Burguers enjoy. So, hugbees!
    No I'm talking about serious style anime.Kawajiri Otomo Oshii styles.Anime got too sissy in the 2000s.Trying to appeal to young girls they lost their core audience.They only release good anime titles now years apart.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by doodledude View Post
    No I'm talking about serious style anime.Kawajiri Otomo Oshii styles.Anime got too sissy in the 2000s.Trying to appeal to young girls they lost their core audience.They only release good anime titles now years apart.
    I don't know if Japanese animation has become sissy. I only truly appreciate Cowboy Bebop, Agent Paranoia and Hayao Miyazaki films (I like Dragon Ball and Ranma, but as guilty pleasures, recognizing its lack of craftsmanship in several aspects).
    Sometimes you have to break paradigms. Animation has never been easier, so, I think it would be good to have Phil Bourassa explore possibilities with the ideal studio. Maybe a colaboration that gets aired both in Japan and the US, appealing to both audiences. Even if it doesn't come straight from a DC source. Maybe some sort of less stereotypical Super-Young Team or a Teen Titans Japan. Or maybe just presenting the DCU, with Bourassa's viauals as an anime. This means not taking the setting for granted, a lot more introspection on the fact that metahuman exists. Kind of like Watchmen, Top Ten or New Frontier do.