Page 106 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 656961021031041051061071081091101161562066061106 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 35047
    Ultimate Member

When two or more fail execs immediately assume they'll all fail.
    And how is that my fault or anyone else? Everybody has Google and those execs have people whose JOB it is to find out why this film or that film failed. If I want to know why the latest Tyler Perry black male bashing film failed-I'll research it on my own just like they do with white projects.

Its not like they won't stop trying-not if they want a chunk of that trillion dollars that blacks spend outside of the black community every year. We got studios now trying to get minority writers and film makers through various programs now.

They saw how 2 Tim Story directed film made almost a 100 million while Tyler can't sniff more than 50 million.

Disney saw how every time they do a black cast film for the Disney Channel-it breaks rating records and the last 2 had black male leads.

what's also important is that we STRONGLY support the QUALITY black independent films that differ from what the major studios keep pushing out.
    The issue with that is when we get those films-WHO is the first one to complain? BLACK FOLKS who have bought into the we can't do this or that mess mindset.

We saw that with Red Tails with black women boycotting the film because they weren't in it and a character fell in love with a white woman.
    Daddy's Girls-"oh we can't have a film showing black men caring for their kids because the ones I know don't."
    Game of Your Life-"black boys aren't smart."

We can't get those strong film of balance if we think we can only be salves, thugs, jocks and target practice for George Zimmerman or the cops. We have to change the mindset but we can't do that when Oprah, Tyler, Steve, Lee Daniels and others are heck bent in keeping those images alive because that's how they got their money and studio won't stop eating it up.

And when those film that are decent get made-you can't find them anywhere. We can't keep limiting our films to certain cities. I can't go to New York for black film festivals or cons.

I promise you if Holmes & Watson do make it to tv-they will face the same complaints and will get screwed around like Boondocks (who should be in season 7 not season 4) and Static Shock.

In fact, part of what I was talking about was giving those original minority background characters either their own movie or TV series if they proved to be very popular with moviegoers and fans.
    Now you know those studios are not going to do that. See Static. They have tried EVERYTHING to bury him. Yet the average white person KNOWS who he is. They can sing that theme song. I ahve seen white kids dressed as him.

Same with Falcon. His movie figure will not come out until long AFTER the DVD comes out.

Luke Cage-his toy can't even get mentioned on tv, so you know his tv series will get ignored.

They are so scared that the minority character will get more popular than their precious white ones. Yet it's fine if a raccoon at Marvel gets that popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    I'm kinda along your line of thinking but like you mentioned with a Mau Mau or Nat turner flick I don't see that happening. I'm generally tired of these slavery movies or roles with criminals. I don't think until Hollywood has some huge ass paradigm shift we'd get diversity in those kind of films, so for now I'm kinda not dealing with anything like that if it comes out uh the future

Though you'll have to explain Tora! Tora! Tora! To me
    Even though it's got its problem Tora! Tora! Tora! attempted to give equal perspective to the participants involved in the Pearl Harbor attack.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Not sure if anyone has seen this.

This advertisement will be ran during the NBA Finals.
    It's part of the Anti-Redskins campaign to help gain support for the NFL's name change.
    The ad is both powerful and beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE

It drives me absolutely nuts that people are fighting to keep that name. Teams having name changes is nothing new, why not get something more appropriate for a team in Washington rather than using a pejorative term.

It's a great ad and sentiment, I'm just disappointed it even needed to be made.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Even though it's got its problem Tora! Tora! Tora! attempted to give equal perspective to the participants involved in the Pearl Harbor attack.
    Huh, that's interesting, I think that could work for a Mau Mau flick as long as they avoid the problems Tora!tora!tora! had
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Not sure if anyone has seen this.

This advertisement will be ran during the NBA Finals.
    It's part of the Anti-Redskins campaign to help gain support for the NFL's name change.
    The ad is both powerful and beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE
    It struck me today that the team with the racist name being in the seat of the government that so profoundly screwed the natives in the first place is the definition of adding insult to injury.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And how is that my fault or anyone else?
    Nowhere in my post did I say that was the fault of moviegoers. I'm saying that's how not seeing those films will be interpreted because that's always how it's interpreted. The fault lies with the movie executives and dumb ass logic, i'm just acknowledging that they use that logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    It drives me absolutely nuts that people are fighting to keep that name. Teams having name changes is nothing new, why not get something more appropriate for a team in Washington rather than using a pejorative term.

It's a great ad and sentiment, I'm just disappointed it even needed to be made.
    It actually shows just how much contempt the owner has for Native Americans. Changing the teams name would actually be profitable for the simple fact that die hard fans would rush out to buy all the new jerseys and gear.

We saw this happen when the Oilers changed their names to the Titans and when the Bullets changed their name to the Wizards.

BANNED

exhale....

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

The issue with that is when we get those films-WHO is the first one to complain? BLACK FOLKS who have bought into the we can't do this or that mess mindset.

We saw that with Red Tails with black women boycotting the film because they weren't in it and a character fell in love with a white woman.
    i always find this funny when you bring it up, seeing how you rant about black woman in roles opposite white dudes with no black men in sight. labeling them sidepieces, even when they're not, and other things, like bed wench.

Daddy's Girls-"oh we can't have a film showing black men caring for their kids because the ones I know don't."
    Game of Your Life-"black boys aren't smart."
    huh? who was saying this? links, please

We can't get those strong film of balance if we think we can only be salves, thugs, jocks and target practice for George Zimmerman or the cops. We have to change the mindset but we can't do that when Oprah, Tyler, Steve, Lee Daniels and others are heck bent in keeping those images alive because that's how they got their money and studio won't stop eating it up.
    really? that is what all of those are heck bent on showing? really?

all this talk about balance, did you check to see if Belle was playing in your area? or somewhere you might have to travel out of your way? how many festivals and special screenings have you gone to? if someone was to pop off a bunch of small indie movies from the last few years, would you be able to say that you saw it? it's nice to talk about others, and we all know you love to talk about pookie and ray ray (and black women in general), but what are you doing? constantly talking about static, tim story, or arjay smith doesn't put you on some stratified plateau

And when those film that are decent get made-you can't find them anywhere. We can't keep limiting our films to certain cities. I can't go to New York for black film festivals or cons.
    unless you own a theater or can successfully lobby not just the theater, but the studio and distributor to increase the limited viewing of a movie release, it is what it is. if that's not successful, then a small group in a community can try to pool resources, make a pitch and try to get a special viewing. as for festivals, there are plenty around the country. i haven't been to a city that doesn't have one at some time in the year. from pan african to pan-asian, etc that are specific to a community. and/or attached to a larger 'mainstream' festival.

[/QUOTE]

seriously though how many mainstream films about slavery have there actually been for folks to be complaining about it this much?

12 Years a slave
    Amistad
    Django Unchained
    Mandingo
    Glory
    The Legend of Nigger charley
    Savannah

I know there's more but those are just off the top of my head and notice it's not that many given that some of those films are older than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    It actually shows just how much contempt the owner has for Native Americans. Changing the teams name would actually be profitable for the simple fact that die hard fans would rush out to buy all the new jerseys and gear.

We saw this happen when the Oilers changed their names to the Titans and when the Bullets changed their name to the Wizards.
    The Bullets name change didn't go over too well with Washingtonians. Neither did those blue and white uniforms. That's why now you see the Wizards going back to the Bullets uniform colors. Back in the Bullet days, DC was the murder capital of the country so the reason why they changed the name was understood but it took a while for people to get used too.

As for the Redskins, it's just an issue with the name right? I remember when they tried to compromise and replaced the Indianhead with an arrow and then the letter R. If it's just the name then I can keep most of my paraphernalia.
    “Let the King get back on his throne." - Jay Briscoe

Who is it that does that?

I don't recall anyone "rejoicing" about Laurence Fishburne being cast as Perry White or even Idris Elba as Heimdall. what you will see is people saying their ok with those casting decisions and push back against the racist complaints about those casting decisions.
    1. I was being hyperbolic when I said "rejoicing".

2. They say more then just "I'm OK with the casting decisions". They try to justify the racebending.

3. Not everyone who is against or complains about those racebending casting decisions are racist (although some of them are racist and some are hypocritical). And yes, I know that you ARE NOT saying that everyone who is against or complain about the racebending casting is a racist.

And again even in those instances people make it a point to say they'd rather have Black Panther, Luke Cage, or Blade film.
    I NEVER said or implied that they didn't.

BANNED

seriously though how many mainstream films about slavery have there actually been for folks to be complaining about it this much?

12 Years a slave
    Amistad
    Django Unchained
    Mandingo
    Glory
    Savannah

I know there's more but those are just off the top of my head and notice it's not that many given that some of those films are older than me.
    add sankofa

some of those may involve the enslaved, but they're about something else, like a court case or a black regiment in the civil war. most have never seen mandingo, with good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I've noticed a sentiment among some black people I know that they refuse to watch anymore films depicting African Americans as either slaves, servants, or criminals. With very few exceptions (aka a show that rhymes with The Sire).

I'm actually kinda fond of that sentiment, though it does exclude quite of bit of history. I actually want to expand that.

I refuse to watch or read or play things that do the same for Africans. If they are slaves, victims, or monsters, then no dice.
    Similar sentiment here. I was dragged to go see The Butler but turns out that I liked the movie.

The thing that bums me out is that those type of black movies/roles are the only ones that get the accolades as far Oscars, Golden Globes, and what have you.
    Last edited by UltraMagnetic; 06-10-2014 at 05:04 PM.
    “Let the King get back on his throne." - Jay Briscoe

12 Years a slave
    Amistad
    Django Unchained
    Mandingo
    Glory
    Savannah

The thing is recently we get one or two of those movies a year.
    We need better comics