Women: They’re Just Like Us! Aaron Sorkin Reveals Approach to Writing Female Characters

http://www.themarysue.com/aaron-sorkin-laaaaaaadies/

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    . I thought the wolf Fang fist was the coolest thing ever when I was a child lol
    I'll admit, I use to spam the crap out of that move in Budokai 3 XD And now I miss my PS2

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Women: They’re Just Like Us! Aaron Sorkin Reveals Approach to Writing Female Characters

I can't say enough how I much I hate it when people do gender/race blind writing.

Adding diversity isn't just about surface changes. A character of another gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or even geographic location is likely going to react to certain situations in a different way, THAT opens up a whole new world of stories to be told. The way a woman navigates certain spaces is NOT going to be the same way a man does, so just writing women while ignoring that they're women is fucking stupid.

This is just like the issue i have with how Bendis handles Miles Morales. He writes Miles in a manner where his race is a complete non factor. In doing so it makes Miles' interactions with the world he lives in and responses to certain events completely inauthentic, and the character can at times feel hollow because of that.
    Last edited by Kasper Cole; 10-07-2015 at 01:24 PM.

BANNED

Someone actually tried to argue that Dick punching out Midnighter was more earned.

What I find wierd about the "Cass is a total mary sue" arguments is that these people ignore how she's outclassed in pretty much every area that has nothing to do with combat by not just other members of the Bat-family but everyone else in the DCU.
    Well of course cause he is a Bat. Honestly, no contest Between Midnighter and Dick even if Midnighter doesnt use his Battle Computer his physical stats still utterly outclass Dick....heck the dude use to speedblitz speedsters.

So that "The Mission" article on Valiant got me a bit curious about that line, especially the Shadowman character. Can anyone tell me what his powers are like?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I can't say enough how I much I hate it when people do gender/race blind writing.

Adding diversity isn't just about surface changes. A character of another gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or even geographic location is likely going to react to certain situations in a different way, THAT opens up a whole new world of stories to be told. The way a woman navigates certain spaces is NOT going to be the same way a man does, so just writing women while ignoring that they're women is fucking stupid.

This is just like the issue i have with how Bendis handles Miles Morales. He writes Miles in a manner where his race is a complete non factor. In doing so it makes Miles' interactions with the world he lives in and responses to certain events completely inauthentic, and the character can at times feel hollow because of that.

While I can agree with the first statement, the second statement I believe fits more about diversity of experience. There shouldn't be a uniform state that indicates that by being a certain demographic, you have to have a reflection based on your race, gender, sexuality and etc, just like completing avoiding the issue is also a problem. Like anything, there should be a balance. For example, we saw how race played a part with Captain Falcon with Remender and how people view him for taking up the mantle. Luke Cage is often neck deep in social exploration. Same with Blue Marvel. As long as there is a variety of exploration regarding individuals where race is an issue and individuals where race isn't an issue, it's fine. When you start to lean towards one side or the other, that's when the variety disappears.
    Last edited by leo619; 10-07-2015 at 02:55 PM.

So a little reminder that the best female wrestler in the E is... Well, it's Kana/Asuka, but the wrestler making the biggest buzz in the E right now is Sasha Banks, Snoop Dogg's cousin.

She has a big match on the WWE Network tonight, and it's going to be awesome.

Fin.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    While I can agree with the first statement, the second statement I believe fits more about diversity of experience. There shouldn't be a uniform state that indicates that by being a certain demographic, you have to have a reflection based on your race, gender, sexuality and etc, just like completing avoiding the issue is also a problem. Like anything, there should be a balance. For example, we saw how race played a part with Captain Falcon with Remender and how people view him for taking up the mantle. Luke Cage is often neck deep in social exploration. Same with Blue Marvel. As long as there is a variety of exploration regarding individuals where race is an issue and individuals where race isn't an issue, it's fine. When you start to lean towards one side or the other, that's when the variety disappears.
    I can agree with some of that but in Miles's case-it's hard to justify.

He is in NEW YORK CITY.

Race will be an issue no matter what Friends, Girls and other shows will try to bs us with.

I could understand if Miles lived in Smallville or some city where blacks are a low population. Where he is the black community. Even then you would still have issues with Miles being confronted with folks believe of every single stereotype about blacks. I dealt with a lot of those guys in college where they never met a real live black person before.

But Miles is in New York. It might not happen all the time but it would be interesting to see.

Stop & Frisk
    George Zimmerman
    Michael Dunn
    The anti Michael B Jordan faction

should happen to Miles but we should see a different reaction from him versus Eli Bradley.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I can agree with some of that but in Miles's case-it's hard to justify.

He is in NEW YORK CITY.

Race will be an issue no matter what Friends, Girls and other shows will try to bs us with.

I could understand if Miles lived in Smallville or some city where blacks are a low population. Where he is the black community. Even then you would still have issues with Miles being confronted with folks believe of every single stereotype about blacks. I dealt with a lot of those guys in college where they never met a real live black person before.

But Miles is in New York. It might not happen all the time but it would be interesting to see.

Stop & Frisk
    George Zimmerman
    Michael Dunn
    The anti Michael B Jordan faction

should happen to Miles but we should see a different reaction from him versus Eli Bradley.
    But that's the thing, this is comics. If we can accept the fact that we have Howard the Duck, or a squirrel girl able to defeat Thanos, I'm pretty sure we can excuse one hero in New York City not having anything race related. Especially with the fact that there are others that already tread that line as is. That's why I said there needs to be a balance. The same reasoning that could be used for Miles could used for almost every black superhero, especially because of the fact that most Superhero incidents seem to happen in New York City. There's very few heroes period, let alone black heroes, that seem to have adventurers outside New York City. Even Ultimates, whose focus appear to be space based, are centered around characters which are very heavily on social exploration. Blue Marvel entire origin is based around the civil rights movements and the fear of a black man with massive amounts of power. Monica has had numerous occasions dealing with race including the hair incident, and I don't even need to talk about Black Panther.

So that's why I said, there needs to be a balance. This is fantasy after all, and variety is very important to keep things fresh and different.

Extraordinary Member

Every character in a Sorkin piece is a mouthpiece for Sorkin, Men and Women alike.That is something I observed 5 episodes into his SNL based dramedy.

This isn't news.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    According to internet rumor that was the original but Goku's immense popularity won out. Of course that's just a rumor so who knows. I just wish Gohan had some better showings post Cell saga.
    The rumor I heard was Toriyama got hit with death threats because he wanted to kill off Goku permanently. Kinda like HEAT I guess.

Invincible Member

So that "The Mission" article on Valiant got me a bit curious about that line, especially the Shadowman character. Can anyone tell me what his powers are like?
    Hope this helps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowman_(comics)

The only version that I've read was the most recent one. It didn't blow me away but I thought it was very interesting. I haven't read any of the 90's run.

You might want to check out the Dr Mirage miniseries as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    The rumor I heard was Toriyama got hit with death threats because he wanted to kill off Goku permanently. Kinda like HEAT I guess.
    I heard that it was just management not wanting Toriyama to kill off their cash cow. Watching DBZ it certainly
    looks/reads as if he was planning to kill off Goku and have Gohan take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    That is terrible but not in the least bit surprising if true. I've heard plenty of horror stories about how passionate Japanese fans can get though the same could be said of all fans.

Did you guys check out Amazing Spider-Man? I'm guessing we will definitely see some teamups between Miles and his "uncle" considering his role in the new parkerverse.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum