Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1870
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    please don't tell me what to do, or talk at me like i am ignorant.

someone needs to take responsibility for this. either doom or scarlet.
    I doubt that will ever happen.

FFOme todays X-factor: Magneto: "Your sister's gone insane. AGAIN."

I don't think PAD likes Wanda very much

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    It happened in Latveria, right? Nothing black market about it when he's fully accredited as a prescribing MD and pharmacist (or equivalent for sorcerous purposes) in the relevant jurisdiction, is there?

Of course, he did give himself that accreditation, so there's a conflict of interest there to be sure. But given his relative competence in these matters as shown in comparison to Strange and Richards over the years, I think any issues with him as 'prescriber' have less to do with professional competence or legal standing, and more to do with possible ulterior motives. Sure, depending on which version of the story you believe, Doom either 1) royally screwed up, or 2) deliberately messed her up, but his track record when helping with such matters has historically been pretty good; I think the Wanda incident(s) may even be the major black marks against him.

But if we're continuing with (kind of distant) analogies to real world situations, this is no more problematic in theory than somebody in the US going to Mexico for certain surgical procedures and other treatments. That's not black market access to the treatment, even if the surgery or drug isn't allowed or approved in the US.
    Bah! Doom needs not your "accreditation".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post

I think it's a matter of indifference. Perhaps not Bendis level indifference, but in this case -unless I'm wrong- this is due to the inversion. But let's face it once a storyline sells; Jean with the Pheonix, Avengers/X-men fighting, heroes turning into villains... once it sells we are going to see it again and again and again until it stops selling. They will go to the well until it is dry and then they will dig down further hoping to find more water.
    Comic book writers will copy each other, try to top each other and in doing so will repeat and recycle plots. Maybe it's a case of showing that it can be done right this time, that a story of Wanda being crazy doesn't have to be as badly written as Avenger Dissasembled.

BANNED

Nah, he's just calling it like he sees it after reading 40+ years of comics with the Scarlet Witch in them. It's a part of her character, just not usually with such dire consequences. Like I said, his portrayal of Wanda almost had me liking her inside one issue, if he did a solo and actually did the work Heinberg couldn't be bothered to do and actually retconned what Wanda did I'd be fine with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think it's a matter of indifference. Perhaps not Bendis level indifference, but in this case -unless I'm wrong- this is due to the inversion. But let's face it once a storyline sells; Jean with the Pheonix, Avengers/X-men fighting, heroes turning into villains... once it sells we are going to see it again and again and again until it stops selling. They will go to the well until it is dry and then they will dig down further hoping to find more water.
    Comic book writers will copy each other, try to top each other and in doing so will repeat and recycle plots. Maybe it's a case of showing that it can be done right this time, that a story of Wanda being crazy doesn't have to be as badly written as Avenger Dissasembled.
    PAD takes a good shot at her and hits in two issues in a row, I don't think he is indifferent

Extraordinary Member

Unlike the Case of Marvel he remained a villain and left. The keep trying in Wanda's case to make the mass-murdering Psychopath the hero.
    Kang's a villain so he stays a villain, even if he sometimes helps the Avengers.

Wanda is a true hero and a prouder mutant than closet-case Xavier, and she stays that way despite Bendis's mistake.

If you want to turn a hero into a villain, you have to do the work, not just write one page where she's totally out of character. It's like if Joss Whedon wanted Wolverine to be a little British girl forever, he'd have had to write more than a few pages where he was a little British girl.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Nah, he's just calling it like he sees it after reading 40+ years of comics with the Scarlet Witch in them. It's a part of her character, just not usually with such dire consequences.
    She went insane twice in 50 years, the first time due to a concerted effort by Immortus, the second time due to (thanks to retcons) possession. Which still makes her, despite Bendis's mistake, about in the middle of the Marvel hero pack when it comes to going insane.

Besides, David actually gets the story wrong: Wanda has not gone insane, she's become evil (like most of the Avengers and X-Men) and she's not trying to destroy the world, she's trying to kill Dr. Doom. I think like a lot of crossover writers he wasn't really filled in on the plot details. And as usual, when you get the plot wrong - as Bendis did, or as Heinberg did when he said she'd forgotten the existence of her children - it counts less than writing that gets the plot right.
    Last edited by gurkle; 12-03-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Well, it has been more than 30 years since the Dark Phoenix, so yeah, its really likely that we are going to be stuck with this for a long time.

Ultimate Member

Good point.

Since the Dark Phoenix saga, Jean Grey has been so tangled up with the Phoenix that her last act was her using the PF to repair the timeline (Or at least that's how I remember it).

As I've said earlier, I'm pretty indifferent towards the Scarlet Witch but it's very possible that we might see more "Crazy Wanda" stories despite the fact that she hasn't been insane for the vast majority of her existence.

Simply because of the "impact" of House of M and Avengers Disassembled.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Good point.

Since the Dark Phoenix saga, Jean Grey has been so tangled up with the Phoenix that her last act was her using the PF to repair the timeline (Or at least that's how I remember it).

As I've said earlier, I'm pretty indifferent towards the Scarlet Witch but it's very possible that we might see more "Crazy Wanda" stories despite the fact that she hasn't been insane for the vast majority of her existence.

Simply because of the "impact" of House of M and Avengers Disassembled.
    A great deal of this is due to readers and sometimes writers judging a character by stories written decades ago when values were different and writing styles were different. Reed gets zinged by a site like scans daily that uses panels written in the 1960s to show what a chauvinist Reed was with Sue. It would be a few more years before the rise of women's lib and feminists like Gloria Steinhem. (Take that Rush Limbaugh, it's not a dirty word!). Stan and Jack did correct this when Sue's value to the team increased over the years.

Almost all the early female characters, as someone brought up earlier, seemed to be overwhelmed by their powers. Writers seemed to want to keep them feminine and "dainty". Sue had a tendancy to swoon or grow faint if she used her powers to excess and the same would happen with Wanda. Jean Grey couldn't contain the Phoenix, etc. Many readers today, and I think we can include Bendis in this, consider Wanda and the Vision's relationship as evidence of her being nutty when it was a perfectly acceptable storyline in the times it was written. This is what I refer to as not playing fair. Wanda's case is different from what happened with Carol marrying her own offspring. That would be bad in just about any era I think!