Page 104 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 454941001011021031041051061071081141542046041104 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 35047

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    Pretty much, the characters job is to guard the bridge. Taking that into account it's pretty significant that he got as much if not more screen time than the warriors 3 and Sif.
    Here's the thing that you guys don't seem to get. Why settle for the table scraps when we could have a whole meal? You guys are so damn happy and ready to rejoice whenever a white D to Z list Marvel (or DC) character is racebent (be it in the movies or on TV) that you don't eve realize that they are throwing us table scraps. You guys don't even realize that casting Idris to play Hemdeil doubled as both a table scrap tossed to black moviegoers and was color blind casting. Which means that if the the THOR movie franchise is ever rebooted, a white actor could be cast in the role. Except for his name,powers,and sworn duty to guard the Rainbow Bridge, the movie Hemdeil is a completely different character then the comic book version and should have been a brand new original character.

It's cool yall, she does music and is friends with a few black people.....totally not racist.
    Is that Katey Perry or Lady Gaga?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    If they were to limit the story to a particular enclave, but there tends to be more racial diversity in America than there is in Japan. I'm thinking of The Departed as an adaptation where all the characters were Chinese American and not finding it would justify a suspension of disbelief when they'd be better off just dubbing the Chinese version in English.
    The background characters could be whatever. It wouldn't be necessary for some random dude on the street to also be Chinese. But the primary and secondary roles could still be Chinese American characters. It would just need to be set in a city with large Chinese American populations. Parts of New York and California are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Here's the thing that you guys don't seem to get. Why settle for the table scraps when we could have a whole meal? You guys are so damn happy and ready to rejoice whenever a white D to Z list Marvel (or DC) character is racebent (be it in the movies or on TV) that you don't eve realize that they are throwing us table scraps. You guys don't even realize that casting Idris to play Hemdeil doubled as both a table scrap tossed to black moviegoers and was color blind casting. Which means that if the the THOR movie franchise is ever rebooted, a white actor could be cast in the role. Except for his name,powers,and sworn duty to guard the Rainbow Bridge, the movie Hemdeil is a completely different character then the comic book version and should have been a brand new original character.
    It's not an either/or thing.

Not a single person who said they're ok with minority actors being given roles traditionally played by white actors has "settled" for anything. The same people who are ok with those casting choices are also the MOST vocal about these studios dragging their feet with original and adapted films with minority leads.

For those that were asking that's Katy Perry in that picture.

It's not an either/or thing.

Not a single person who said they're ok with minority actors being given roles traditionally played by white actors has "settled" for anything. The same people who are ok with those casting choices are also the MOST vocal about these studios dragging their feet with original and adapted films with minority leads.
    You partly missed my point. I'm talking SOLELY about D to Z list characters that were created/intended to be white and who are not that populkar and/or can't carry their own book being racebent into minority characters. As long as you are "OK" with and gobble up those table scraps, Hollywood would continue to feed you those table scraps, no matter how vocal you are about wanting a full course meal.

No linking to videos from a questionably legal site, please
    Thank you

BANNED

Is that Katey Perry or Lady Gaga?
    The only thing offensive in that shot is the 1953 torselette John Wayne approved flatness of the singer's azzzzz. She is like a drag queen too gutless to go for the "tarantula eyes". She less femme than the figures surrounding her.

It doesn't take much effort to have his background/past be summed up in a few lines. Also, plenty of effort was put into a background character like Coulson (who was an original character created for the movies).
    Coulson is a more important character than Heimdall, even though he's somewhat dull (by design I suspect.) He was one of the characters linking the franchises together and who helped establish a sense of a shared universe.

You partly missed my point. I'm talking SOLELY about D to Z list characters that were created/intended to be white and who are not that populkar and/or can't carry their own book being racebent into minority characters. As long as you are "OK" with and gobble up those table scraps, Hollywood would continue to feed you those table scraps, no matter how vocal you are about wanting a full course meal.
    I agree with this, to a point. Fans should expect and should receive original minority characters. And they would if we weren't talking about American superhero comics. But this is a genre in which characters have been around for decades and decades, where the most popular franchises tend to have originated when practically all major characters were white, where it's incredibly hard for new characters to find traction.
    Last edited by MidTierHero; 06-10-2014 at 03:22 AM.

It's cool yall, she does music and is friends with a few black people.....totally not racist.
    The mummies weren't twerking were they?

It doesn't take much effort to have his background/past be summed up in a few lines. Also, plenty of effort was put into a background character like Coulson (who was an original character created for the movies).
    Just like it made absolute zero sense to do that with Coulso. Oh, wait......
    MidTierHero covered some of it:

Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    Coulson is a more important character than Heimdall, even though he's somewhat dull (by design I suspect.) He was one of the characters linking the franchises together and who helped establish a sense of a shared universe.
    To add to that you (Blade X) are being disingenuous in acting as if Coulson was this fleshed out character in his movie appearances. Most of his character development has happened on his mediocre tv show.

Don't know what guys you are talking about. Definitely not me. The idea that I've spent plenty of $$$ in my efforts to put out an original black comic character instead of bitching and moaning about what the big 2 don't (and never will) do, yet somehow I'm all googly eyed over some background character in a movie based on a big 2 property is laughable. Stating on obvious fact (that they weren't going to do all you suggested for a black background Asgardian) doesn't equal being enamored with them.

We no doubt have VERY different ideas of what a whole meal would be. Mine would be a black character as the lead, not a brand new original background character. If Elba's character was brand new he'd still be inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Extraordinary Member

It'd be less offensive if they were actual black women imo, here with all the padding and masks you can't tell. It's like a blackface thing and of course they're monsters.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post

The nfl is going to drag this out as long as they can

I've noticed a sentiment among some black people I know that they refuse to watch anymore films depicting African Americans as either slaves, servants, or criminals. With very few exceptions (aka a show that rhymes with The Sire).

I'm actually kinda fond of that sentiment, though it does exclude quite of bit of history. I actually want to expand that.

I refuse to watch or read or play things that do the same for Africans. If they are slaves, victims, or monsters, then no dice.