BANNED

Eh its got a black guy who closes out on a high note with a win...dont get me wrong I am not opposesd to a black character struggling and growing but no payoff in the first movies? Not acceptable.

Invincible Member

Ok, now I'm starting to get curious...

I mean, i'll state my bias upfront, I fell asleep during the most recent two Star Wars movies and I had no desire to see this film in the theatres. I was going to wait and maybe rent it when it came out on video.

Are people mad because we expected him to be a major player in the plot and instead we got token black sidekick or is it somehow worse than that? It's hard for me to believe that Finn is a racist caricature, but it's easy for me to believe that he's a dude that doesn't do anything interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

Are people mad because we expected him to be a major player in the plot and instead we got token black sidekick or is it somehow worse than that? It's hard for me to believe that Finn is a racist caricature, but it's easy for me to believe that he's a dude that doesn't do anything interesting...
    I am hesitating seeing the movie because Finn was ADVERTISED in all the promotions as basically a Jedi. No other character in Star Wars (that I can remember) has been shown holding a light saber, fighting with a light saber... and then being relegated to second tier status and getting hsi ass kicked and not been a freaking force sensitive jedi type.

It was a bait and switch. JJ probably calls it a misdirection or some **** to hide the plot but come the F on. You don't advertise a bad ass and then give the audience sidekick Peeta
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Far too scary for the Star Wars (caucasian) audience. They'd either have hate induced aneurysms or they'd spend the entire time hiding behind their seats. No we get try hard and fail hard sidekick.
    Or, the alternative, he could have been a bad ass and they would have just said that the bad guy lost the fight on purpose, scarred himself on purpose, due to.... reasons?

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Ok, now I'm starting to get curious...

I mean, i'll state my bias upfront, I fell asleep during the most recent two Star Wars movies and I had no desire to see this film in the theatres. I was going to wait and maybe rent it when it came out on video.

The commercial gave us every indiction to think Finn was not only a force user, but the Luke Skywalker esq hero and central character of this cycle.

It seems NONE of this is the case (still haven't seen the movie).

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is next Monday after everybody's seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The commercial gave us every indiction to think Finn was not only a force user, but the Luke Skywalker esq hero and central character of this cycle.

It seems NONE of this is the case (still haven't seen the movie).

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is next Monday after everybody's seen it.

spoilers:
    Its going to be bad man. He's a magical negro mixed with the Falcon to her Cap in Winter Soldier mixed with Jar Jar Binks, pinning for a woman who isn't interested, gets slashed like a slave ON HIS BACK, is only holding the saber for Rey until she is ready, is a freaking garbage man and ends up in coma, that's ok because she kiss him on the fore head, LMAO.
    end of spoilers

He's a sterotypical plot device for Rey. That's it. I was livid. It's like all the racist were right.

I don't know how they thought this was a good idea. John is going to get caught in it.

And the thing is both JJ and KK injected identity politics into force awakens. They also made choices, that they need to be called out on. They focused on Gender balance, while building on racist tropes.
    SO LET THIS BE A LESSON. LEARN. YOUR. PLACE. - Prince Freeman

Still haven't seen the film but here's what someone else had to say about Finn

I'm sure some people will feel lied to that he's not a more capable hero, but he's one of if not the only character who isn't just another simple archetype. Rey is basically just Luke Skywalker, Poe is Han Solo, Kylo Ren is Vader, some other guy is the Emperor, and Han Solo is Obi Wan Kenobi. Finn is kind of a mixture between C-3PO, Luke, and Han. And he is heroic, he's just way in over his head. And it's sort of fun watching him make a brave face against all odds.

While I can understand not wanting Finn to be a Luke expy, you can still have him be a Jedi and show him as different from Luke. The fact that Finn is a Stormtrooper alone is a major difference between the two. Heck, they could have used Double 0's idea and made both him and Rey Force Users.

Maybe things could change in the next two films, maybe they won't. A part of me, irrational as it seems, still thinks it's possible for Finn to be a Force User.

Well, good thing there's Creed and the upcoming Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Maybe things could change in the next two films, maybe they won't. A part of me, irrational as it seems, still thinks it's possible for Finn to be a Force User.
    Sure, it is possible. But look at it this way...

- Imagine some black elementary kid, seeing someoen who looks like himself in the commercials with a COOL ASS SABER! You want to be him, you want to buy a saber adn fight yoru friends.

You go to the movie, and your awesome black superhero.... turns out to be useless. Get his ass kicked and is clearly inferior to the other characters. How bad would that f'ing suck?

