Page 558 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 5845850854855455555655755855956056156256860865810581558 ... LastLast
Results 8,356 to 8,370 of 35047
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Five Weapons is one of the best books current books out that I've read recently.
    Cosign! Love that book!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal View Post
    Attachment 15943
    http://bcaf.norcalmlkfoundation.org/

This MLK JR. weekend, Sunday and Monday in San Francisco, for "FREE!"
    Yerba Buena Gardens - Metreon

And I have to work, all I wanted to do was meet Lesean Thomas

I'm a be at work like "naw son don't talk to me"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Sorry, but bs.

They are "assuming it" because she done **** like be legit scared of doing a freestyle on a hip hop show where people are supposed to do freestyles, use lines like "I'm a runaway slave master" and is always caped hard by T.I. This has very little to do with jealousy, and despite Macklemore's humbleness, he's in it too. But Iggy aggro'ed it herself. So did Miley, so did Vanilla back then.

Black history and culture is an object to be utilized and profited for celebrities and politicians. For Iggy, for T.I., and I could go further. And words mean nothing in comparison to actions, and her actions, unlike Macklemore (because yeah, he showed that he understood), reflect this.

The answer stems from the commodification of hip hop. The loss of it, and the people who profit from the loss. T.I is aimed at too. Don't start blaming black people in general primarily for something the corporations and select people did.
    Definitely not "BS",

To be hesitant of freestyling is understandable, she most likely doesn't have the lyrical capability at the moment to maintain an off the head freestyle, as her lyrics like many rappers today are most likely made by someone else. And do we really need to talk about lyrics when Nicki Minaj has an entire video theme illustrated in nazi propaganda?
    So let's not pretend that these sort of behaviors is somehow exclusive to iggy.

The part I do agree upon is that corporations are trying to profit on hip hop culture, as the video entails. That I agree with, hence why only certain subjects appear to make it into mainstream. But there has been a clear history of people dogging on any sort of white rapper trying to make a name for themselves, from Enimen to currently Macklemore. But this behavior is not only associated with just rap, or even white rappers. It's part of the issue that happens with cross cultural interactions in general that has a major problem within the history of black people. Comments such as RG3 being called a "cornball brotha" just because he has a white girlfriend. The comments surrounding Jeremy lin while he's in the NBA,etc etc

Here is an excellent video by Misterpopotv, a black person whose interested in kpop, and the hatred he gets from black individuals due to the fact that he likes korean things.

[youtube]wVZbtg8OaCQ[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZbtg8OaCQ

These are just some of the common issues that happens when black people interact with other people's cultures or other people become interested in black people's culture. I can personally attest to being called "white" because I got good grades in school, and than similar criticisms as Mr.Popo when people found out I've studied Japanese and lived in Japan.

These all stem from the same background as the issues these white wrappers face when treading into hip hop, which is the adverse feeling to integration of different cultures. Hell my manager was in the civil rights movement but she preferred segregated schools.
    Last edited by leo619; 01-16-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Bull.

Few had any problems with the Beastie Boys back in the day and 3rd Bass was accepted immediately(actually, the only folks who had an issue with the Beasties were the dudes from 3rd Bass). It's one thing to want to paticipate in Hip Hop culture which is world wide now but don't act like you have no idea where it originates from because you don't want to give props. Or don't think you have to.

It got to the point where you had Kreshawn schooling Iggy on Twitter and she isn't originally from the US either. So what's Iggy's excuse?
    And using ancient examples prove what of modern day? That's like saying because back in the day we had Denzel Washington, Will Smith and other lead actors that modern day we don't have problems with black lead roles today. Eninem had a huge backlash against him and still does, even though arguably had one of the greatest respect of hip hop culture seen, and from there Macklemore and now Iggy. It's funny though that Kreshawn has an issue with Iggy while Lupe Fiasco gives her props, but of course the fault lies with Lupe and not Kreshawn.

