Quote Originally Posted by Victor Freeman View Post
    I bet you love crap like that. You are projecting if you think I want a sue. There was a sue already in the movie. We had a character similar to Han in Lando. It's funny how the same folks hated the ideal of what was shown in the trailers. They are perfectly fine with the ONLY main character EVER in SW losing to a stormtrooper. You have to wonder why.
    LOL Who even keeps track of this stuff ? He was a stormtrooper himself two minutes earlier in the movie and he lost against a higher ranked one. Again this is going to be a trilogy and this is just the beginning for his character.

Also, is he a main character or a sidekick / comic relief ? You're contradicting yourself here.

It's funny how black actors are always cast in the same role.
    Second lead in a major franchise ? Yeah, that happens so often.

He's nothing like Han btw. That would be Rey, who manages to have it all, Luke and Han stuff. Dude can't even fly.
    Personality wise he isn't, but their arcs are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    LOL Who even keeps track of this stuff ? He was a stormtrooper himself two minutes earlier in the movie and he lost against a higher ranked one. Again this is going to be a trilogy and this is just the beginning for his character.

Also, is he a main character or a sidekick / comic relief ? You're contradicting yourself here.

Second lead in a major franchise ? Yeah, that happens so often.

Personality wise he isn't, but their arcs are similar.
    Him an Han Solo aren't really all that similar when you really think about it. They both start off as cowards looking to run from something, but that something is majorly different. One made his choices, while one wasn't really give a choice when you think about morality coming into play. Their backgrounds, their upbringings and the circumstances that they carry into this part of their stories are two worlds apart.

Now whether you think Han or Finn is the stronger character is up to interpretation, but one looked so much better when it mattered.

In 2019, those defending Finn may ultimately be right. However, in 2015... Finn kind of sucks.

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

Y'all, lets not fight like this. Especially if we're fam. Some folk like Finn as is and some folk don't.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You know what we all know this. It's not about anyone who just went to see a Star Wars film. If that is what they wanted that is perfectly fine.

There is no social or political agenda to this-it comes down to why is there a constant issue with black males in these movies being sidekicks, jokes, stereotypes and so on?

And when someone tries to create a different black male there is a line down the street of folks who have issue with it. And many do everything in their power to fight it.

And when smart mouth trolls say "why don't you create your own stuff instead of complaining" Guess who wants to stand in the way? As many black indy comic creators will tell you.

And that movie makes way more than what Force Awakens is bringing in now.

Because black women would go out of their way to make it number one because your star is a black girl who kicks behind.A strong black female that takes on the bad guy and beat him?

Don't let her be a real DARK black female? All those troupe you pointed out would be ignored because this would have been the first major black female as the heroine science fiction film.

As for Finn...he would represent what a lot black women view of black males. Weak losers that need a black women to save him. They would LOVE it as it shows a castration of black male of the HIGHEST order.

And as for the "if you don't like Rey-you are sexist." That would be WORST if she was black. It might get you KILLED in some communities.
    Well, this is what certain peeps we're worried about. People using Finn to fulfill their own problematic and sexist agendas. Take your own insecurities out of this discussion, dawg. Lucasarts has provided more than enough material for you to not attack Rey (she's a completely different discussion in my eyes), or other women.

Quote Originally Posted by AgPhoenix View Post
    Personally, I think there IS a middle ground on Finn. That being said, the middle ground does require patience, and that's something a lot of people are not going to have considering the late marketing for this movie. Like I said in my last post, Finn has major issues, and they don't go away because this is supposed to be Star Wars, or a set of three movies.

spoilers:
    (His incompetency is a major problem. We're talking Usagi in the first series of Sailor Moon '92 if she didn't win a single battle in all honestly.)
    end of spoilers

That being said, his character development was the best part of the Force Awakens. The fact that he doesn't fit one of the Original Trilogy archetypes literally saves this movie from being another Into Darkness.

The way I see it, one the hugest gambles in cinema history is being taken on Finn fulfilling his potential. Forget about anything that's in his way narratively, those aren't his biggest opponents. His biggest opponents are history, the unawareness of white creators, and the pandering to said beliefs of the assholes who are celebrating Finn's failures.
    I wouldn't even be this angry had they just advertised him for who he was. We'll see how the next two movies develop him and if he can become a decent character in his own right. He won't be a Luke or Han but he'll be himself. I'm almost certain that I'll enjoy more in the second movie but that's because my expectations for the character are so abysmally low. Hopefully his potential actually amounts to something.
    Last edited by ZeonsSilverStar; 12-20-2015 at 09:00 AM.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    What was advertised was a force sensitive jedi character. People got excited bc that simply doesnt happen in sw.

