Page 151 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 511011411471481491501511521531541551612012516511151 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 35047
    Currently MagSeven

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I just wanted to add that Storm hit nearly every trope in "How NOT to Write about Africa" in only four pages.
    Can you elaborate a bit on that?

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Just saw this on a thread at r/comicbooks
    http://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/c...xpost_rmarvel/

Absolutely we need multicultural super heroes. But I want original superheroes not a rehash of em. That's why I never got into miles morales. Static shock was the closest to a superhero that I could connect with. But even that relationship wasn't strong enough for me to nurture.

The same can be said about black panther. For whatever reason his story never meshed with me. The writers tried so hard to make wakanda an alien country and culture that they didn't even try to humanize the characters. Of course I can only speak for the few issues that I've read, but it's typical of writers trying to expound on something outside their bubble. Older power man issues are very prevalent of that awkward voice.

But shoot, I guess I could give donald glover Spidey a shot
    One question: How is it that Wakanda is an "alien country"?

I mean, I've never understood this mindset. A kingdom which resists colonialism is alien and needs to be "humanized"? I dunno, I guess I never read comics to see a reflection of myself but that's because my life isn't all that interesting. Seeing worlds radically different from my own though? Great.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    No we must not, I will give a book two issues (I dont care what color the writer or artist is), thats about 7 bucks to impress me, if I am not impressed, sorry Charlie
    I'm confused? Your post sounds (in tone) like you aren't agreeing with me, but in what you write you are??? All I ask is everyone give the first issue a chance (which you will be doing). If you don't like it, don't get issue #2, no-one is saying otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    and its Ghost RIDER, not Ghost Sit in the Car or Ghost Cruiser
    GHOST RIDER...that means flaming motorcycle, hell, id even accept one of those tuned up scooters that are all the rage now
    Oh come on, you know that's an exaggeration. Would a scooter really be better? And why does the car/bike matter. You can "get a ride" in a car. Seems to fit; and the art's beautiful. I'm even liking Mr. Hyde (though, as a massive Timebolts fan, sad to see him back to full villain with no 'through line' to explain the transition).

Street racing is certainly more relevant to modern culture than stunt motorcycling.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

I wish people would just stop with the "why don't they just create new characters" stuff....You know damn well why they don't create new characters: because people don't support them and when said character isn't a straight white male a lot of people tend to be outright hostile towards them.

BANNED

im fine with new characters, ill support them if I enjoy them

there is a minor Spider-Man "villain" that's a new character

Screwball...she's basically a petty thief who records her crimes and streams them on the internet while running from the authorities

I like the concept and the fact that is a woman is even better

Even new straight white male characters will find it hard to survive in todays market.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I wish people would just stop with the "why don't they just create new characters" stuff....You know damn well why they don't create new characters: because people don't support them and when said character isn't a straight white male a lot of people tend to be outright hostile towards them.
    But but but *insert exception* proves you can!

(I mean seriously, even Ms. Marvel, who pretty has nothing to do with Carol, is still a legacy hero.)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Just saw this on a thread at r/comicbooks
    http://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/c...xpost_rmarvel/

One question: How is it that Wakanda is an "alien country"?

I mean, I've never understood this mindset. A kingdom which resists colonialism is alien and needs to be "humanized"? I dunno, I guess I never read comics to see a reflection of myself but that's because my life isn't all that interesting. Seeing worlds radically different from my own though? Great.
    I guess it has to do with the fact that some fans can suspend their disbelief to places like asgard, attilan, atlantis, the negative zone, and even cosmic aspects like eternity, but a small, technologicly advanced african nation, what africa would have become without colonialism, is too far of a stretch.

EDIT: Fans do have a hard time supporting new characters, and the legacy ones are seen as some sort of betrayal, the fact that Carol Danvers isn't dead or missing is probably part of why Kamala has gotten so much love. I don't think anyone has said "She's not MY ms. marvel!" Like they did with the flash, green lantern, nova, and supergirl.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 06-27-2014 at 11:07 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I guess it has to do with the fact that some fans can suspend their disbelief to places like asgard, attilan, atlantis, the negative zone, and even cosmic aspects like eternity, but a small, technologicly advanced african nation, what africa would have become without colonialism, is too far of a stretch.
    Exactly..most fans (white fans) and the white American public in general can't fathom a technologically advanced nation of BLACK people because they've been conditioned to think that black people are 'less than'

its not malicious, mind you, more of a latent disconnect

which is why I don't expect a Black Panther film to ever gain any traction, suits just 'won't get' Wakanda as a concept
    Last edited by Vibranium; 06-27-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit on that?
    Use the below video to see how many tropes the preview touches up on. Hopefully the book doesn't complete the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-jSQD5FVxE

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    Couple that with the fact that if some guy WERE to create the next Spider Man for the big 2 THEY WOULD OWN IT.

Creating new characters under those circumstances is a suckers game.

It's like everybody forgot what the point of Image originally was.

You are going to see variation on existing themes until things get more equitable, rights wise.

Currently MagSeven

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Use the below video to see how many tropes the preview touches up on. Hopefully the book doesn't complete the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-jSQD5FVxE
    Thanks! Enlightening vid.

Apparently, I made a mistake; Storm isn't in Africa in that preview. I guess she's in the Caribbean.

Which, uh, is kinda odd since the guys she's fighting look like "stock African terrorist/rebel #19999000". Unless Major Lazer (the character, not the group) decided to try to conquer the Caribbean, that's even more suspect.

EDIT: And I forgot a pic.

Last edited by Double 0; 06-27-2014 at 11:56 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Exactly. I was worried about it, people said Pak would be different, and so far, he's not.
    I remember folks saying that and I didn't believe a word of it

I don't feel bad for not supporting her book

I feel awesome for supporting a Midnight Tiger