Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I never did notice it until now, but Steve's costume in the first avengers movie really does look like a cosplayer.
    Yeah, its so weird because MCU costumes have been great.... except for that front and center miss fire.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

I don;t think the Cap suit in that was THAT bad if at all.
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

BANNED

The suit is okay. It's the... thing he's wearing on his head that's the problem.

It might have to do with the stark contrast between the costume in Avengers 1 compared to the ones in The First Avenger, Winter Solder, Avengers 2 and now Civil War. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

It's kind of like Spider Man's new costume, it looks like it's modernized version of Steve Ditko's design compared to the ones used in the other movies, which look like most superhero costumes did in the early aughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose100 View Post
    I don;t think the Cap suit in that was THAT bad if at all.
    It is easily the worst suit.

I mean, its not "x-men wearing black leather like the matrix" but... compared to thor, IM, hulk, loki? ven compared to all other cap suits... it aint good

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yeah, its so weird because MCU costumes have been great.... except for that front and center miss fire.
    It's caring because his costume in his first movie is actually good/ok. And his Winter Soldier gear is awesome too, but his costume in the first Avengers movie sucked and everyone knows it.

I'm sure people at Marvel will admit it behind closed doors. Fox's X-men had better costumes
    The J-man

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    I've seen answers that come down to, "Caucasian directors ought to be more diverse because they supposedly have more clout."

I have not yet seen an answer to one of my earlier posts: that the reason many Caucasian directors have more clout is because they *may* orient their works toward the American Caucasian majority, though this could be for any number of reasons, including a disinclination to be criticized for "getting it wrong."

I think there's an assumption in some posts here that there can't be a fiscal downside to being more diverse. If that's the idea being promoted here, I think it's wrong. That doesn't mean that an artist shouldn't seek diversity if he feels that to be a moral imperative, but he should do so with the clear understanding that it may not pay off at the box office and that some minority representatives may attack him for his trouble.

Here's an example of an arguably unfair response to white writer William Styron attempting to retell the story of Nat Turner in semi-fictional terms.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/274771?s...n_tab_contents

Maybe some of you have read NAT TURNER, and may think the criticism was justified. That's your privilege, and it's my privilege to point out that sometimes critics of all stripes can be overly polemical and overly defensive.
    I don't think that link helps your argument. BUT let's consider another hypothetical situation...let's say Kevin Smith is trying to make a comeback movie. Say a serious docudrama comes across his desk called Angela Davis: One Girl's Struggle. If Smith goes "Hmm..I really don't know much about the conditions Angela grew up in and I don't understand much about being gay or radical politics. I'll pass and let either a black person or a white guy that understands the history handle this one," I don't think that many reasonable people would fault him much.

But if he does New York Bus Drivers! about 5 zany bus drivers who try to out snark each other and all of them are 30 yr old WASPy guys, people might rightly ask what's the deal? There's black and asian drivers, there's older guys and women drivers...why is your cast so homogenous?

But like I said before, the real issue isn't why isn't Kevin telling Ava's story...it's why is it so hard in Hollywood for Ava to tell her own story

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

This could have been posted before, I'm just posting and running but the black Superman of Earth 23 is getting a "Multiverse" line figure from Mattel

And I guess it's hitting shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I don't know the film, looking over Wikipedia (so, grain of salt, and I will defer to your opinion of course, since you've actually seen it I have not) the name "Frank" is in every line of the "plot" practically. "Frank did this, Frank then notices, Frank is then partnered" etc (and Cage is Frank). Who would say is the lead of that film?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bringing_Out_the_Dead
    I'd say "See the film. Then, we'll discuss if it seems like he is as "lead" as it makes him sound."

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I'd say "See the film. Then, we'll discuss if it seems like he is as "lead" as it makes him sound."
    LOL!!! Truthfully I have no interest in seeing another Nicholas Cage (or Scorcese film for that matter; I've sat through enough of his work to know he doesn't excite me); nor do I believe Cage is not the lead. Either you'll answer the question on who is the lead or (for some odd reason) you won't. If you won't then your attempts to add to the discussion fall pretty flat. If you have relevant information by all means share it. If your contribution is "mmmmm maybe might not be riddle-dee-dee sort who knows, tee hee".... well, not sure 'contribution' is an apt description in this case
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-16-2016 at 12:27 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Let's make it a movie just about everyone has seen.

While I guess you could make a case for Dorothy or The Dude being the lead, it seems to me like The Scarecrow or Walter Sobchak also have a lead role.

Take Silverado. Is Mal a lead role? He was pretty far down on the posters I recall.

Matter of fact. Take a look at the trailer, and tell me who the lead is -

Let's make it a movie just about everyone has seen.

While I guess you could make a case for Dorothy or The Dude being the lead, it seems to me like The Scarecrow or Walter Sobchak also have a lead role.

Take Silverado. Is Mal a lead role? He was pretty far down on the posters I recall.
    Sadly, posters, trailers and name billing don't actually reveal who the lead is plenty of times, point and case Ripley in Alien. Also are we debating lead means protagonist, person on screen the most or person the story is mostly about (even if they are not in it much)?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I'm sure people at Marvel will admit it behind closed doors. Fox's X-men had better costumes
    Naw, Fox doesn't even try lol

Matter of fact. Take a look at the trailer, and tell me who the lead is -

Is this a trick question? My guess would be the guy they show every .02 seconds, Nic Cage.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum