Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It could be a mini flashback to when Hera first turned Hippolyta to stone. It was raining then.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    what? so all characters that speak to swamp thing has to have a awful dialogue about vegetables?

time to get a pitch for DC
    Good grief, 'Sunny.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Yeah, he brought her back to life (in issue 33, I believe), though she was still stone. Pinsir may be right that the issue 36 scene with stone Hippolyta occurs before Azz's ending. Or maybe, for some reason that Finch will reveal, she reverted to stone off panel after the war was over. After all, in the interview that came out yesterday Finch referred tot Diana as "queen of the Amazons," which suggests to me that Hippolyta is probably either dead or somehow side-lined.
    Thanks for reminding me. So i have to ask: This was a big part of Azzarello's run, turning the Amazons into snakes and Hippolyta into a statue. Why would he leave it like that, why not capitalize on it? Did Finch ask him to leave her like that to make someone else the queen (possibly Diana) like we see in the solicit for the February issue? Otherwise it makes little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    The team is just following Azz's lead in which a story that can be told in 10 pages gets stretched out to 22.
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I pray that they follow his lead, because it was fantastic.
    There's a lot of things they could follow his lead, but stretching a story is the last aspect they should immitate.

I can't wait to see what the Finches do with Zola, Hermes and Swee P...u-uh--I mean...Zeke! Is Zeke a normal, mortal baby, now ..or the King of the Gods? Can't wait to see!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I love the art and the writing is quite good ... I'm definitely intrigued and on-board

The "Vegetative injustice" line isn't too bad, really ... it probably would have worked just as well had it simply read: "What injustice was worth so many lives?" ... still, the writing overall so far is good

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Thanks for reminding me. So i have to ask: This was a big part of Azzarello's run, turning the Amazons into snakes and Hippolyta into a statue. Why would he leave it like that, why not capitalize on it? Did Finch ask him to leave her like that to make someone else the queen (possibly Diana) like we see in the solicit for the February issue? Otherwise it makes little sense.
    If I remember right, Vonter Voman asked on Twitter why they didn't resolve Hippolyta's condition, and Azz said something like "Don't we have a responsibility to leave something for the next team to do?" I don't know if that means that he unilaterally decided to leave Finch this challenge/opportunity, of if he coordinated with her.

More generally, DiDio did say in an interview that Finch reached out to Azz and they talked. I imagine Azz would have left some dangling threads of his own accord; but if she wanted a plot thread left dangling, he was probably happy to oblige.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 11-18-2014 at 05:19 AM.

Looking forward to reading this Wednesday.

Vegetative isn't talking about just vegetables, it's talking about vegetation in general. Vegetation, which is pretty much all plants; that's kind of obvious.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    If I remember right, Vonter Voman asked on Twitter why they didn't resolve Hippolyta's condition, and Azz said something like "Don't we have a responsibility to leave something for the next team to do?" I don't know if that means that he unilaterally decided to leave Finch this challenge/opportunity, of if he coordinated with her.

More generally, DiDio did say in an interview that Finch reached out to Azz and they talked. I imagine Azz would have left some dangling threads of his own accord; but if she wanted a plot thread left dangling, he was probably happy to oblige.
    This seems more like editors idea, because in a omnibus(chiang and azz last goal before a trilogy movie) is much better have everything resolved.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoeus View Post
    Now that I checked the last issues of Azzarelo's WW I just reallized, HE NEVER EXPLAINED WHY HIPPOLYTA WAS STILL A STATUE, DID HE? He brought her back to life in issue #33, she was still a golem and left it there.
    A classic heroic trope is that one deceased or entombed will arise in the time of the greatest need of that hero's people. And once that need passes, the hero returns to her/his previous state (or if it was punishment for sin, the hero goes on to her/his reward). I just assumed that Azz was tapping into that trope, especially with the presence of Zeke/baby Zeus.

Since the Finches are going with the idea that Diana is queen, and solicits for #39 tell us that a new queen is selected by theh Amazons, it seems Hippolyte's not back yet and probably remains a statue.

BANNED

Like I said over in the other thread-

Huh. I couldn't have imagined it starting any worse. Random, deep-sounding monologue over dramatic scenary shots to seem important and poetic, and then the dialogue. Only two bubbles but... "Vegetative injustice". I don't even think Adam West's Batman would've said that.

I think that's on par with "sperm-bank".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    Vegetative isn't talking about just vegetables, it's talking about vegetation in general. Vegetation, which is pretty much all plants; that's kind of obvious.
    Sure, but I don't think that's the issue. "Injustice against vegetation" would be fine; heck, even "injustice against vegetables" would probably be better than "vegetative injustice." ("Injustice against vegetables" would probably sound more sarcastic, rather than just awakwardly phrased.)

To me, the reason that the phrase "vegetative injustice" is awkward is that it looks it should mean neither "injustice against vegetation" not "injustice against vegetables," but "injustice in a vegetative manner." (Think about the phrase "bestial injustice"; wouldn't you expect that to mean an injustice committed with bestial violence or fury, rather than injustice against beasts?) And "injustice in a vegetative manner" is kind of funny to think about--injustice that is so slow and passive that the evildoers seem comatose, perhaps?

But it's just one phrase, and though it strikes some of us as a clunker, it's not a big deal to me.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 11-18-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I have to say that I find it disappointing that a lot of the folks who chastised older Wonder Woman fans for not liking Azzarello's run are saying some of the same things they said about Azz's run about the Finchs' run but this time around, those reasons are somehow valid. What happened to the stance of trying something new? Or giving the run a fair read before taking jabs at it?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I have to say that I find it disappointing that a lot of the folks who chastised older Wonder Woman fans for not liking Azzarello's run are saying some of the same things they said about Azz's run about the Finchs' run but this time around, those reasons are somehow valid. What happened to the stance of trying something new? Or giving the run a fair read before taking jabs at it?
    Amen!

10char.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Its just beyond me why the line is getting so much attention in the first place. Some of my favorite comic writers employ goofy lines here and there. Sometimes Morrison speaks what seems to be a whole other language. Now I'm not comparing the Meredith Finch with him, so no need for anyone to go nuts, all I'm saying is that corny lines is kinda a superhero staple. Its an otherwise perfectly coherent line. I just don't get how this breaks the internet.