Amazing Member

Default Let's Talk Comics podcast interview with Mike Mignola

Cool interview!!!
    Here's Part One.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...756248890?mt=2

I enjoyed it a lot, I can't wait for the next part. If you don't have iTunes you can listen to it on the website:

http://www.letstalkcomics.com/ltc-ep...-mike-mignola/

Yeah, it's great, it contains numerous quotes from earlier interviews which I found to be just lushly memorable, like the "one-bedroom-apartment look" to name one.

It's as buff to the teeth as a skull seems to be saying 'neckid' smilingly.

I can't wait for the second part.

Plus I notice the interviewer pronounces Maleev as Muh-leave, whereas I'd expect it as being Mah-lay-Ev. Tomato!
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I've always said it Muh-Leave

I haven't really dug into this yet. I always find the levels on podcasts so disparate that it's actually hard to listen to it. Like one person is yelling, and the other is whispering.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I haven't really dug into this yet. I always find the levels on podcasts so disparate that it's actually hard to listen to it. Like one person is yelling, and the other is whispering.
    This one might have that, but I think the intention is to be dialing out any of the interviewer's reacting during the interviewee being to talk as much as possible.

Like when the interviewer speaks or whenever the interviewee speaks, only one of them is intended to be heard, but never the both of them - whereas the both of them being to become audible would easily occur since this podcast interview would basically originate as just a phone conversation instead of a face-to-face one?

If you would keep the volume levels just at normal, you would basically hear what you'd be intended to hear, even if in the back there could occur some hints of mumblings which needn't get interpreted or made out really?

As an aside:
    I often find myself visualizing recorded phone interviews like these as people constantly slipping covert spoons of yoghurt into their mouths while they talk. Like "Mmm - myep - m- I can still -m- recall like it was m-yesterday m-" etcetera.
    But often enough that stops for stuff becoming too interesting.

Now I kind of feel like yoghurt.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-21-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Spectacular Member

the interviewer's actually delightfully silent except for a few directing questions, mostly just let's Mike talk his ear off. had heard a lot of this before, but I didn't know he had such a big falling out with Marvel. was hoping he'd talk a bit about drawing Gotham by Gaslight, weird that no one in a podcast has ever really brought it up, at least the ones I've listened to.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lobster View Post
    was hoping he'd talk a bit about drawing Gotham by Gaslight, weird that no one in a podcast has ever really brought it up, at least the ones I've listened to.
    I agree that the great "Batman: Gotham by Gaslight" (1989) doesn't seem to get mentioned that often. Or hardly as much as I would expect it to have been or seem quite the major book.

Although then again I don't hold my own expectations in high regard since I'd be foreign and due to my non-nativeness to US markets I wouldn't be to know or tell what books would be major or needed to get talked about in podcasts. Also since my own experiences would be just personal ones.

But yeah, I would personally say that Gotham By Gaslight seemed huge, also in the sense as being a dedicated Mignola title.
    To me it seemed bigger than 'Cosmic Oddyssey' (1988) and bigger than 'Doom VS Strange: Triumph And Torment' (1989) because Gaslight seemed a pinnacle to the whole 'Elseworlds' bookline, a bookline which seemed to establish itself as something where it would be ok for creatives to be doing their own out-of-continuity thing.

As a means to cater to creatives to free them from restrictions and also to attract any readers who wouldn't be following comics next to the ones that would already.
    As another way onto catering to readers both diehard/traditional or new, both young or either 'mature'.

I will have (probably erroneously) assumed back in the day that 'Gotham By Gaslight' would have paved the way for 'Wolverine: The Jungle Adventure' (1990), the awesome fourpart Epic 'Fafhrd And the Gray Mouser' (1991-1992) or Chaykin's 'Ironwolf: the Fires of the Revolution' (1992-1993), as each of those titles appear so 'otherworldly or elseworld-like' distinctly.
    Of all these titles only 'Gotham By Gaslight' seemed most readily available to me, next to 'Cosmic Odyssey' possibly, but any of the other books won't have been around in my country for the most part back when they came out - as usually the biggest or most traditional selling books would find their way into shops most readily or likely.

I would like to know all there'd be to know about all these titles, in far more accurate and more interesting terms than just my own personal assumations, most definitely!

EDIT:
    Although I have to say I'm thrilled how in this podcast the awesome First Comics their Moorcock's Chronicles of Corum does get mentioned. Much a favorite of mine, or at least the Mignola-involved installments, which I thankfully managed to track down thanks to the internet around 2000 or so.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-22-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: as specified.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by gdeo View Post
    Thanks for the link. It was a great interview. Now I'm listening to other interviews in the back catalog.