Page 607 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 10750755759760360460560660760860961061161765770711071607 ... LastLast
Results 9,091 to 9,105 of 35047
    BANNED

oy vey. i read what her acceptance speech was but i didn't know arquette followed it with this backstage

“It’s time for all the women in America, and all the men that love women and all the gay people and all the people of color that we’ve all fought for to fight for us now,”
    http://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/Pa...-2015-36932400

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

The most annoying thing was that silly women for the British coverage trying to start #FeministOscars... no, babes. 8 Best Pictures all about men, no female directors nominated and no women nominated in the TEN writing nominations. The fact a woman won Best Supporting Actress does not make this #FeministOscars. Don't be silly!

Anyone boycotting the Oscars over #OscarsSoWhite is basically saying that latino representation doesn't count. It's stupid.

Agreed. For a third year running Best Director is won by a POC; which is awesome. A little silly that we had THREE standing ovations for the song Glory; but no standing ovation when a nearly all latino crew won Best Picture. I mean REALLY? .
    Not to compare but I think an emotional performance that:
    a) connects to a film that alot of people have emotions over due to its lack of nominations
    b) connects to a film that has ties to some of the darkest moments in American history
    c) has John Legend singing and Common rapping about the power of hope and freedom.

I would think that the performance would be more emotional than the award win and Inarritu did get an ovation, but we shouldnt compare or consider it silly. A Mexican director winning a best directing Oscar is as beautiful as John Legend, Common, and Lady GaGa bring life to the show with their voices.

I thought that Patricia Arquette's speech was powerful in the sense that every aspect of womanhood is being challenged in the states. Their reproductive rights, their work wages, the responsibility of their actions if assaulted, and femininity itself. For someone who was obviously very nervous and overwhelmed, she got her point across. The are some feminists of color who have a problem with she said after the oscar win in the press room though:

“Its time for us, it's time for women. So the truth is, even though we sort of feel like we have equal rights in America, right under the surface, there are huge issues that are applied that really do affect women. And it’s time for all the women in America and all the men that love women, and all the gay people, and all the people of color that we’ve all fought for to fight for us now.”
    Even though I think I know what she was trying to say, I hope that its was just bad wording due to nerves and adrenaline because what she said on stage doesnt connect with this statement.
    Last edited by R.E.B; 02-23-2015 at 01:34 PM.
    ART JAM VI:House Of Mouse

V

IV

III

II

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    But a superhero movie that has a multicultural cast, and Asian Lead won an Oscar--an that is out of date voter sentiment? it made 540 million from a series with a print run under 13,000.

And the Oscar judges wisely avoided the Lego Movie--that was solely spectacle. nothing wrong with spectacle but there has to be something more to win best.

HTTYD2 was a great film but its message wasn't an emotional one.
    Here's the thing, Animation isn't looked highly upon by Hollywood, never has been, probably never will be until it's our generation in control of the Academy. While Big Hero 6 is an awesome win it's been shown that the voters tend to: 1. Only see the animated movies that their kids want to go see, 2. Only will see the bigger named movies, 3. See them as "Cartoons" rather then actual movies, 4. Will vote based on "What my kid liked." over actual technique used in the film.

I'm glad that Big Hero 6 won, but, most people don't even know it's from a comic, and, this is the real kick in the teeth, most academy members that didn't go see the films tend to abstain, or go with whatever is hot right now. As for Lego Movie, the fact that it used models and told a damn good story using a kids imagination was pretty epic. What annoys me is that Book of life, a movie that had a heck of a lot going for it, with a lot of depth, beauty and a great message wasn't even considered. Don't get me wrong, the multicultural cast in BH6 is awesome in and of it self, but the academy only saw it as "Another Disney Movie" which is, sadly, how these types tend to see animation in the first place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.B View Post
    Hmm....I dont disagree with this (maybe Watchmen, I enjoyed it) but when you haves someone like Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, a director who I admire be constant with calling comic book films "poison" and "entertainment only acceptable for seven year olds" it does ignore the critical and financial success of films like Singers' X-films, Nolan's trilogy, Spider-Man 2, even The Avengers. So even if there are way too many, those are just some off the top of my head that have some merit. Its a genre thats having it moment, like the others before it... its okay let the genre have its place in the sun.
    I didnt know he said that

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.B View Post
    Hmm....I dont disagree with this (maybe Watchmen, I enjoyed it) but when you haves someone like Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, a director who I admire be constant with calling comic book films "poison" and "entertainment only acceptable for seven year olds" it does ignore the critical and financial success of films like Singers' X-films, Nolan's trilogy, Spider-Man 2, even The Avengers. So even if there are way too many, those are just some off the top of my head that have some merit. Its a genre thats having it moment, like the others before it... its okay let the genre have its place in the sun.
    Yet his whole film revolves around the idea that came probably from himself watching old Batman tv episodes. Seriously you can have a deep message with a comic book and make it a success. It's just that no one has been willing to tackle that aspect of it. How about She-hulk for example, or something like the book Powers?

