Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Isn't she pretty much the heir to the throne at Lucasfilm?
    I figure if she really had a problem with Finn, then the character would not exist.
    Finn wasn't originally supposed to be black. Though it's been said that JJ Abrams was the main person pushing to cast John Boyega.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    Finn wasn't originally supposed to be black. Though it's been said that JJ Abrams was the main person pushing to cast John Boyega.
    I read that originally Finn was going to be white and Poe was going to be black, and that Poe was going to die when they crashed on Jakku instead of miraculously surviving and reappearing later. I also heard that Poe was still supposed to die but Oscar Isaac's performance convinced them to re-write that he survives so that they could keep the character, but that might have just been a rumour.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I also heard that Poe was still supposed to die but Oscar Isaac's performance convinced them to re-write that he survives so that they could keep the character, but that might have just been a rumour.
    I think this is the only thing here that is more than a rumour, as the director is on record as saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think this is the only thing here that is more than a rumour, as the director is on record as saying that.
    Ok, thanks. I didn't know if that was something that had been officially stated or just second-hand information.

I'm still holding out hope that after the backlash from the bait and switch the Star Wars writers do right by Finn this time around.
    If Black Panther is even half as good as it's looking to be; it's going to make the Star Wars franchise look real bad if they screw over Finn again.

In other new I didn't realize till I saw the full trailer that Sofia Boutella is starring as The Mummy.
    About time Hollywood put a POC in that role considering the setting.
    "On working through writers block"

So I was standing in my garden at three in the morning with a glass of whiskey, smoking furiously and swearing at the sky, reduced to waiting for the thunder bolt to hit when...

Warren Ellis

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal View Post
    I'm still holding out hope that after the backlash from the bait and switch the Star Wars writers do right by Finn this time around.
    If Black Panther is even half as good as it's looking to be; it's going to make the Star Wars franchise look real bad if they screw over Finn again.

In other new I didn't realize till I saw the full trailer that Sofia Boutella is starring as The Mummy.
    About time Hollywood put a POC in that role considering the setting.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Right now Finn has the advantage of being part of the biggest franchise in movie history. But one thing I definitely notice was that at san diego comic con, I did not see any Finn cosplays. Not one, on the other hand, Rey was on literally everywhere. Like the top two costumes I seen for ladies. Rey and Harley Quinn literally took over comic con for ladies. On the other hand, I saw 4 miles morales and 2 black panther costumes. I wonder why.....

I think people need to dial back their expectations. Rey is the main character, not Finn. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    As for ATLA...the point is more thus. I don't want anyone pretending their a defender of Diversity and Strong Women when they have ATLA on their record. She is simply a Classic White Feminist case closed.
    Agreed. Folks should probably throw that passion and support they have for Finn toward Pacific Rim 2. Boyega actually is the lead in that one.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Looks like Black Panther may have the MCU movies' first gay characters.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...y-danai-gurira

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I think people need to dial back their expectations. Rey is the main character, not Finn. Simple as that.

Agreed. Folks should probably throw that passion and support they have for Finn toward Pacific Rim 2. Boyega actually is the lead in that one.
    He is also the producer for that film.

Yes it's all about Han & Leia's daughter.

I think a lot of folks are holding off until that film comes out.

As for ATLA...the point is more thus. I don't want anyone pretending their a defender of Diversity and Strong Women when they have ATLA on their record. She is simply a Classic White Feminist case closed.
    Yes she is but she is also successful. Folks will over look that when you look at her body of work. Despite her objections to black dude-none of the films flopped with them and you can count Han Solo with Donald Glover in that as well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    That's what I'm thinking as well. Right now Finn has the advantage of being part of the biggest franchise in movie history. But one thing I definitely notice was that at san diego comic con, I did not see any Finn cosplays. Not one, on the other hand, Rey was on literally everywhere. Like the top two costumes I seen for ladies. Rey and Harley Quinn literally took over comic con for ladies. On the other hand, I saw 4 miles morales and 2 black panther costumes. I wonder why.....
    If it's like other cons-folks probably didn't feel comfortable dressing as him. Who wants to dress as someone who would get insulted nonstop or bullied for it?

ANd what did Finn do in that movie to warrant someone dressing as him versus BP or Miles. Heck toss in Static, War Machine & John Stewart as well.

http://peepgamecomix.com/ (been slacking...still need to get my books on there)

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Very interesting. In the description of that scene it certainly sounds like those two characters are lesbian or bisexual but the article also states that a Marvel representative has already said that the character's relationship is "not romantic". So I'm not going to hold my breath.

When people like JJ Abrams and the Russo brothers say that the Star Wars and Marvel franchises are eventually going to have gay characters I've assumed that what that actually means is that there's going to be characters whose sexuality is never explicitly confirmed but audiences are "allowed" to think of them as gay. Like with Chirrut and Baze from Rogue One, when the director said he "didn't mind that interpretation" of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Very interesting. In the description of that scene it certainly sounds like those two characters are lesbian or bisexual but the article also states that a Marvel representative has already said that the character's relationship is "not romantic". So I'm not going to hold my breath.
    They're a couple in the comics.

Edit: Oops I was thinking of Aneka and Ayo. Gurira is playing Okoye, not Aneka.
    Last edited by G. Boney; 04-19-2017 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Sadly, no

LOL Vanity Fair jumped the gun.

Night Thrasher and Debrii will be in the New Warriors TV show:
    Dwayne Taylor (Night Thrasher)

The masked dude is a local celebrity with his own YouTube channel but no actual superpowers. His parents were killed when he was younger, though he worries about his family’s wealth ruining his street cred. “Dwayne is the one who’s enterprising and really trying to figure out the business side of this entire thing,” Biegel says, “but at the same time he really does care about justice.”

Deborah Fields (Debrii)

Not only is she a low-level telekinetic trickster who has experienced serious personal loss due to the actions of superheroes, Deborah is also a proud, witty lesbian. “It’s not all about ‘Hey, I relate to the show because I want to have a squirrel tail,' but ‘Hey, this is the story about someone who’s out as a lesbian and maybe it’s not that easy,’" Biegel says.

Last edited by Holt; 04-19-2017 at 09:16 AM.