Looks like there is a TV show of the warriors coming...and it follows the movie. The movie whitewashed the book to a massive extent that the main character's name, swan, was done to show how white he was. I'm not kidding about that. In the novel, the character was Latino and named Hector.

The book and movie were both based loosely off the anabasis by Xenephon, but the book was more of a deconstruction while the movie adapted it more

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    I've been thinking about how authentic Jewish food isn't really a big thing. I've been considering going to culinary school then starting a restaurant to bring authentic Jewish food to more people. I want to share the culture. Jewish food comes from all over the world due to the fact that Jewish communities exist all over and made amazing dishes. Take the Sabich for example. Made by Iraqi Jews as a meal to eat on the Sabbath, its become known as the Israeli sandwich after Iraqi Jews brought it there. Then there is stuff like Holishkes ( also a Tartar dish and as Jew of Tartar descent, that's both my ancestries!), Farfel, Kugel, Cholent, The knish, Jachnun,Shlishkes, Gondi dumplings, and more. I really want to share Jewish culture and food. ANd not just the Ashkenazi foods, but all jewish foods
    That sounds like a good idea, food and sports are two great unifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    That sounds like a good idea, food and sports are two great unifiers.
    Indeed. I feel its my way of helping other understand Judaism and its diversity

I've been thinking about how authentic Jewish food isn't really a big thing. I've been considering going to culinary school then starting a restaurant to bring authentic Jewish food to more people. I want to share the culture. Jewish food comes from all over the world due to the fact that Jewish communities exist all over and made amazing dishes. Take the Sabich for example. Made by Iraqi Jews as a meal to eat on the Sabbath, its become known as the Israeli sandwich after Iraqi Jews brought it there. Then there is stuff like Holishkes ( also a Tartar dish and as Jew of Tartar descent, that's both my ancestries!), Farfel, Kugel, Cholent, The knish, Jachnun,Shlishkes, Gondi dumplings, and more. I really want to share Jewish culture and food. ANd not just the Ashkenazi foods, but all jewish foods
    That would be cool. My step-mother-in-law in Jewish and for her daughter's Bat Mitzvah they had all sorts of great stuff to eat. My uncle's brother also owns an Iranian restaurant that has alot of stuff I like too.

Invincible Member

Looks like there is a TV show of the warriors coming...and it follows the movie. The movie whitewashed the book to a massive extent that the main character's name, swan, was done to show how white he was. I'm not kidding about that. In the novel, the character was Latino and named Hector.

The book and movie were both based loosely off the anabasis by Xenephon, but the book was more of a deconstruction while the movie adapted it more
    It been a long time since I've seen the movie and although I remember liking it, what I recall was in no way a realistic portrayal of street gangs. Nor do I think it was ever intended to be. So I'm both apprehensive and curious about what exactly the premise of the TV show will be...if they go for realism, then a white guy isn't going to be the leader of an intergrated street gang. On the other hand if they go with the comic book vibe of the film, it'd just be fights with other gangs each week?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    f they go with the comic book vibe of the film, it'd just be fights with other gangs each week?
    And one would have a green mohawk.

BANNED

It been a long time since I've seen the movie and although I remember liking it, what I recall was in no way a realistic portrayal of street gangs. Nor do I think it was ever intended to be. So I'm both apprehensive and curious about what exactly the premise of the TV show will be...if they go for realism, then a white guy isn't going to be the leader of an intergrated street gang. On the other hand if they go with the comic book vibe of the film, it'd just be fights with other gangs each week?

If they go comic book with it I wanna see a hipster gang get their ass beat

Also I'm loving that folks got their wish with Miles/Kamala/Sam aren't on the Avengers anymore but The Champions is a name they can't use that either, folks really can't come out and say "I just don't want them published in anything"

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post

Also I'm loving that folks got their wish with Miles/Kamala/Sam aren't on the Avengers anymore but The Champions is a name they can't use that either, folks really can't come out and say "I just don't want them published in anything"
    Will the title be called "The Champions" or will it be something else and they just call the team Champions on the inside, like the Shazam/Capt Marvel situation at DC?

What the legal issues with the champions?

I remembered that the warriors prided themselves on they're physical fighting skills. I think they might have used knives, chains, and bats, but I don't remember a gun being used in the movie, I wonder how they'd tackle gun violence.

They're just going to have to accept that miles, kamala, and sam are the new normal now, and if they can't they can just move on.

BANNED

Will the title be called "The Champions" or will it be something else and they just call the team Champions on the inside, like the Shazam/Capt Marvel situation at DC?

It's just The Champions

I'm a huge Warriors movie fan and didn't know of the book tho, so right on. I'm not sure that I feel that the movie is massively whitewashed..plenty whitewashed, yea. The lead guy, the baseball furys and the make up of a couple of the gangs were more white than I imagined they were back in early 1970's New York. The movie does have a lot of minority characters in it, mostly black but only a few Puero Rican's, still my only hang up is the landscape of New York from the period that predicated a damn near warlord type of society is a massive slight on one of the top cities on the planet. The reason New York looks like it does now is because of the rampant mismanagement, massive law enforcement corruption and bombed out landscape that New York became in the late 1960's, same local that started Hip-Hop.

If it is done, discarded young adults beating the **** out of each over turf other isn't much of a serialized show, even for Netflix. An interesting concept for sure however I think the property has become dated fare, in not a good retro way, as in a reflection of how bad things got.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Invincible Member

What the legal issues with the champions?
    Some years ago Marvel was going to do a new Matt Fraction comic called The Champions using the name of a super team from the 70's. The courts said that Marvel no longer controlled the trademark because they hadn't published the title for decades and a gaming company was currently using "The Champions" for their superhero product. The Fraction comic ended up being named The Order.

Invincible Member

It's just The Champions
    Oh, ok. I guess the got the rights secured again

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I remembered that the warriors prided themselves on they're physical fighting skills. I think they might have used knives, chains, and bats, but I don't remember a gun being used in the movie, I wonder how they'd tackle gun violence.

They're just going to have to accept that miles, kamala, and sam are the new normal now, and if they can't they can just move on.
    Hell, Marvel announces white characters in new books, some fans will their sh*t if the comic is too lighthearted.