Page 20 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430701205201020 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    A couple of people in Nigerian started #Bringbackourgirls to spread awareness about the situation with the kidnapped girls. It was talked about for a while on social media but the mainstream press ignored it. Eventually the mainstream press (CNN in particular) started reporting on it. Then out of nowhere some white lady starts doing CNN shows talking about why SHE started the hashtag. Black twitter quickly did a background check and found out she was full of crap. The woman knowingly lied about creating the hashtag and turns out she did it just to promote a documentary she was releasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal View Post
    LeSean Thomas up me on a really cool comic book kickstarter from a brother and sister team; It's called "Outcasts of Jupiter."

Beautiful artwork, diverse characters, and a interesting story...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s-of-jupiter-1
    That looks really great. Also hits my soft-spot for sibling ventures.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal View Post
    LeSean Thomas up me on a really cool comic book kickstarter from a brother and sister team; It's called "Outcasts of Jupiter."

Beautiful artwork, diverse characters, and a interesting story...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s-of-jupiter-1
    Those are some phenomenal incentives to back it.

Wow. Just..."wow!"

That does look really good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Am I allowed to say that I'm looking forward to the new complaints that people will bring up against the change? LOL. Because I'm sure that someone will think of some reason why the addition of diversity to the cast isn't "real diversity" or "real progress" because it didn't fit some arbitrary standard they just made up.
    I'm against this casting SOLELY because those characters were always intended to be white by their creators. If Lee and Kirby had decided to do what Lee Falk did with Goran and the Bengalie tribe from the PHANTOM comic strip (where he retconned them from East Asian/East Indian into black Africans) and retconned those characters into black, then I would be all for this casting. Again, the race,gender,and sexuality of a character should be determined by said character's creator and adhered to in adaptions in other media. the general moviegoing public know that the FF are 4 white people and most likely will look at this casting as being stupid, which might result in them not going to see this movie. This is why I wish that they had simply did something bold and either created a brand new legacy FF team with brand new characters who have taken up the powers and codenames of the original FF or reinvent the whole concept from the ground up (which, if the RUMORS are true, is basically what they are doing) with brand new characters who only share the team name,codenames,and powers of the original version, but is it's own unique thing (like how DC reinvented Flash,Green Lantern,Atom,and Hawkman in the Silver Age).

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Of All Nerds View Post
    Well, thanks to Putin's penchant for newsmaking, perhaps Hollywood will shuffle back in some Russian baddies like the 80s.
    Or perhaps they'll actually go with variety instead of cliches.

I suppose it might be good since I'm writing a movie with a Muslim hero which I don't think I would have thought of if Muslims were constantly shown as good characters.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Way to go Mark Millar, and production staff. This will shock all the right people.
    I'm pretty sure that Millar had nothing to do with this casting decision.

A couple of people in Nigerian started #Bringbackourgirls to spread awareness about the situation with the kidnapped girls. It was talked about for a while on social media but the mainstream press ignored it. Eventually the mainstream press (CNN in particular) started reporting on it. Then out of nowhere some white lady starts doing CNN shows talking about why SHE started the hashtag. Black twitter quickly did a background check and found out she was full of crap. The woman knowingly lied about creating the hashtag and turns out she did it just to promote a documentary she was releasing.
    Crap like that pisses me off to high heaven. Has the mainstream news media taken her to task for lying?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Crap like that pisses me off to high heaven. Has the mainstream news media taken her to task for lying?
    Not that I've seen, as of yet. A couple of essays at various places, but I'm pretty sure ABC hasn't done any "well, we totally screwed up listening to this lady, didn't we?" type of thing yet. A lot of people have been tweeting at her directly, though, which (insert eye rolling smiley here because I don't know how to do that) will probably lead to more bullying accusations or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    Or perhaps they'll actually go with variety instead of cliches.

I suppose it might be good since I'm writing a movie with a Muslim hero which I don't think I would have thought of if Muslims were constantly shown as good characters.

Marvel does have the new Ms. Marvel (which is great BTW). But yeah, pretty slim pickings. They should bring back Dust and Josiah X, then there would at least be three heroes who all have VERY different varieties within a "shared"* faith.

*Shared in the loosest sense of the word.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I'm against this casting SOLELY because those characters were always intended to be white by their creators. If Lee and Kirby had decided to do what Lee Falk did with Goran and the Bengalie tribe from the PHANTOM comic strip (where he retconned them from East Asian/East Indian into black Africans) and retconned those characters into black, then I would be all for this casting. Again, the race,gender,and sexuality of a character should be determined by said character's creator and adhered to in adaptions in other media. the general moviegoing public know that the FF are 4 white people and most likely will look at this casting as being stupid, which might result in them not going to see this movie. This is why I wish that they had simply did something bold and either created a brand new legacy FF team with brand new characters who have taken up the powers and codenames of the original FF or reinvent the whole concept from the ground up (which, if the RUMORS are true, is basically what they are doing) with brand new characters who only share the team name,codenames,and powers of the original version, but is it's own unique thing (like how DC reinvented Flash,Green Lantern,Atom,and Hawkman in the Silver Age).
    It's a movie, an adaptation. And Stan Lee is still alive, I've met the man. He still has a lot of energy so if he had any objections he'd speak up. About the only chracter truly meant to be the way they are is Ben Grim becase he's Jewish. The rest are White just because.

Apparently they're in on it.

The documentary the lady was promoting was funded by CNN and a staff member was involved somehow too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Cunard View Post
    Not that I've seen, as of yet. A couple of essays at various places, but I'm pretty sure ABC hasn't done any "well, we totally screwed up listening to this lady, didn't we?" type of thing yet. A lot of people have been tweeting at her directly, though, which (insert eye rolling smiley here because I don't know how to do that) will probably lead to more bullying accusations or something.
    I haven't see the bullying accusations yet, but there was briefly a push back were some people were saying "who cares who gets credit, what matters is that she's helping"...That was before people found out she was promoting a documentary funded by CNN.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    It's a movie, an adaptation. And Stan Lee is still alive, I've met the man. He still has a lot of energy so if he had any objections he'd speak up. About the only chracter truly meant to be the way they are is Ben Grim becase he's Jewish. The rest are White just because.
    And as we know Stan is fine with 99% of the chances Marvel makes with their film adaptations. In fact the only time I recall Stan not being cool with a change was when Andrew Garfield (who is awesome) said that a gay Spider-man would be an interesting take.

I saw this earlier.

It's funny because SO many people assumed (and complained) about how stereotypical it would be if Johnny was the adopted one.
    Can I say shots fired, because this looks like your Standard Beam Rifle to the Port Side of a Space Cruiser. Now this a "subversion" I can get behind.

But wait, it gets worse!

First CNN credited a white woman with creating the #bringbackourgirls campaign.

Then CNN interviewed the guy who created the Kony 2012 campaign, because apparently he’s an expert on Nigeria when he’s not busy hunting Joseph Kony and running down the street naked, touching himself and yelling about the devil.

Then NBC doesn’t know the difference between Nigeria and Kenya.

Now BBC interviewed a “military expert” that claims the US is “working with several Nigerian countries in the region”.

These are the experts and reports that are being paraded in front of us.

I think I’ll stick with the Nigerian press and other African outlets. Thanks.

several…Nigerian…countries…

omg
    So yeah, no more non-African news outlets for me. At least when it comes to the Boko Haram situation.
    Last edited by Double 0; 05-09-2014 at 07:49 AM.