Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I frankly can't get past the idea of a Nancy Drew in her 30s.

At certain point you go so far away from the source material that you might as well make up something new.
    Then again I don't know how much appeal the "kid detective" schtick has outside of kiddie cartoons and superheroes (and even with the latter it's come under some scrutiny).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well to be fair Static does fall into the same trap as Miles.

Of the 52 solo issues of Static-he dealt with racism early in his career with some black guy trying to kill Jews. That last 3 issues. Then you had the Static Shock episode with Rich's racist Dad and Static in Africa.

We overlook it because we saw his entire life from being a hero to being a kid to being a boyfriend to supporting a gay friend and so on.

Miles has been held hostage by the shadow of Peter Parker and the the messed universe that he lived in. Now maybe the new book can focus on Miles the kid and give him the social life we saw with Static and Ms marvel.
    Out of maybe 40 or so issues of Static maybe about 10 of them dealt with social issues and that's
    counting all the "is Richie Gay or what?" stuff.

Those are just the cherished issues by the fans. They werent the majority.

Bendis might be working up to that stuff or he may want to not deal with social issues at all.

Im not a regular reader.

Ultimate Member

Finally read Jughead. Chuck Clayton is back and why is Moose dumber than he was in the old series.

And I also saw probably the WORST comic-aside from the villain (who might be that weather man guy Will Ferrell played) not one original idea.

Nightwasp-the man who is hardly afraid.

rip off Daredevil title-check
    the hero is a rich billionaire that inherited his money, had a butler with a foreign origin (Germany) and a ward (side kick)-check
    dresses as an animal or insect-check
    side kick is also an animal name-check
    who dresses like Tim Drake-check
    he's a teen-check
    he's black and balding high school kid that dresses in a cap, blue blazer and shorts with high school like a school kid from a Benny Hill skit
    a fake Henry Pym that won't stop changing ids
    a black Scott Summers
    An Asian Hulk with Thing's skin
    Supreme appears as does Owl Man, Hwkgirl, Hercules (Erik Lawson's version) and Captain America in his movie outfit.
    Never mind the black sidekick changed skin tones between the scenes.

How does a book like that get made? At least try to hide the fact you are ripping off 30 different properties.

http://www.eurweb.com/2015/10/fox-or...nuts-rosewood/

The network has ordered three more scripts for the freshman crime drama, starring Morris Chestnut as private pathologist Dr. Beaumont Rosewood Jr.
    The show has performed well in the ratings since its debut, serving as the lead in to Fox’s megahit “Empire.”
    The three scripts come in addition to the 13 fully produced episodes already ordered by Fox. Though the order falls short of a full-season pickup, it does indicate the network has hope for the series.

Finally read Jughead. Chuck Clayton is back and why is Moose dumber than he was in the old series.

And I also saw probably the WORST comic-aside from the villain (who might be that weather man guy Will Ferrell played) not one original idea.

Nightwasp-the man who is hardly afraid.

rip off Daredevil title-check
    the hero is a rich billionaire that inherited his money, had a butler with a foreign origin (Germany) and a ward (side kick)-check
    dresses as an animal or insect-check
    side kick is also an animal name-check
    who dresses like Tim Drake-check
    he's a teen-check
    he's black and balding high school kid that dresses in a cap, blue blazer and shorts with high school like a school kid from a Benny Hill skit
    a fake Henry Pym that won't stop changing ids
    a black Scott Summers
    An Asian Hulk with Thing's skin
    Supreme appears as does Owl Man, Hwkgirl, Hercules (Erik Lawson's version) and Captain America in his movie outfit.
    Never mind the black sidekick changed skin tones between the scenes.

How does a book like that get made? At least try to hide the fact you are ripping off 30 different properties.

http://www.eurweb.com/2015/10/fox-or...nuts-rosewood/
    Sounds like a satire of a super hero book from your description.

Incredible Member

The only lines I remember him having were as a Hodor analogue in a primarily GoT-themed dream world. (Great issue, by the way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Trust, I've run into the same issue, but I can extroverted in the right environments.

