Page 1 of 2337 1234511511015011001 ... LastLast

Default Minorities In Comics and Related Media

*Image courtesy of ExcelsiorPrime

Consider this the "All New" Minority Issues thread. This is the place to discuss issues regarding gender, ethnic, sexual, religious, and political issues in diversity as they relate to comics and media. All views are welcome, but remember what you say probably will be debated.

Helpful hint: Don't come in here claiming Martians/Aliens/Androids/Robots/Other made up species as proof of diversity when compared to actual representatives of real world minority concepts. It's stupid.

Unless your point is about something specific, like say comparing pink and blue Kree as an analogous to a specific real world dynamic, with specific examples, save it for another thread
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 05-24-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

John Boyega in Star Wars...

Since Mace Windu got to use a purple light saber what color should Jedi Boyega use to slice dark lords of the Sith up with... Yellow... Plaid?

I think J.J. Abrams made a great and bold choice with this casting and it will pay off handsomely!

I had all but retired from the Star Wars franchise after Revenge of The Sith... This might pull me back in!

Aw man, I wanted to start the new thread. I would have called it, "All new Minorities in Comics and Media #1 with 52 variant covers."

BANNED

2015 will make 2014 look like 2013. I truly get the sense that things are moving in a positive direction.

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    John Boyega in Star Wars...

Since Mace Windu got to use a purple light saber what color should Jedi Boyega use to slice dark lords of the Sith up with... Yellow... Plaid?

I think J.J. Abrams made a great and bold choice with this casting and it will pay off handsomely!

I had all but retired from the Star Wars franchise after Revenge of The Sith... This might pull me back in!
    Well, Sam Jackson requested a purple saber, so I guess whatever color Boyega wants?
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I guess I'll post what i posted in the old forum Star Wars thread here since it's more on topic here

But just out of curiosity, what's the entirely-arbitrary number required to make the quota for being "enough?" And why aren't you in every single movie thread blasting those films for not meeting it (because I'm fairly sure virtually none of them do)
    I'm not going to blast them for it but I do feel that action movies have either the Smurfette thing going or the Modified Smurfette (as I call it) in having only 2 girls.
    Star Trek Into Darkness has 2 girls. Avengers 2 will have 2 girls. Both incarnations of the Young Avengers have only 2 girls at a time.

JLA had Wonder Smurfette being the only girl, then JLE added in Power Girl. The JLI had Canary and female Dr Light for a while and then finally added in more women.

It's just one those things. People realize that one woman isn't enough, so they add a second but that's usually it. Agents of Shield actually has a whopping 3 women and it's cool to see the variety of roles. One kicks ass, one is the brain and one is the wildcard. I think Star Trek Voyager might be the only Trek with 3 women in the main cast: Janeway, B'lanna and Kes/7of9. (TNG did the first season but the rest of the series was 2)

And as mentioned earlier, they all usually have only one black person.

Aww man you beat me to it Brandon

Would've titled it brand spankin' new

Welcome to the thread pretender! I dig your smurfette example

BANNED

Glad to see this thread back.

And I seriously hope this Star Wars movie crosses John Boyega into the mainstream movie media. I really hope it does.

I'm trying to recall where we left off in the last thread?

were we talking about Star Wars or was it Boondocks?

Oh well new thread yall.

Also the new biracial Wally West made his debute today might be something to keep an eye for those following Flash comics
    The J-man

BANNED

Am I wrong in not wanting to save much from the old forum...this new one feels like a fresh start--and besides some digital art..and some excellent summaries...I don't have much I want to port over..

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Hey guys. (--incognito!--) here. Check this out:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/30/us/new...-selects-yale/

Enin scored 2250 out of a possible 2400 on his SAT, placing him in the 98th percentile across the country, according to The College Board. He's also ranked 11th in his class at William Floyd High School, a public school on Long Island, according to his principal, Barbara Butler.

"I applied knowing that going to any of the Ivy League schools would be wonderful," Enin told CNN earlier this month. "I thought if I applied to all eight, I figured I'd get into one ... but from the first one onwards I said, 'This can't be happening!' I was shocked seeing all these acceptances under my name."

This kid got accepted into EIGHT IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS. He's a legend!

By the way, what the hell happened to the forums?
    Last edited by Handsome men don't lose fights; 04-30-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

HOLY CoW!!

I almost had a heart attack!

Roll call!
    Last edited by Moose100; 04-30-2014 at 08:52 PM.

BANNED

I was RolandJP in a former life. Now I am E-Prime... older..hopefully wiser.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    Times are a changing.
    I kind of like all the community threads in one. It would make them easier to monitor. And it would keep things more civil..because we all would have to brush elbows daily.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I guess I'll post what i posted in the old forum Star Wars thread here since it's more on topic here

I'm not going to blast them for it but I do feel that action movies have either the Smurfette thing going or the Modified Smurfette (as I call it) in having only 2 girls.
    Star Trek Into Darkness has 2 girls. Avengers 2 will have 2 girls. Both incarnations of the Young Avengers have only 2 girls at a time.

JLA had Wonder Smurfette being the only girl, then JLE added in Power Girl. The JLI had Canary and female Dr Light for a while and then finally added in more women.

It's just one those things. People realize that one woman isn't enough, so they add a second but that's usually it. Agents of Shield actually has a whopping 3 women and it's cool to see the variety of roles. One kicks ass, one is the brain and one is the wildcard. I think Star Trek Voyager might be the only Trek with 3 women in the main cast: Janeway, B'lanna and Kes/7of9. (TNG did the first season but the rest of the series was 2)

And as mentioned earlier, they all usually have only one black person.
    Smurfette was created to be the butt of sexist jokes, not as an effort to be inclusive to women.