- And, how would they even fix this next movie? They could show commercial after trailer after poster showing Finn being a bad ass in Episode 8 and... who the hell would believe them? They MDK'd any good will for a huge section of the audience. Instead of possibly dragging in a whole, underserved movie audience by making Finn at least an equal to Rey... they alienated them.

Its bullshit. If this was the plan with Finn, don't advertise him as a freaking Jedi.

BANNED

Black Twitter is going to go hard that will be more entertaining then this movie to me. Spend your money on Creed Boys watch a Real Black Hero....Coogler didnt have Apollo job out so that Rocky could run into the ring and win the fight.

That trailer argument is actually good stuff...they can tell us Finn a badass in the next one but no one is going to believe it until the movie comes out....if I hear racists whining maybe I will check it out. If not hell no.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Freeman View Post
    spoilers:
    Its going to be bad man. He's a magical negro mixed with the Falcon to her Cap in Winter Soldier mixed with Jar Jar Binks, pinning for a woman who isn't interested, gets slashed like a slave ON HIS BACK, is only holding the saber for Rey until she is ready, is a freaking garbage man and ends up in coma, that's ok because she kiss him on the fore head, LMAO.
    end of spoilers

He's a sterotypical plot device for Rey. That's it. I was livid. It's like all the racist were right.

I don't know how they thought this was a good idea. John is going to get caught in it.

And the thing is both JJ and KK injected identity politics into force awakens. They also made choices, that they need to be called out on. They focused on Gender balance, while building on racist tropes.
    Can you expand on this? Is this part of the plot or do you mean like the film has unfortunate implications?

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post

That trailer argument is actually good stuff...they can tell us Finn a badass in the next one but no one is going to believe it until the movie comes out....if I hear racists whining maybe I will check it out. If not hell no.
    They are stuck at this point. Unless the trailer goes, "No seriously guys, this time hes cool!!! It is not a trick honest! Please??!!"

BANNED

Nah if anything Freeman is insulting Falcon a bit too much. Say what you will Falcon was never marketed as the Lead and was at least reasonably effective in combat u didnt seem him losing to no name hydra grunts with Cap and Widow constantly having to save his @** none of that can be said for Finn. As I said its not as bad as Jar Jar for one reason John is not using a stereotypical accent but its worse because at least George made Jar Jar an Alien and useful even if was by total accident and never lied in the press or marketing.
    Last edited by JaggedFel; 12-17-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Can you expand on this? Is this part of the plot or do you mean like the film has unfortunate implications?
    They both made it a point during interviews, meanwhile John and Finn were attacked the entire process.

Finn isn't just like Falcon, Fel is right. But it's the same sort of relationship and the side kick treatment. if you have sons. Don't allow them to watch this bs.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Black Twitter is going to go hard that will be more entertaining then this movie to me. Spend your money on Creed Boys watch a Real Black Hero....Coogler didnt have Apollo job out so that Rocky could run into the ring and win the fight.

I can't wait. The backlash is going to be real and they deserve it.

BANNED

I still think Peeta is the better reference...I mean there is no way to account for the marketing really because I cant think of another case like this...even Khan wasnt this bad whether Cumberbatch was playing Harrison or Khan and JJ was lying or not, Cumberbatch was still playing a villain and the scenes shown in trailers werent misleading nor was the ad campaign sure the name was up in the air but the character you see in the trailers is what you get in the movie. that is not the case when it comes to Finn, JJ didnt lie about the name this time...he lied about damn near everything when it comes to this character.

Back to the movie what pisses me off so much is JJ had an easy option here...spoilers:
    have Finn beat up some riot troopers (they are facless grunts who cares if they go down) and then have him fight phasma. Instead we have Finn lose to no name stromtrooper then somehow later on land a hit on Kylo? Injured or not I fail to see how a character who cant beat a frakking grunt can land a blow on Skywalker Dark Sider. Also Phasma gets captured an embarrassing fashion later on anyway so why not use her here instead. We got Chrsitie and we dont see her fight once? Like WTF JJ?
    end of spoilers

Oh once again I like to apologize to China. They warned us and we didnt listen.

And can we get whoever made the KOTOR Cinematics in Charge sheesh at least they delivered on shadowy force coming out of nowhere to sack the Republic. Instead we get a soft reboot where the Heroes of the OT didnt make things better at best its the same or worse with total failure across the board.
    Last edited by JaggedFel; 12-17-2015 at 03:07 PM.