Classic example is of well developed introverts would be Amelie from the movie Amelie. There are plenty of comedic examples though: George from Seinfield, Rosa Diaz from B99 (though her's isn't an extreme case), etc.

I tend to think superhero comics don't do this well, outside of some portrayals of Reed or Cass Cain.
    I think, when written well, Barry Allen is a good example of an introverted character. Most speedsters tend to have happy go lucky personalities like Wally West, Bart Allen, or even Sonic the Hedgehog. Barry's not like that, he's a quiet, thoughtful scientist. His personality os the opposite of his powers, which is a really interesting contrast. It bugs me when people say he's boring.

Bit off topic, but is anyone planning on checking out that Goosebumps movie? I might. I read those books all the time when I was little.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I think, when written well, Barry Allen is a good example of an introverted character. Most speedsters tend to have happy go lucky personalities like Wally West, Bart Allen, or even Sonic the Hedgehog. Barry's not like that, he's a quiet, thoughtful scientist. His personality os the opposite of his powers, which is a really interesting contrast. It bugs me when people say he's boring.

Bit off topic, but is anyone planning on checking out that Goosebumps movie? I might. I read those books all the time when I was little.
    I'm going back and forth on whether I'll check out the Goosebumps movie. I did like the books as a kid but I'm not sure how well they'd translate to film.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post

I read a lot of the Goosebumps books as a kid in the 90s too. I'm definitely not going to the theatres to see this movie but when it eventually comes on out tv I'll watch it, even though Jack Black is in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Then again I don't know how much appeal the "kid detective" schtick has outside of kiddie cartoons and superheroes (and even with the latter it's come under some scrutiny).
    Well Veronica Mars was a minor hit a couple of years back right?

Okay, call me crazy but after watching Rosewood, I am legit curious to see how Morris Chestnut would play a character like Mr Terrific.
    Good lord I hope I don't see that come to pass. I can't stand the pablum which is Morris Chestnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I didn't say that Miles wasn't relatable, I said Miles isn't a fully realized character and that he lacks any sort of authenticity or depth. I also said every Miles story doesn't need to focus on race or social issues. The issue is these things aren't even so much as acknowledged in the slightest bit. I'm not even talking about deep stories that delve into political issues, it could be small things such as Miles occasionally using a Spanish word here or there to acknowledge his Latino heritage.

A good example of this would be how Bendis often writes Kitty Pryde. Every issue featuring Kitty isn't about how Jewish she is, but her being Jewish IS a part of her character and informs her back story and how she reacts to certain things. It's not a continual ongoing thing but it does happen from time to time and helps make her a more fleshed out and realized character.

I've read every issue featuring Miles as Spider-Man and I genuinely couldn't give you a description of Miles as a person beyond his physical appearance. He's just blank character that gets caught up in events.

The crazy thing is Bendis did a good job of fleshing out his dad and uncle. Hell Ganke is more fleshed out character than Miles. Same goes for Bendis version of Cloak and Dagger.
    I think Bendis is going for a cipher for Miles. Someone who you project yourself onto. Kinda like Harry Potter. No real personality just a mirror for people to see themselves in. In a way, making him blandly universal.

Women: They’re Just Like Us! Aaron Sorkin Reveals Approach to Writing Female Characters
    Well one male writer whose women I've enjoyed reading is Larry McMurtry. I think he's got a good ear for it. And no I didn't like the Berrybender books.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Marvel's coming for all of our wallets. That's what they do. They don't care what color your skin is. The only color they care about is the green of our money.
    They don't seem too interested in coming for the pink pound, though
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I frankly can't get past the idea of a Nancy Drew in her 30s.

At certain point you go so far away from the source material that you might as well make up something new.
    The Nancy Drew series I remember was the 90's one where she was in college and solved crimes with her bf and partying friends

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    They don't seem too interested in coming for the pink pound, though
    They will.

Fantastic Member

Any demographic that can make a company money, they will make products to make more. Phillip-Morris makes mad money on Marlboros, but they still continue to make their other 20 some brands of cigarettes, smokeless tobacco and cigars. They are just as pleased to take your Marlboro money as they are your Black & Milds money. One is just a bigger figure than the other.