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    oy vey. i read what her acceptance speech was but i didn't know arquette followed it with this backstage

http://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/Pa...-2015-36932400
    Terribly worded, and people got at her for that, aiming towards things like her twitter avatar having her taking care of the prototypical poor african child, and one of her recent halloween costumes (late 80s/early 90s Chola).

A bad look and a half. Sometimes you gotta quit when you're ahead. Keep it short and poignant.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Terribly worded, and people got at her for that, aiming towards things like her twitter avatar having her taking care of the prototypical poor african child, and one of her recent halloween costumes (late 80s/early 90s Chola).

A bad look and a half. Sometimes you gotta quit when you're ahead. Keep it short and poignant.
    OR she did it on PURPOSE. In order to get attention for herself. Since we all know NEXT week her new series CSI Cyber starts up. Aside from 1 ad during CBS college gameday-I haven't heard much about it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I'm glad that Big Hero 6 won, but, most people don't even know it's from a comic, and, this is the real kick in the teeth, most academy members that didn't go see the films tend to abstain, or go with whatever is hot right now. .
    Well most folks had no idea Men in Black, Static, Ninja Turtles, Spawn, Blade & 2 Guns were comics first. It's not the tv show or movies fault that the comic REFUSES to do anything with them in comics.

A little silly that we had THREE standing ovations for the song Glory; but no standing ovation when a nearly all latino crew won Best Picture. I mean REALLY? .
    In hindsight if we look at recent events from Trayvon Martin to now-black males getting killed by cops (like my cousin) probably made that song more personal and emotional to folks than expected.

If that had happened any other time, you would have seen standing ovations for them.

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

Lol OMG. I didn't watch at all..
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Shouldn't Watchmen, Green lantern, Punisher War Zone deserve to be put down? I think comic Book movies with a message aren't looked down upon. But the sheer Power Fantasy superhero movie with no soul warrant it.
    Punisher War Zone was awesome. It knew exactly what kind of movie it was trying to be and it delivered.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Punisher War Zone was awesome. It knew exactly what kind of movie it was trying to be and it delivered.
    If you listen to the director on the "How Did This Get Made" podcast it's a wonder she got it made as the studio tried to tie her hands on everything

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well most folks had no idea Men in Black, Static, Ninja Turtles, Spawn, Blade & 2 Guns were comics first. It's not the tv show or movies fault that the comic REFUSES to do anything with them in comics.

In hindsight if we look at recent events from Trayvon Martin to now-black males getting killed by cops (like my cousin) probably made that song more personal and emotional to folks than expected.

If that had happened any other time, you would have seen standing ovations for them.
    Yeah, and that's sort of a sad thing. So many good shows come out from other material and only after it comes out do people go looking for it and not find it. So they avoid comics because "Not like the character from the show."

Oddly though Marvel and DC have been producing a line of comics based on their shows. Arrow and Smallville, rumors around they may do something for Gotham. Marvel has been doing the Shield comic, and apparently there's a few TPB for Revenge, Once and a number of other shows on ABC that I didn't know about.

Sorry about your cousin. And I agree with you, any other year it would have been clapped for, but about the same level as a people were clapping for "Do you hear the people sing" which is pretty moving too.

Extraordinary Member

I'd put that down to lack of rooting interest myself.

Nothing like Silence Of the Lambs, Rocky or Star Wars up for Best Picture.

Or even a Silver Linings Playbook.

The whole point of going up to 10 nomenees was to get more populist films(like Dark Knight or Up) in the mix. The Academy couldn't bring themselves to be populist on a regular basis and I say its screwing with their ratings now.

When stuff like Lego Movie and Guardians Of the Galaxy get noms, people tune in to see if the movie they liked wins anything.

Thsyear is was a bunch of films that most people I know didn't even see up for Best Picture. The closest thing to a crowd pleaser on that list is American Sniper.

Astonishing Member

Indeed, she clarified her position of course on twitter to include LGBT and women of color in her stance, but her original statement highlighted a white privilege stance. Hopefully those addressing her on twitter regarding her original statement is making her come to terms with that. Nothing to crucify over, her message is still very important, but hopefully she learn in this instance how much her white privileged still plays a part in her psyche.

BANNED

Watching Spawn on SY FY.

DID Michael Jai White Invent the Batman voice?

http://youtu.be/exWD6G8QpbE
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 02-23-2015 at 08:49 PM.