Thread: Magog!!?

Default Magog!!?

SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #16
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI
    Art and cover by DOUG MAHNKE and JAIME MENDOZA
    HARLEY QUINN Variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
    On sale FEBRUARY 11 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
    Combo pack edition: $4.99 US
    Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.
    Superman and Wonder Woman come face-to-face with the newest arrival to The New 52: MAGOG!
    This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.
    What the hell??!
    Magog will return?! Magog?
    Unexpected, but curiously not totally out of place. Isn't?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

I can't wait. He was one of my characters from JSA All-Stars.

Inb4 New52 Magog will suck.

Astonishing Member

didn't magog's death in brightest day avert a kingdom come-like future; the sort of future that arguably also requires a SM/WW pairing and batman more or less losing everything aside from his mission? perhaps that future isn't so averted anymore?

that... or darkseid and highfather didn't manage to eat all the Old Gods?

or he's the actual kingdom come magog; since KC is apparently one of brainiac's captives

Astonishing Member

I laughed. I've got nothing against Magog or no issues with the potential story, I just think it's funny that Magog's ridiculous 90s style extreme Cable ripoff costume looks so ... normal ... in the New 52.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Insta-dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I laughed. I've got nothing against Magog or no issues with the potential story, I just think it's funny that Magog's ridiculous 90s style extreme Cable ripoff costume looks so ... normal ... in the New 52.
    You know, that's exactly the thing I thought when I saw him. I mean, he does changed too much.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    didn't magog's death in brightest day avert a kingdom come-like future; the sort of future that arguably also requires a SM/WW pairing and batman more or less losing everything aside from his mission? perhaps that future isn't so averted anymore?
    Seeing as how Flashpoint effectively removed Brightest Day from continuity, along with everything JSA-related…

that... or darkseid and highfather didn't manage to eat all the Old Gods?
    Isn’t Wonder Woman doing a lot of stuff with the Old Gods?

or he's the actual kingdom come magog; since KC is apparently one of brainiac's captives
    I suspect that Earth-22 is still the KC Earth; if so, you don’t need to resort to Convergence to involve KC.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Certain aspects of Brightest Day is still Canon, Swamp Thing White Lantern, Green Lanterns involvement and search for entities, Deadman and Dove relationship.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Aside from maybe Hawkman, which New 52 character looks remotely similar to this Magog?

Why? I mean, seriously, what narrative purpose does Magog serve?

I liked him well enough in Kingdom Come. I thought the potential of tying him into the Old Gods in JSA had potential. I thought his ongoing was absolute trash.

I'm giving Tomasi a shot but Im really looking at this as a chance to cut my pull list down. Including Magog, while not a automatic deal-breaker, is most likely going to make the decision to drop it much easier.

But we'll see. If you had told me in 2010 that I would end up loving Steve Trevor, I would have laughed. Now he's become a great addition to the DCU. So....time will tell. But Im not optimistic.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

To be honest I don't mind Magog's look. I just don't like that he has a gun. I think his staff/trident should be his only weapon.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I can't wait. He was one of my characters from JSA All-Stars.
    This. Totally this. His solo series was pretty darn good, too, at least as long as Giffen was writing it.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Energist View Post
    This. Totally this. His solo series was pretty darn good, too, at least as long as Giffen was writing it.
    I felt his solo series was a great overlooked comic.

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I just don't like that he has a gun. I think his staff/trident should be his only weapon.
    I see what you're saying, but if his background is still military in nature, it's completely appropriate. You always have a sidearm if you can manage it, because you never know when you might get otherwise disarmed.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb