Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Yep.

It also comes down to writers using Miles to write for Peter (i.e giving Miles Peter's personality) and/or using Miles to write Peter's spider-man (i.e Peter's ott quippy-ness when in costume) instead of writing Miles with his own personality in and out of costume.

It annoys me b/c the spider characters don't share the same personality, nor should Miles be your chance to write for Peter Parker when he is not, but if it's a guest appearance I guess I shouldn't complain, I did enjoy Miles guest starring on TAH, but as we can see this characterization is adding up and that same mischaracterization may be portrayed in the cartoon ...and tbh this has ne worried about the animated movie, even with Bendis involvement.
    This happens a lot with legacy characters. They either get written to have aspects of their predecessors or their predecessors will be shown as having aspects of their successors. An example of the former is how the DCAU basically gaev Tim Drake Jason Todd's backstory while for the latter we have the Flash show giving Barry some of Wally's villains.

It's really frustrating because people see this stuff and use it as "proof" that legacy characters aren't needed and are interchangeable when they aren't or at least they shouldn't be.

I half expect Jaime Reyes to be a tech genius with his own company if he ever gets his own show or movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This happens a lot with legacy characters. They either get written to have aspects of their predecessors or their predecessors will be shown as having aspects of their successors. An example of the former is how the DCAU basically gaev Tim Drake Jason Todd's backstory while for the latter we have the Flash show giving Barry some of Wally's villains.

It's really frustrating because people see this stuff and use it as "proof" that legacy characters aren't needed and are interchangeable when they aren't or at least they shouldn't be.

I half expect Jaime Reyes to be a tech genius with his own company if he ever gets his own show or movie.

Ultimate Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI4XZ3cSzuU

Shawn Shawn Shawn

Stop listening to Diversity in Comics guy on youtube. Who cherry picks books to attack.

He flat out attacked every woman at Marvel. That they did not know their jobs and they are all SJW Marvel.

He claims he do a better job. Gee you are black, don't you think you would get attacked just as bad as those women? If Redjack & David Walker can catch hell-what chance do you have?

Inhumans looks to be DOA.
    http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/inhum...ew-marvel-abc/

Wonder if this hurts or helps the chances of Marvel doing a movie with Kamala or Moon Girl at some point.

Pacific Rim 2 got moved back a month so it's no longer in competition with Black Panther.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#5998a78e1575

Forbes had an article on why this is a good thing. Especially since this year alone we had several big budget films like Spider-Man: Homecoming and War For the Planet of the Apes that had big drop-offs after their release because of all the movies that were released at the same time.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-04-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Pacific Rim 2 got moved back a month so it's no longer in competition with Black Panther.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#5998a78e1575

Forbes had an article on why this is a good thing. Especially since this year alone we had several big budget films like Spider-Man: Homecoming and War For the Planet of the Apes that had big drop-offs after their release because of all the movies that were released at the same time.
    Sure. There's also the small detail that John Boyega, or as he'll be known that month as that one black actor not apart of the Black Panther cast may not bring as many black folks into theaters as once thought comparatively so. I mean I'm making actual travel plans to see Black Panther with a group when it's released, as of right now I'm not quite sure which tie to wear... (AHEM!) I'M WEARING A TIE TO AN EFFING DISNEY MOVIE. You know, for lobby pictures, we'll see on the fedora. That's the midnight showing attire, so on Saturday I'm breaking out with the...
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Inhumans looks to be DOA.
    http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/inhum...ew-marvel-abc/

Wonder if this hurts or helps the chances of Marvel doing a movie with Kamala or Moon Girl at some point.
    I think if Marvel Studios wants to do something with Ms. Marvel or Moon Girl, they'll find a way to do it even if they have to outright remove all their ties to the Inhumans (which, to be honest, weren't that significant to begin with).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Sure. There's also the small detail that John Boyega, or as he'll be known that month as that one black actor not apart of the Black Panther cast may not bring as many black folks into theaters as once thought comparatively so. I mean I'm making actual travel plans to see Black Panther with a group when it's released, as of right now I'm not quite sure which tie to wear... (AHEM!) I'M WEARING A TIE TO AN EFFING DISNEY MOVIE. You know, for lobby pictures, we'll see on the fedora. That's the midnight showing attire, so on Saturday I'm breaking out with the...
    Eh, I don't think Pacific Rim is specifically focusing on black dollars so to speak. I believe John Boyega is the biggest star out of the total casting listed between black panther and pacific rim (Michael B Jordan a decent second and Lupita coming up the rear at 3rd) but you cannot compare a Marvel powerhouse expected movie to a movie that was barely successful last time. The 1st pacific rim was more of a cult classic more than anything else. I see the second one doing better do to John Boyega's star power, but it definitely won't bring in Black Panther numbers by any means.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    I thought New Colonia was the worst name I have ever heard for a new colony. I would think they would name it something in the vein of "Liberia" where freedom/liberty is there. Naming your country what amounts to "new colony" is horrific and a complete lack of imagination for a people who had such a huge turnaround.
    I mean, the country's name is meh, but if they have it, they should use that as the title rather than Black America, which sounds like more of a documentary than alternate history. My main hope is they try and chart out a new culture for this society and show tangible differences between black people in that timeline and in real life. I'd be let down if black culture developed the exact same way as it did historically.
    Last edited by chief12d; 08-04-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

http://deadline.com/2017/08/black-su...-8-1202142005/
    Studio 8 Options African-American Superpowers Comic ‘Black’ For Big Screen
    Another show I'll end up watching

All-New Member

Lt. Curt Masters, a Tuskegee Airman, is flying a combat mission over the skies of Nazi Germany in 1945. He encounters an alien craft. He engages the craft unsuccessfully. Soon, he is aboard the UFO and is charged with Obstruction of Galactic Operations. He and the people of earth are on trial for their survival. Can Curt Masters free himself from over a billion miles away? Will he ever return home? Or will he die at the hands of The Warlord. In this new universe, he meets Aliena-a Galactic Police officer, Sutter-a mysterious friend or foe and ARC, who is an android without a will of his own. Curt will learn that once you Look Forward you can Never Go Back. Written by Chris Love, this graphic novel offers new worlds and possibilities. A companion feature film has been adapted from this graphic novel.

BUY HERE

SUPPORT THE CAUSE

Attachment 52585

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think if Marvel Studios wants to do something with Ms. Marvel or Moon Girl, they'll find a way to do it even if they have to outright remove all their ties to the Inhumans (which, to be honest, weren't that significant to begin with).
    Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur would be an awesome Disney Pixar 3D animated feature.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Well, damn. Who'd have thought Knuckles would be so Woke?

Oh, wait, I get it. Because Knuckles is redpilled.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I did see it and I thought the message behind it was honorable and the movie was entertaining. BUT the problem with movies like this and Ghost in a shell is they're trying to fix a flawed trope by using the said flawed trope. It's like yes they're speaking to whitewashing and colonialism/genocide and that's great.
    But at the end of the day it's still a white guy/girl saving an indigenous/alien people and being dominant in someone else's environment.
    OK, I won't try to change your mind, but I'll note that every human species would be an equal intruder on what you're deeming "someone else's environment." POC actors would not have been an exception to this standard, and since that doesn't apply, then the only reason to have POC actors in this story is because you want them.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Highly recommend this man's novels and stories
    https://www.amazon.com/Balogun-Ojeta...ne_cont_book_1

Balogun is the author of the bestselling Afrikan Martial Arts: Discovering the Warrior Within and screenwriter / producer / director of the films, A Single Link, Rite of Passage: Initiation and Rite of Passage: The Dentist of Westminster.

He is one of the leading authorities on Steamfunk – a philosophy or style of writing that combines the African and / or African American culture and approach to life with that of the steampunk philosophy and / or steampunk fiction – and writes about it, the craft of writing, Sword & Soul and Steampunk in general, at http://chroniclesofharriet.com/.

He is author of eight novels – the Steamfunk bestseller, MOSES: The Chronicles of Harriet Tubman (Books 1 & 2); the Urban Science Fiction saga, Redeemer; the Sword & Soul epic, Once Upon A Time In Afrika; a Fight Fiction, New Pulp novella, Fist of Afrika; the gritty, Urban Superhero series, A Single Link and Wrath of the Siafu; the two-fisted Dieselfunk tale, The Scythe and the “Choose-Your-Own-Destiny”-style Young Adult novel, The Keys. Balogun is also contributing co-editor of two anthologies: Ki: Khanga: The Anthology and Steamfunk.

Finally, Balogun is the Director and Fight Choreographer of the Steamfunk feature film, Rite of Passage, which he wrote based on the short story, Rite of Passage, by author Milton Davis and co-author of the award winning screenplay, Ngolo.

You can reach him on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Afrikan.Martial.Arts; on Twitter @Baba_Balogun and on Tumblr at www.tumblr.com/blog/blackspeculativefiction.

Balogun works and lives in Atlanta with his wife, seven daughters, son, son-in-law, granddaughter and grandson.

Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 08-04-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur would be an awesome Disney Pixar 3D animated feature.
    It's a matter of when not if for those two.

Not really. Look at Static Shock-how he got his powers was never expanded on during the series. He got hit with gas like Ms Marvel and that was it. Or just have them already with their powers.