BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If he's so expendable, why was he in the movie at all?
    Uhhhhh why are you asking me? I'm not working on the reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Uhhhhh why are you asking me? I'm not working on the reboot.
    Just seemed like the "he's expendable" argument was an odd one to make for whitewashing. So the character's important enough to be in the film but not enough for them to get his race right?

Ed Skrein also isn't a big star so there's really no justification anyway (no offense to him). With Ghost in the Shell it was a PR clusterfuck but they still at least had the argument of "This movie was expensive to make so we needed an A-list Hollywood star to make sure we made our money back" (how'd that work out for them?).

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I will be so pissed off if DC Superhero Girls can't market Bumblebee stuff anymore. That's all I buy from them. I'm seriously gonna put Hasbro on blast for this. It's a minority character for goodness sake. Is it really worth that much to them???

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    I have to agree with this, Hasbro is attempting their own cinematic universe with all those franchises. I think it's gonna fail but it's still not a bad concept. As far as Bumblebee, I think DC will fight this, specifically since she's their second most known black woman hero. DC has been promoting her for the past few years, so they probably have plans for her. In the chance that DC loses this case this could really hurt the character since people will only know her as bumblebee.
    Probably not. What will likely happen is they'll either change her name, or be forced to add some sort of qualifier to it like "DC's Bumblebee" or "The Titans' Bumblebee." That is not uncommon with superhero action figures whose names sound similar to existing trademarked properties. For instance, toys of characters like Hawkeye and the Falcon have to be sold as "Marvel's Hawkeye" and "Marvel's Falcon."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    If it were just one movie or one role that'd be one thing but this is part of a pattern where Asian actors can't even seem to get arrested in Hollywood.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/bum...os-1202541577/

Hasbro is suing DC over the name Bumblebee.
    That won't get anywhere.

Bumblebee's been a DCU character (albeit a minor one) since '77 or thereabout.

Transformers wasn't even a thing 'til the mid 80's.

But I'm sure Hasbro thinks it can get "Just go away already!" settlement money off of DC so from that perspective its worth a shot.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Have ya'll seen this?

Attachment 53990
    Misty is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Bumblebee's been a DCU character (albeit a minor one) since '77 or thereabout.

Transformers wasn't even a thing 'til the mid 80's.
    That's not necessarily how copyright laws work, as I think someone here brought up the infamous Captain Marvel example. If DC didn't have a trademark on Bumblebee action figures before the 1980's, it's entirely possible this will go through.

DC and Marvel didn't really get heavily into the action figure game until the 80's, and even then I don't think Bumblebee got a figure until much later.

EDIT: It looks like the first Bumblebee toy that actually got made was in the 2000's for the Teen Titans cartoon. And interestingly, her name is spaced to "Bumble Bee," presumably for the copyright concerns previously mentioned.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    That's unfortunate. I was looking forward to seeing him as the character. I don't even think it's that serious. Ben Daimio doesn't play a large role in the Mignolaverse at all. He's highly expendable and you should be able to take liberties with a very obscure character. My girlfriend wanted to see it for the actor. Now she doesn't even care.
    Nah, you should read the series again. He's a major character.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Nah, you should read the series again. He's a major character.
    In BPRD yes.....did he ever meet hellboy in the comics?

Amazing Member

The Ed Skrein is all about the double standards. Can replace white characters but can't replace non-white.

Go on all you want about your perceived notion of fairness but you're a fool if you openly practice and praise different treatments based on race without expecting fostered animosity. Of course many here will argue this but no person who practices double standards doesn't justify.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    In BPRD yes.....did he ever meet hellboy in the comics?
    Not that I can remember.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dextersinister View Post
    The Ed Skrein is all about the double standards. Can replace white characters but can't replace non-white.

Go on all you want about your perceived notion of fairness but you're a fool if you openly practice and praise different treatments based on race without expecting fostered animosity. Of course many here will argue this but no person who practices double standards doesn't justify.

In a world where Asian actors regularly got to play characters like the live action Fu Manchu, Charlie Chan, Aang (this has been going on for a while now) or while we are at it, even Motoko Kusanagi or the gender flipped Ancient One that argument might have a point.

But this clearly isn't that world so this is just noise.

If you are an Asian Male actor, you are pretty much waiting for a either a Bruce Lee biopic or a Green Hornet reboot to get a big screen break.

Or perhaps Ryan Choi appearing on Legends of Tomorrow?

Astonishing Member

I don't believe anyone expected for "complete acceptance" for Ed Skrein decision, I mean the country right now is at it's most divisive stage since probably the 1960's.
    Do I agree with Ed Skrein decision and wish for more Asian representation? Certainly! But do I expect every single person in America to understand that white people have had/has an overwhelming portrayal within television, movies and that replacing asian characters with white characters worsen that already ridiculous gap currently in hollywood? Definitely not.

Incredible Member

Non-White characters are replaced all the time...

Let's stick with Asians this year because that is the topic of discussion

Wonder Woman- Dr. Poison was played by a white woman but she is a Japanese princess in the comics.
    Ghost in the Shell- ScarJo played Motoko Kusanagi, a Japanese woman.