That's a shame, young too, sad. Yes to Square One as well.

Gonna be bittersweet to see him in Cage S2. Cheo Hoker put out a great IG post about Cathey.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfB2A_mnHWY/?hl=en
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Anyone feel like explaining the joke "they asked to touch my hair?"

I've looked over it a dozen times, and it seems predicated on the idea of touching black people's heads for luck.

Did millennials even know about the superstition before April Reign brought it up?
    I stopped posting here for a variety of reasons, but I feel I have to comment on this.

Black people are not lucky charms. People, in general, are not lucky charms. How would you feel if some ramdom stranger walked up to you and asked to touch your hair? Or even worse, just touched your hair without asking. I don't know where your hands have been. Hell, some Black women spend hours on doing their hair and some ramdom person puts their nasty hands on their hair. Respect people's personal space and keep your damn hands to yourself.

In truth, this isn't about "lucky charms" or anything stupid like that. It's about treating Black people like "the other". People are not pets that you rub up on.

As for "oh, your hair is so different", it's just hair with a different texture. So what? IT'S STILL HAIR! KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF!

Your post is the dumbest thing I've read all day.
    Last edited by emac1790; 02-10-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    I stopped posting here for a variety of reasons, but I feel I have to comment on this.

Black people are not lucky charms. People, in general, are not lucky charms. How would you feel if some ramdom stranger walked up to you and asked to touch your hair? Or even worse, just touched your hair without asking. I don't know where your hands have been. Hell, some Black woman spend hours on doing their hair and some ramdom person puts their nasty hands on their hair. Respect people's personal space and keep your damn hands to yourself.

In truth, this isn't about "lucky charms" or anything stupid like that. It's about treating Black people like "the other". People are not pets that you rub up on.

As for "oh, your hair is so different", it's just hair with a different texture. So what? IT'S STILL HAIR! KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF!

While I do agree that touching a persons hair without permission is bad,I dont see a problem with someone asking permission.If you dont want to
    your hair to be touch just tell the person no.

Different/Unusual hair styles/textures interest people.Some to the point that they want to feel it.This isnt specific to Black people.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    While I do agree that touching a persons hair without permission is bad,I dont see a problem with someone asking permission.If you dont want to
    your hair to be touch just tell the person no.

Different/Unusual hair styles/textures interest people.Some to the point that they want to feel it.This isnt specific to Black people.
    It's not like a person's hair is a melon and the only way you know it's ripe is to touch it. I feel it's totally rude for a stranger to ask or just touch someone's hair, no matter what style or texture or race. The saying goes "look but don't touch".

Think about like this, you're wearing a new cashmere coat and someone you don't know at all asks you can they touch it. Even if you say "no", wouldn't that make you think, "WTF"?

You can have interest in something different than you're used to, but it's creepy to want to touch or ask to touch somebody you don't know. And even if you do know the person in question, who wants somebody other than their hairdresser/barber touching their head?
    Last edited by emac1790; 02-10-2018 at 09:43 PM.
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Incredible Member

It's not like a person's hair is a melon and the only way you know it's ripe is to touch it. I feel it's totally rude for a stranger to ask or just touch someone's hair, no matter what style or texture or race. The saying goes "look but don't touch".

Think about like this, you're wearing a new cashmere coat and someone you don't know at all asks you can they touch it. Even if you say "no", wouldn't that make you think, "WTF"?

You can have interest in something different than you're used to, but it's creepy to want to touch or ask to touch somebody you don't know. And even if you do know the person in question, who wants somebody other than their hairdresser/barber touching their head?
    I think its important to remember that people have different standards on what they consider rude or creepy behavior on particular things.

You may consider a persons hair to be off limits,other person may like it depending on the context.

Personally,yeah its weird that someone wants to touch my coat but its not would think its rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    I think its important to remember that people have different standards on what they consider rude or creepy behavior on particular things.

You may consider a persons hair to be off limits,other person may like it depending on the context.

Personally,yeah its weird that someone wants to touch my coat but its not would think its rude.
    This reminds me of an episode of "All In The Family" where Archie Bunker is being his usual racist self and a black man mockingly tells him in an exaggerated voice "You can rub my head for luck"
    Archie responds that he doesn't believe in that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Speaking of DC not having a plan, I think it would be wise to at least either let Snyder go or reduce his influence drastically. I fear Justice League underperforming might give him the leverage to hold on longer though.
    RUMOR: Zack Snyder Was Fired Before He Departed Justice League.

https://www.cbr.com/rumor-zack-snyde...ustice-league/

I guess that does have the effect of reducing Zack Snyder's influence drastically.

Black people are not lucky charms. People, in general, are not lucky charms. How would you feel if some ramdom stranger walked up to you and asked to touch your hair? Or even worse, just touched your hair without asking. I don't know where your hands have been. Hell, some Black women spend hours on doing their hair and some ramdom person puts their nasty hands on their hair. Respect people's personal space and keep your damn hands to yourself.

Ah, so it's dumb to ask questions? Well, be sure you don't ask questions your own self, or you've condemned yourself out of your own mouth.

I have never heard of white people asking to touch black people's hair in the past forty years. I was aware of the superstition about touching black people's heads for luck, but aside from another poster's reference to ALL IN THE FAMILY, i pretty much thought it fell out of use in the 1940s.

Regardless, from the reaction here, if there are contemporary white people (or other non-black people) who have some strange desire to touch black people's hair, it doesn't seem to be related to the superstition.

Apparently, since April Reign used it with no explanation, this must be some real part of Black Experience, though it may not be quite as endemic as Reign liked to think. Absent any evidence, I tend to think that white people with this penchant are in a distinct minority.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There's all kinds of logic problems with SS but again, Smith smarting off to Flagg does not equal Flagg's character being subservient to Deadshot. Now let's say Smith was calling him "cracker" and "h*nky" throughout and the movie seemed to justify his behavior maybe you'd have a case for black on white racism. Although, keep in mind there's some people who feel SS had some subtle stereotyping of minorities among other things.

I remember when Force Awakens was released and the reactions here. While Finn being a janitor came up, it was actually low on the list of problems folks here had with his character. But even if the reverse were true, it still wouldn't prove the case of reverse racism in the SS movie.
    There are no racial epithets against Finn in FORCE AWAKENS, but the lack of said epithets did not keep some viewers from assuming that any thing they didn't like about Finn's character must be motivated by white people's desire, conscious or subconscious, to marginalize black people.

Invincible Member

There are no racial epithets against Finn in FORCE AWAKENS, but the lack of said epithets did not keep some viewers from assuming that any thing they didn't like about Finn's character must be motivated by white people's desire, conscious or subconscious, to marginalize black people.
    How some people reacted to Force Awakens in this thread last year does not prove racism against white people in Suicide Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    How some people reacted to Force Awakens in this thread last year does not prove racism against white people in Suicide Squad.
    But it's the same logic one sees on this thread repeatedly, and meeting hardly any objections: "If I don't like seeing X, it must prove Y."

Ah, so it's dumb to ask questions? blah, blah, blah...
    I've seen your posting history. Dumb is the perfect word for it.
    When the fire blows