BANNED

smdh. must have missed that huge backlash against Em

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    smdh. must have missed that huge backlash against Em
    Yeah, the same way you missed the backlash against Mackelmore. Unless you consider accusations
    of plagarism (that were mostly ignored) backlash.

Come to think of it, he closest thing to a actual Rap beef that Em was ever in with an actual rapper, (Benzino does not count...in many ways) was his beef with Everlast that nobody cared about.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Five Weapons is one of the best books current books out that I've read recently.
    Greg, you got good taste. I know I say this often but you do, you all do forreal
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Smash and the latest generation of Pokémon games for me. Stomping dudes with Charizard in one then doing the same in the other is pure bliss. If only I won 100% of the time.
    Haha I feel you

I seem to have a thing for fighting types, idk why. Fox in smash bros are the best though
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

BANNED

Saw Selma and yeah folks should see this movie, it and everyone associated with it getting snubbed just pisses me off more

As a added bonus I had to deal with a racist old lady sitting behind me at the reasturant we went to after the movie. She didn't take kindly to those uppity negroes in Ferguson and the uppity president she didn't vote for and I as politely as my lady would let me be let her know to stfu

The odds of it all

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    And using ancient examples prove what of modern day? That's like saying because back in the day we had Denzel Washington, Will Smith and other lead actors that modern day we don't have problems with black lead roles today. Eninem had a huge backlash against him and still does, even though arguably had one of the greatest respect of hip hop culture seen, and from there Macklemore and now Iggy. It's funny though that Kreshawn has an issue with Iggy while Lupe Fiasco gives her props, but of course the fault lies with Lupe and not Kreshawn.
    I think a lot of the backlash comes from the fact that Em and Iggy can get played on stations like Kiss FM (AKA POP stations) that refuse to play Rap music.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed View Post
    I think a lot of the backlash comes from the fact that Em and Iggy can get played on stations like Kiss FM (AKA POP stations) that refuse to play Rap music.
    Then shouldn't the following blacks get the same backlash?

Ray J
    Donald Glover
    Lenny Kravtiz
    Mack Wilds
    Will Smith
    Prince
    and a few others I can name whose music I heard on white radio station and not on BLACK ones.

Ray J's One Wish was the number one requested song on every single white Pop radio station in Dallas for seven months before a certain tape came out.

The part I do agree upon is that corporations are trying to profit on hip hop culture, as the video entails. That I agree with, hence why only certain subjects appear to make it into mainstream. But there has been a clear history of people dogging on any sort of white rapper trying to make a name for themselves, from Enimen to currently Macklemore.
    People are tired of white rappers, singers, actors and whoever come waltz into the black community (BET, TVONe, Tyler Perry films and so on) and be family. Yet if you are a certain type of black person you are not. Especially if you don't have a career doing black only related stuff (see Arlen Escapeta, Arjay Smith & Donald Glover). It's sad that Lifetime's Whitney will be the first time most blacks will know of Arlen Escapeta. It's sad a lot of black folks only know of Lee Thompson Young & McDuffie because they died. But that's your sorry black media for you.

Nothing is wrong with Slim Shady doing rap but don't ignore a Mack Wilds, Lupe, Childish Gambino or others who happen to be black (with TALENT).

The industry has ran out and got guys like Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, Wiz and Chief Keef and toss them out. So when you have that trash and put it up against Iggy or a white rapper-they WIN. That's why you have the 50 Cents, Bow Wow and others leaving the game because they see it. N matter what they do-it won't beat Iggy and white rapper.

Ultimate Member

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...third-20150117

FOX is not wasting any time shoring up its primetime lineup for the 2015/2016 TV season, by announcing at the ongoing Television Critics Association (TCA) annual press tour in Pasadena, CA, that it has ordered second seasons for freshman series "Gotham" and "Empire," as well as a third season "Brooklyn Nine-Nine."

