Page 116 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 16661061121131141151161171181191201261662166161116 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 35047

I've always had issues with the subject of racial self hate. There is some truth to it, but it often comes across as an attempt to justify the very negative stereotypes that holds us back as some badge of honor, which leads to them dividing themselves from those who want to progress. I had to face a lot of this from my non-white peers because I was more educated and got in less trouble, which in their eyes, made me "too white."

I've had to deal with that too, "you talk like a white boy" "you think you're better than us" it's painful to hear. It all goes back to this idea that black people are a monolith. I don't hate myself, I'm not adhering to respectability politics, I've gotten shade just for wearing a hoodie and graphic t-shirts. I shouldn't have to justify who I am to other people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Did anybody see this panel?

http://thatnigeriankid.tumblr.com/po...rtist-akala-on

A rapper who I never heard of talks about self hate among blacks and how they value a white person's life over a black one.

There is a youtube link there for the entire panel.
    I'll definitely check out the Youtube link especially as I agree with everything that was expressed in the Gifs.

The N-word is a virus that has spread far and wide as far as ill advised usage is concerned but regardless of how it is spelt, it's origins still remain odious to the extreme.

Only the utterly deluded and ignorant would feel otherwise.

Can someone define "racial self hate?"

I don't hang out with black people nor watch much TV so I unsure of the definition.

Thanks.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

I don't hang out with black people nor watch much TV so I unsure of the definition.

Thanks.
    Simplest definition is the "internalization of stereotype".
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Thanks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf17W212Ps0

Ultimate Member

Thanks.
    Some say it's when one calls out the issues of their own race (ala Don Lemon). And say "I made it why can't you?"

But as Kasper Cole points out-you can call it out but you still have to understand the factors that we face as blacks that has helped caused these issues.

Example-
    The battle a Static comic faces just to reach a store is WAY different than what Ms Marvel or Hawkman or My Little Pony faces. When you understand the battle-you can explain why the Static book didn't sell versus the other 3.

The rapper had a point but he just needed a better example.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I've always had issues with the subject of racial self hate. There is some truth to it, but it often comes across as an attempt to justify the very negative stereotypes that holds us back as some badge of honor, which leads to them dividing themselves from those who want to progress. I had to face a lot of this from my non-white peers because I was more educated and got in less trouble, which in their eyes, made me "too white."
    It comes off that way, and at times, it is.

But honestly, the other end of the spectrum holds far more weight because those are the ones who do get the power (see Clarence Thomas). Privileging whiteness and disregarding/belittling blackness. And I say this as a guy who was called an Uncle Tom plenty of times. Or "one of the good ones". Or whatever version of that.

And it shows up in so many ways. I'll give to the purest example I can. My dad, a Nigerian Immigrant, went to a Historically Black College. He never told me this until well into my Senior Year of college (I went to a very Predominantly White Institution). He didn't want me to deal with the stigma that came from going to a HBCU.

I heard people, especially black people who went to Predominantly White Institutions, look down on these schools so often. They are downplayed by society daily, despite their prestige. When I found this out, it freakin hurt. It hurt that he hid that fact, it hurt because all those times when people were talking shit about HBCUs, they were talking shit about my dad's education. And he internalized it. It hurt because my parents wanted me to embrace "mainstream" (see white) education because they knew I'd have a better chance to succeed.

That's why I stopped getting defensive about whether or not I'm "too white" or "too black", and decided to embrace my culture my own way. To me, "progress" is no longer about inclusion into exclusionary, white dominated spaces where I won't be equal, no matter how much I work, beg, or complain. No, it's about creating new ones, or working in ones where I know my agency will be met with support and collaboration.

Some say black people need to suit up, smarten up, and be more like their white or sometimes Asian counterparts. I disagree to some degree. We need to build and invest in ourselves, instead of constantly taking loans from them. And I see that way too often, both by poor black people and affluent. We should be looking for agency; financially, artistically, and socially.
    Last edited by Double 0; 06-17-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    It comes off that way, and at times, it is.

But honestly, the other end of the spectrum holds far more weight because those are the ones who do get the power (see Clarence Thomas). Privileging whiteness and disregarding/belittling blackness. And I say this as a guy who was called an Uncle Tom plenty of times. Or "one of the good ones". Or whatever version of that.

And it shows up in so many ways. I'll give to the purest example I can. My dad, a Nigerian Immigrant, went to a Historically Black College. He never told me this until well into my Senior Year of college (I went to a very Predominantly White Institution). He didn't want me to deal with the stigma that came from going to a HBCU.

I heard people, especially black people who went to Predominantly White Institutions, look down on these schools so often. They are downplayed by society daily, despite their prestige. When I found this out, it freakin hurt. It hurt that he hid that fact, it hurt because all those times when people were talking shit about HBCUs, they were talking shit about my dad's education. And he internalized it. It hurt because my parents wanted me to embrace "mainstream" (see white) education because they knew I'd have a better chance to succeed.

That's why I stopped getting defensive about whether or not I'm "too white" or "too black", and decided to embrace my culture my own way. To me, "progress" is no longer about inclusion into exclusionary, white dominated spaces where I won't be equal, no matter how much I work, beg, or complain. No, it's about creating new ones, or working in ones where I know my agency will be met with support and collaboration.

Some say black people need to suit up, smarten up, and be more like their white or sometimes Asian counterparts. I disagree to some degree. We need to build and invest in ourselves, instead of constantly taking loans from them. And I see that way too often, both by poor black people and affluent. We should be looking for agency; financially, artistically, and socially.
    I can't think of the movie right now but I remember a film where a guy is talking about having gone to Howard and a white guy keeps thinking he's talking about Harvard, until he corrects him. This post reminded me of it.

Someone in here has to know what I'm talking about.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    I can't think of the movie right now but I remember a film where a guy is talking about having gone to Howard and a white guy keeps thinking he's talking about Harvard, until he corrects him. This post reminded me of it.

Someone in here has to know what I'm talking about.
    Was it School Daze?

EDIT: Oh wait, that was set in Mission not Howard, nevermind.

Ultimate Member

I smell Black Panther bashing

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=53490

STORM #3
    GREG PAK (W) • MATTEO BUFFAGNI (A)
    Cover by DAVID YARDIN
    Variant by STEPHANIE HANS
    • Long ago, after she was worshipped as a goddess on the plains of Africa, Storm was stripped of her mutant powers and fell into deep depression. A brilliant inventor named Forge came to her rescue and nursed her back to health, showing her that she is so much more than her superhuman abilities. And a romance blossomed between them. But it was a love made to be broken…
    • Now, years later, Storm has the powers and stature of a goddess once more, and she is reunited with Forge. But what does fate have in store for the pair this time?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I'm not buying that book anyway. So they can do whatever they want with Storm.

I have no interest in reading the story of her being worshipped as a goddess in Africa and then running home to gleefully play back up principle behind whoever else is available in New York
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    I'm not buying that book anyway. So they can do whatever they want with Storm.

I have no interest in reading the story of her being worshipped as a goddess in Africa and then running home to gleefully play back up principle behind whoever else is available in New York
    Pretty much. That book lost me with "Worshiped in the plains of Africa".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Pretty much. That book lost me with "Worshiped in the plains of Africa".
    Didn't that actually happen in canon? Storm being "worshipped" that is?

Do you think they should ignore or retcon that part of her backstory(He said, trying not to get banned again)?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Didn't that actually happen in canon? Storm being "worshipped" that is?

Do you think they should ignore or retcon that part of her backstory(He said, trying not to get banned again)?
    I think she should show up trying to get worshipped and they should tell her to GTFO.
    Pull List: