Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    John Ridley to write "The Other History of the DC Universe."

https://www.newsarama.com/38161-john...c-history.html
    And of course the anti-diversity crew takes issue with it.

You can't tell a story with POC because it can't be good according to them.

They can't find use for these in the MAIN books so yet another side project gets to use them.

Honestly I feel the DCEU has the same problem of just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
    Like the Cyborg movie? Yeah smart move to do that after Black Panther comes out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, she was never called "the Wall" because of her posture. It was more her personality, which makes Batman seem timid and meek.

Combined with the figure of someone not to screw with

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Combined with the figure of someone not to screw with
    Short and fat is not generally a figure that is impressive or intimidating, especially to people who are built like Greek gods and have superpowers.

Short and fat is not generally a figure that is impressive or intimidating, especially to people who are built like Greek gods and have superpowers.
    You'd be surprised how many people find plus-sized people intimidating. Especially if they're non-white.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You'd be surprised how many people find plus-sized people intimidating. Especially if they're non-white.
    Knew a black man where I worked that just dated white women. From the way he talked it sounded like he was afraid of black women.

So did anybody watch the stream of the panel John Ridley was a part of.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Because plus size people (women in particular) are a novelty in comics. Visual identifiers are important in character design, you should be able to recognize your character from the silhouette alone. You can instantly recognize Waller.
    I never thought of it like that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Extraordinary Member

Well, she was never called "the Wall" because of her posture. It was more her personality, which makes Batman seem timid and meek.
    This is how I always thought of her.

For me, it was her will, access to information, ruthlessness, and the ability to get away with stuff is what made her unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This is where stereotyping comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Knew a black man where I worked that just dated white women. From the way he talked it sounded like he was afraid of black women.
    Case in point.

Part of me wonders if Waller's stature may have been influenced by Nell Carter, who was pretty popular during the mid-late 1980's.

Ultimate Member

I just found out one of my former students is dead. He's been dead since November.

He was running from the cops at 3 in the morning and ran into a pole and flew out the car window (no seat belt).

He was pulled over for not having a license plate on the car. He was driving without a license and had warrant for illegal gun procession.

He was 22 with 2 daughters.

On a brighter note-I got Okoye complete today. NOw I have to figure out what to do with the Namor & Black Bolt figures.

Just came from watching Proud Mary. I liked it. It was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I just found out one of my former students is dead. He's been dead since November.

He was running from the cops at 3 in the morning and ran into a pole and flew out the car window (no seat belt).

He was pulled over for not having a license plate on the car. He was driving without a license and had warrant for illegal gun procession.

He was 22 with 2 daughters.

On a brighter note-I got Okoye complete today. NOw I have to figure out what to do with the Namor & Black Bolt figures.
    My prayers are with his family.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 01-13-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Aziz Ansari has been accused of sexual assault

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Like the Cyborg movie? Yeah smart move to do that after Black Panther comes out.
    I actually think that a Cyborg movie could work but I wouldn't push him as my main black hero. Flashpoint seems like a bad idea for the first Flash movie since we know very little about the DCEU world so any changes wouldn't really matter. Honestly I think Batman vs Superman was a mistake too. They should've done a second Man of Steel and/or Batman before trying that. After the failure of Green Lantern John Stewart should've had his own movie but we can't have anything GL related without Hal.

Moving on I got the DVR set to record Black Lightning tonight. I have high hopes for the show so I hope it lasts.

Also I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on the inclusion of Supergirl in the Other History of the DC Universe.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Moving on I got the DVR set to record Black Lightning tonight. I have high hopes for the show so I hope it lasts.

Live and DVR, looking forward to it.
    2018 is the year of the Black live action cape and it begins tonight.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    I actually think that a Cyborg movie could work but I wouldn't push him as my main black hero. Flashpoint seems like a bad idea for the first Flash movie since we know very little about the DCEU world so any changes wouldn't really matter. Honestly I think Batman vs Superman was a mistake too. They should've done a second Man of Steel and/or Batman before trying that. After the failure of Green Lantern John Stewart should've had his own movie but we can't have anything GL related without Hal.

Also I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on the inclusion of Supergirl in the Other History of the DC Universe.
    I find her inclusion dumb disingenuous and annoying..

Early reviews of Black Lightning are great.

I’ll admit that despite enjoying the cast and crew, I was skeptical about how Black Lightning would turn out. I love comics and superhero shows, but most of the superhero programs on the CW are trash for black people. The black guys are almost always sidekicks or marginalized; the black women exist only as eye candy or love interests for white guys; and the costumes are so bad, most CW heroes look like a flash mob of cosplayers. However, I was more assured when I heard showrunner Salim Akil talk about putting his heart and soul into the show.

He talked about the crime in Black Lightning’s Freeland being based on his hometown of Richmond, Va. (which has had a top 10 murder rate for the last 20 years). He talked about a showing a new kind of black masculinity on-screen, the kind that is usually suppressed in the sci-fi and fantasy genres.

“In so many shows, the black man NEVER gets the woman … it’s like he doesn’t have a PENIS!” Akil said, talking about how Jefferson Pierce was going to be a three-dimensional character with love, sexiness and action. I knew I was going to see something new. Turns out I was right.

Black Lightning is actually a very good show. I’ve watched the pilot three times, twice on a laptop and once during a public screening at the DC in D.C. event last weekend. Every time I watch, I see something different that I like. The action is good, the plot makes sense, and the show flips tone from fun to suspense almost every other scene.
    https://www.theroot.com/lets-get-lit...-fo-1822108773