Page 230 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 1301802202262272282292302312322332342402803307301230 ... LastLast
Results 3,436 to 3,450 of 35047
    BANNED

well, mikassa is the only non-white character in the manga/anime. but unlike the u.s and hollywood, it would be a hell of lot more understandable why a movie adaption in japan, a country and more importantly, and film/tv industry, that is far from diverse, to cast japanese actors.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    having a laugh as some heads explode at the casting of Attack on Titan. an all japanese cast.

let me borrow and bingo card answer....maybe they were the best actors for the job
    loll yo I should be surprised

But I'm not
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Binge watched the first few episodes of Power on Starz On Demand. It's not bad.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Oh shit! I forgot about Power.
    http://the9thblog.blogspot.com/

A blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art.

I thought they were all Asian when I watched Attack on Titan.

I like Power the finale was good.
    We need better comics

Power was too slow dropped it after a few episodes
    The J-man

having a laugh as some heads explode at the casting of Attack on Titan. an all japanese cast.

let me borrow and bingo card answer....maybe they were the best actors for the job
    its being made and/or produced in Japan right?

I don't know why anyone would be surprised, despite what was shown in the manga/anime.

Manga casting tends to be really flexible half the time. Half the time a character may have western characteristics but actually be asian, or its simply unclear.

And besides we all know how Japanese and American studios cast.
    The J-man

BANNED

Anime and manga exist in this weird fantasy land where all the people have Western facial features and brightly colored hair and eyes, but are all still culturally Japanese as far as their language and customs go. When it comes to adapting them for live action, the filmmakers are sadly restricted to casting people that actually exist. If there really were native Japanese people with Western features available I'm sure they'd be thrilled to hire them.

Remember that Japan, Korea, and even China are heavily Westernized and as a result Western beauty standards tend to prevail over traditional ones, which in any event tend to favor the kind of fair skin and delicate features that most Asians don't really have, but people of European descent often do.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Anime and manga exist in this weird fantasy land where all the people have Western facial features and brightly colored hair and eyes, but are all still culturally Japanese as far as their language and customs go. When it comes to adapting them for live action, the filmmakers are sadly restricted to casting people that actually exist. If there really were native Japanese people with Western features available I'm sure they'd be thrilled to hire them.

Remember that Japan, Korea, and even China are heavily Westernized and as a result Western beauty standards tend to prevail over traditional ones, which in any event tend to favor the kind of fair skin and delicate features that most Asians don't really have, but people of European descent often do.
    The artistic portrayal of Sailor Moon/Usagi Tsukino could be the opening case study of this phenomena. It's as obvious as day that she's meant to be Japanese, but yet her physical makeup has her looking closer to a Disney Princess than a Japanese Schoolgirl. It's funny and sad how the after-effects of Westernization on the Japanese are perfectly encapsulated in a character primarily meant for Adolescent girls.

But you know what? She's not even the most direct case of this. Go look up Setsuna Meioh/Sailor Pluto, and you'll get a hard dose of how invasive this really is.
    Last edited by AgPhoenix; 08-03-2014 at 05:31 AM.

BANNED

just to clarify, attack on titan isn't using westernized features, etc, of japanese characters. it takes place in europe and it makes it clear that mikassa is asian. the bandits attempted to kidnap her mother because she was the last of two asian females within the walls, but ended up killing her, leaving mikassa, who is biracial, as the last (and less profitable to the people the bandits were looking to sell to).

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Just watched the latest episode of Beware the Batman that aired on Adult Swim last night. Lance Reddick was pretty good as Ra's al Ghul.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Oh shit! I forgot about Power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Power was too slow dropped it after a few episodes
    The season finale was decent.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

just to clarify, attack on titan isn't using westernized features, etc, of japanese characters. it takes place in europe and it makes it clear that mikassa is asian. the bandits attempted to kidnap her mother because she was the last of two asian females within the walls, but ended up killing her, leaving mikassa, who is biracial, as the last (and less profitable to the people the bandits were looking to sell to).
    I may be mistaken but didn't the robbers say she's the last of her tribe not her race.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Binge watched the first few episodes of Power on Starz On Demand. It's not bad.
    I like Power, it strikes me as the opposite of breaking bad. Walter White was a sick man with a legal profession who transformed into a powerful criminal. Where as Ghost is a powerful criminal who wants to gain a legal profession. I felt bad for Ghost, I never thought I'd feel bad for a drug dealer before.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I may be mistaken but didn't the robbers say she's the last of her tribe not her race.
    no, she and mikassa are the last asians within the wall (not just the last of her clan), which as far as they know, the last surviving asians, which is why they were so valuable