Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Minorities In Comics and Related Media

*Image courtesy of ExcelsiorPrime

Consider this the "All New" Minority Issues thread. This is the place to discuss issues regarding gender, ethnic, sexual, religious, and political issues in diversity as they relate to comics and media. All views are welcome, but remember what you say probably will be debated.

Helpful hint: Don't come in here claiming Martians/Aliens/Androids/Robots/Other made up species as proof of diversity when compared to actual representatives of real world minority concepts. It's stupid.

Unless your point is about something specific, like say comparing pink and blue Kree as an analogous to a specific real world dynamic, with specific examples, save it for another thread
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 05-24-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

John Boyega in Star Wars...

Since Mace Windu got to use a purple light saber what color should Jedi Boyega use to slice dark lords of the Sith up with... Yellow... Plaid?

I think J.J. Abrams made a great and bold choice with this casting and it will pay off handsomely!

I had all but retired from the Star Wars franchise after Revenge of The Sith... This might pull me back in!

Aw man, I wanted to start the new thread. I would have called it, "All new Minorities in Comics and Media #1 with 52 variant covers."

BANNED

2015 will make 2014 look like 2013. I truly get the sense that things are moving in a positive direction.

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    John Boyega in Star Wars...

Since Mace Windu got to use a purple light saber what color should Jedi Boyega use to slice dark lords of the Sith up with... Yellow... Plaid?

I think J.J. Abrams made a great and bold choice with this casting and it will pay off handsomely!

I had all but retired from the Star Wars franchise after Revenge of The Sith... This might pull me back in!
    Well, Sam Jackson requested a purple saber, so I guess whatever color Boyega wants?
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I guess I'll post what i posted in the old forum Star Wars thread here since it's more on topic here

But just out of curiosity, what's the entirely-arbitrary number required to make the quota for being "enough?" And why aren't you in every single movie thread blasting those films for not meeting it (because I'm fairly sure virtually none of them do)
    I'm not going to blast them for it but I do feel that action movies have either the Smurfette thing going or the Modified Smurfette (as I call it) in having only 2 girls.
    Star Trek Into Darkness has 2 girls. Avengers 2 will have 2 girls. Both incarnations of the Young Avengers have only 2 girls at a time.

JLA had Wonder Smurfette being the only girl, then JLE added in Power Girl. The JLI had Canary and female Dr Light for a while and then finally added in more women.

It's just one those things. People realize that one woman isn't enough, so they add a second but that's usually it. Agents of Shield actually has a whopping 3 women and it's cool to see the variety of roles. One kicks ass, one is the brain and one is the wildcard. I think Star Trek Voyager might be the only Trek with 3 women in the main cast: Janeway, B'lanna and Kes/7of9. (TNG did the first season but the rest of the series was 2)

And as mentioned earlier, they all usually have only one black person.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I guess I'll post what i posted in the old forum Star Wars thread here since it's more on topic here

I'm not going to blast them for it but I do feel that action movies have either the Smurfette thing going or the Modified Smurfette (as I call it) in having only 2 girls.
    Star Trek Into Darkness has 2 girls. Avengers 2 will have 2 girls. Both incarnations of the Young Avengers have only 2 girls at a time.

JLA had Wonder Smurfette being the only girl, then JLE added in Power Girl. The JLI had Canary and female Dr Light for a while and then finally added in more women.

It's just one those things. People realize that one woman isn't enough, so they add a second but that's usually it. Agents of Shield actually has a whopping 3 women and it's cool to see the variety of roles. One kicks ass, one is the brain and one is the wildcard. I think Star Trek Voyager might be the only Trek with 3 women in the main cast: Janeway, B'lanna and Kes/7of9. (TNG did the first season but the rest of the series was 2)

And as mentioned earlier, they all usually have only one black person.
    Smurfette was created to be the butt of sexist jokes, not as an effort to be inclusive to women.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Read up on what's going on around here. I hope this experiment works out, but doesn't this also give blanket immunity to a lot of bad eggs who got tossed out? Very unlikely they'll have changed their tunes.

Ultimate Member

JTG is now gone.

So 7 POC are gone from the WWE. Maybe 8 with Vickki G leaving. Although she just got a new figure released.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/...html#idc-cover

From the comment section

Goodnight, sweet prince x

If I can't rely on JTG sitting home collecting a WWE paycheck in this mixed up crazy world, what can I rely on? This is like hearing there's no Santa Claus.

LoP's comment section is about to break.

I'm more shocked now than I was when Takers streak was broken.

We need to get a 'Thank you JTG' chant going.

I think JTG being released was more upsetting than when my girlfriend of 5 years left me. THE STREAK IS OVER.

But someone else had some interesting comments-

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/..._Releases.html

eff Jarrett posted the following today on Twitter, teasing that some of the recently released WWE talents could be joining his Global Force Wrestling promotion:

"Well, the Independent Wrestling talent pool just got deeper today... And, it's really deep already... #GFW"

- JTG tweeted the following after his release:

"Damn ! Why I pick up my phone !"

Ultimate Member

Good news for Mr. Clay

http://www.24wrestling.com/brodus-cl...ate-debut-920/

Following their release from WWE today, both Brodus Clay and Curt Hawkins have already signed to work their first post-WWE appearances, as the two will make their Pro Wrestling Syndicate debut in Rahway, New Jersey on September 20th.
    That didn't take long.

Ultimate Member

Did anybody see this panel?

http://thatnigeriankid.tumblr.com/po...rtist-akala-on

A rapper who I never heard of talks about self hate among blacks and how they value a white person's life over a black one.

There is a youtube link there for the entire panel.

Ultimate Member

I smell Black Panther bashing

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=53490

STORM #3
    GREG PAK (W) • MATTEO BUFFAGNI (A)
    Cover by DAVID YARDIN
    Variant by STEPHANIE HANS
    • Long ago, after she was worshipped as a goddess on the plains of Africa, Storm was stripped of her mutant powers and fell into deep depression. A brilliant inventor named Forge came to her rescue and nursed her back to health, showing her that she is so much more than her superhuman abilities. And a romance blossomed between them. But it was a love made to be broken…
    • Now, years later, Storm has the powers and stature of a goddess once more, and she is reunited with Forge. But what does fate have in store for the pair this time?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Ultimate Member

http://www.animationmagazine.net/hom...the-boondocks/

It’s taken a while, but fans of The Boondocks can finally complete their collections.

The Adult Swim series, based on the comic strip created by Aaron McGruder, arrives with two releases — one for ongoing fans and ones who need to catch up: The Boondocks: The Complete Fourth Season (Sony, $40.99) and The Boondocks: The Complete Uncensored Series (Sony, $95.99).

This week also sees the release of the visual-effects extravaganza 300: Rise of an Empire (Warner Bros., $44.95 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD and digital copy combo pack; $39.95 Blu-ray, DVD and digital copy combo pack; $28.98 DVD special edition), a sequel to the hit 2007 movie based on Frank Miller’s graphic novel.

Ultimate Member

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...death-24234259

"Rizzoli & Isles" is saying goodbye to Lee Thompson Young, who played police Detective Barry Frost on the TNT crime drama.

"They have not replaced him and don't intend to do so anytime soon," she said. "So his seat remains empty and it's something that we have had to look at and struggle with from day one of shooting."
    And Perception returns (well it came back last week but no one know it." Levar Burton appears.

Ultimate Member

Sanders of the River (1937) with Paul Robeson & Nina Mae McKinney is now on TCM for the first time. Robeson has top billing for the film done in England.