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Saw Selma and yeah folks should see this movie, it and everyone associated with it getting snubbed just pisses me off more
    Well it's up for Best Picture; so that's a positive (2nd nom for Oprah). The only surprise was Ava not up for Best Director (Morten Tyldum getting it was a shock). Oyelowo is sad BUT it was the most contended category this year (no Gyllenhaal, no Fiennes, no Spall); it was a hard category to get in.

BANNED

Moviemaker George Lucas has blasted the Academy Awards as a "political campaign" which does not recognize real artistic talent after Selma star David Oyelowo and director Ava Duvernay were shut out of the Oscars nominations.

The Martin Luther King, Jr. biopic was shortlisted for the coveted Best Picture and Best Original Song prizes when the nods were announced on Thursday, but surprisingly failed to garner nominations for Oyelowo for his portrayal of the civil rights icon or his director DuVernay. Academy officials were heavily criticized for the lack of diversity in their top picks for the acting awards, but Lucas insists the snub came as no surprise to him.

He tells U.S. news show CBS This Morning, "There's always controversy. That's why I'm not a member. "Everybody has their personal opinions about what they think (the nominations) should be. I think David, who was in (Lucas' 2012 film) Red Tails, is truly one of the great actors of all time. And you know, the director, Ava, is amazing... I think they're very, very talented people. But what can I say...?

"The thing about the Academy, it's a political campaign, it has nothing to do with artistic endeavor at all. So it's a political campaign. It's like - why do we have a tendency to elect people who drift toward not the most talented, best and brightest we have in the country? It's all political."

However, Star Wars creator Lucas claims the Oscars snub should not take anything away from Oyelowo and DuVernay's achievements with Selma.

He adds, "I think Ava and David deserved to be (nominated) - (but) you know, they're starting their careers, and this is an important moment for them. And I think it's a beautiful film, it's a wonderful film."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/e...jqvXYA93KgY.99

of course it's political. how else do you think "Crash" won?

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Then shouldn't the following blacks get the same backlash?

Ray J
    Donald Glover
    Lenny Kravtiz
    Mack Wilds
    Will Smith
    Prince
    and a few others I can name whose music I heard on white radio station and not on BLACK ones.

Ray J's One Wish was the number one requested song on every single white Pop radio station in Dallas for seven months before a certain tape came out.

People are tired of white rappers, singers, actors and whoever come waltz into the black community (BET, TVONe, Tyler Perry films and so on) and be family. Yet if you are a certain type of black person you are not. Especially if you don't have a career doing black only related stuff (see Arlen Escapeta, Arjay Smith & Donald Glover). It's sad that Lifetime's Whitney will be the first time most blacks will know of Arlen Escapeta. It's sad a lot of black folks only know of Lee Thompson Young & McDuffie because they died. But that's your sorry black media for you.

Nothing is wrong with Slim Shady doing rap but don't ignore a Mack Wilds, Lupe, Childish Gambino or others who happen to be black (with TALENT).

The industry has ran out and got guys like Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, Wiz and Chief Keef and toss them out. So when you have that trash and put it up against Iggy or a white rapper-they WIN. That's why you have the 50 Cents, Bow Wow and others leaving the game because they see it. N matter what they do-it won't beat Iggy and white rapper.
    None of those guys you listed are rappers hell I didn't really know who Lenny Kravitz was or that he was black until American Woman came out ( Let's keep 100 white people loved will smith as a rapper back in the day, he made "safe" music) I know actual racists who will listen to Em.
    Does Em even get played on K104 or 96.9 like that? ( Honestly I don't know I haven't listened to the radio since mp3 became a thing)
    Also there's no such thing as black media, black people don't any thing that you mentioned (TVONe , BET ect)
    The Main problem why most cats have with people like Gambino is that they don't fit the image of what the media wants of a black man( unintelligent, wild,ect) so as black teen when all you seen on tv is people like Chief Keef ,and some like gambino who goes left, he gets looked as lame. I agree what you're sayin ' just look at Tank .........