Then he lost to a storm trooper. Seriously... screw all the other crap which i dint care about. He lost to henchmen.

How many avengers got beaten my chitauri? By ultron drones? Hydra goons?

The advertising is insulting

Last I checked Sam got steam rolled in Winter Soldier and nobody blinked especially now that he's "kicking all kinds of ass" in the Civil War trailer. Fin held his own against TWO guys who have more training then him especially since said trooper took to their kill programming since birth and used a weapon like a pro despite never using it/knowing what it is just like Luke in Episode 4. It's the start of his story yet folks wanted him kicking down **** like we're at episode 9 already which was never going to happen

Yeah Fin's so useless the end of the movie could have went on without him......oh wait no it couldn't
    Last edited by Smoov-E; 12-20-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Last I checked Adam got steam rolled in Winter Soldier and nobody blinked especially now that he's "kicking all kinds of ass" in the Civil War trailer. Fin held his own against TWO guys who have more training then him especially since said trooper took to their kill programming since birth and used a weapon like a pro despite never using it/knowing what it is just like Luke in Episode 4. It's the start of his story yet folks wanted him kicking down **** like we're at episode 9 already which was never going to happen

Yeah Fin's so useless the end of the movie could have went on without him......oh wait no it couldn't
    And yet, the solution to Finn's major issue is so simple.

spoilers:
    Have Finn just destroy mad Stormtroopers with the Light Saber, including waxing the hell out of Tonfa Dude. Let Captain Pharsma getting the better of him, or let her have him make a choice as a bunch of Tie Fighters aim their guns directly at civilians, or have a combination of both to get him to surrender.
    end of spoilers

You could let the rest of the movie play out the way it did, and still given Finn his badass moment. I mean, this is an action movie that's supposed to even give the most incompetent of characters *coughLukeIbecomebadassinthebooksSkywalkercough* their crowning moment of glory.

This being episode 7 sure as hell didn't stop Rey from being John Cena. The trilogy rationalization only goes so far.

Invincible Member

Can someone explain the significance of the jacket for me? Does Finn maybe give it to Rey and this is where the shipping is coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Can someone explain the significance of the jacket for me? Does Finn maybe give it to Rey and this is where the shipping is coming from?
    The jacket belonged to Poe. Finn found it after they crashed on Jakku.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AgPhoenix View Post
    And yet, the solution to Finn's major issue is so simple.

spoilers:
    Have Finn just destroy mad Stormtroopers with the Light Saber, including waxing the hell out of Tonfa Dude. Let Captain Pharsma getting the better of him, or let her have him make a choice as a bunch of Tie Fighters aim their guns directly at civilians, or have a combination of both to get him to surrender.
    end of spoilers

You could let the rest of the movie play out the way it did, and still given Finn his badass moment. I mean, this is an action movie that's supposed to even give the most incompetent of characters *coughLukeIbecomebadassinthebooksSkywalkercough* their crowning moment of glory.

This being episode 7 sure as hell didn't stop Rey from being John Cena. The trilogy rationalization only goes so far.

He had a couple bad ass moments that for some reason folks don't want to count because "reasons"

spoilers:
    Imo sneaking up like a ninja and running a lightsaber through a Stormtrooper is bad ass
    end of spoilers

We never see him give it to her but she shows up in a scene wearing it

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    He had a couple bad ass moments that for some reason folks don't want to count because "reasons"

spoilers:
    Imo sneaking up like a ninja and running a lightsaber through a Stormtrooper is bad ass
    end of spoilers
    It sure as hell didn't play out that way from my vantage point. Seemed like an inexperienced wielder getting lucky on an idiot.

Ok and the actors aren't helping by hamming it up. LOL
    http://powergirl.tumblr.com/post/135...icjuan-lupitas

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    The jacket belonged to Poe. Finn found it after they crashed on Jakku.
    We never see him give it to her but she shows up in a scene wearing it
    Thanks! I was trying to find other opinions of Finn without reading stuff that was too spoilery and I started seeing what Macegirl mentioned earlier with some folks saying that Rey and Finn are a couple because of some jacket and I was like "Hmm..."

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Ok and the actors aren't helping by hamming it up. LOL
    http://powergirl.tumblr.com/post/135...icjuan-lupitas
    That's actually kind of interesting. If they actors are playing it that way, it makes me think there was talk about who characters are and what their motivations might beyond what's on screen

That's actually kind of interesting. If they actors are playing it that way, it makes me think there was talk about who characters are and what their motivations might beyond what's on screen
    The odds are pretty high that they were just joking though.