Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Let's remember that the original reason we started playing the National Anthem before ballgames was to encourage people to buy War Bonds during World War II. Then after the War, it was to prove that we weren't godless communists. So there has never been much nobility behind the sentiment.
    Its almost like its a hazing ritual now or something. And white people are doing the hazing
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yeah, exactly this. That is why I was asking because I just don't get how the reaction has been so extreme. Its ghostbusters for goodness sakes.

But then again, I don't understand why people react so... violently to innocuous things these days.
    Exactly. But thats why you are normal and they arent. I feel like these people at the least have control issues.
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I absolutely feel that way too. Some of this stuff is just people who feel minorities have it too good looking for an excuse to yell about something.

Like that person who made the "Cast a white Black Panther" petition to try and make some idiotic point about racebending.
    Thing is, if someone really wanted to talk about changing morals in comics, or liberalism, or actual politics they could use solid examples from various stories over the years. But instead, some folks would rather pretend that teen girl sidekicks and other tropes are due to the "regressive left"

Ultimate Member

I absolutely feel that way too. Some of this stuff is just people who feel minorities have it too good looking for an excuse to yell about something.
    Thing is, if someone really wanted to talk about changing morals in comics, or liberalism, or actual politics they could use solid examples from various stories over the years.
    All that requires RESEARCH.

And they don't want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Gwunners?

Man.....

Even Gen 1 felt the need to mix it up. That was kind
    of the whole point of Rodimus Prime.

I never actually got to see Beast Wars but i know how well liked it was.

Transformers and GI Joe have to reinvent themselves to a new generation of kids all the time.

I just don't get it either.
    Beast Wars = Best transformers show, hands down. Especially from the end of season 1 onward.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I think you have a point about the "ruined my childhood" folks. They get really worked up over small things. I first encountered these types among the transformers fandom. There are "Gwunners" who think that everything after the 84' series sucked.
    Damn, so that what that feels like huh? I'm a Lieutenant OG 2nd class in the G1 army, the way Michael Bay's pissed on the Transformers is youth destroying enough for 2 franchises. Bitching Ghostbuster fan got nuthin on me.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Beast Wars = Best transformers show, hands down. Especially from the end of season 1 onward.
    Animated and Prime were pretty awesome in their own right as well .

I liked Prime and Animated too. Beast Wars I've recently started watching. I like it, though the effects haven't aged well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Gwunners?

Man.....

Even Gen 1 felt the need to mix it up. That was kind
    of the whole point of Rodimus Prime.

I never actually got to see Beast Wars but i know how well liked it was.

Transformers and GI Joe have to reinvent themselves to a new generation of kids all the time.

I just don't get it either.
    Folk love to nostalgia trip. Even beast wars wasn't well received at first, people got mad about Optimus Primal's alt mode. "Optimus Prime is supposed to turn into a truck, not a stupid monkey."

A lot of people think of Windblade as SJWs invading the franchise, even though she was created by the fans. Personally I think she's what happens when a generation of transformers fans also grow up watching gundam wing. She's an autobot with a jet alt mode and her face looks like kabuki makeup (which I am surprised no one found offensive), she's also rocking the samurai thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Damn, so that what that feels like huh? I'm a Lieutenant OG 2nd class in the G1 army, the way Michael Bay's pissed on the Transformers is youth destroying enough for 2 franchises. Bitching Ghostbuster fan got nuthin on me.
    To me, the only transformers movie that's relatively watchable is the third one. The other three, blahh. IDW does a good job with the comics though. MTMTE is amazing.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 08-31-2016 at 06:41 AM.

While we're talking about Transformers, I have to ask, is Bay's Optimus Prime really that awful a person? I admit there a lot of problems with the films but Bay's Optimus doesn't seem like the biggest one to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    While we're talking about Transformers, I have to ask, is Bay's Optimus Prime really that awful a person? I admit there a lot of problems with the films but Bay's Optimus doesn't seem like the biggest one to me.
    When you have Optimus Prime constantly talking about killing and slicing people up (or Give Me Your Face), even if they are bad guys, I think you've gotten the character wrong to some degree.

I mean, half of his lines in Age of Extinction were just variations of "I'll kill you!," and he's pretty brutal in general in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    When you have Optimus Prime constantly talking about killing and slicing people up (or Give Me Your Face), even if they are bad guys, I think you've gotten the character wrong to some degree.

I mean, half of his lines in Age of Extinction were just variations of "I'll kill you!," and he's pretty brutal in general in the movies.
    Age of Extinction saw his race almost getting wiped out by the people he's spent years serving and protecting. As for the brutality, that's to be expected when you're dealing with enemies as tough as the Decepticons.

"Give me your face" was a dumb line though.

eh... i understand his "arc"

he went from

Ironhide: Why are we fighting to save the humans? They're a primitive and violent race.
    Optimus Prime: Were we so different? They're a young species. They have much to learn. But I've seen goodness in them. Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. You all know there's only one way to end this war: we must destroy the Cube. If all else fails, I will unite it with the spark in my chest.

to

Cade Yeager: When you said you were done fighting for humans, you didn't mean that, did you?
    Optimus Prime: How many more of my kind must be sacrificed, to atone for YOUR mistakes?

I don't blame him... humans are dicks lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Age of Extinction saw his race almost getting wiped out by the people he's spent years serving and protecting. As for the brutality, that's to be expected when you're dealing with enemies as tough as the Decepticons.

"Give me your face" was a dumb line though.
    Well, the Great War almost wiped out his entire race and destroyed his planet, but he still held onto his values and ideals. And that was Cybertronian killing Cybertronian.

It's not just the brutality, but the fact that he seems to almost enjoy the killing part and can't stop talking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    eh... i understand his "arc"

he went from

Ironhide: Why are we fighting to save the humans? They're a primitive and violent race.
    Optimus Prime: Were we so different? They're a young species. They have much to learn. But I've seen goodness in them. Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. You all know there's only one way to end this war: we must destroy the Cube. If all else fails, I will unite it with the spark in my chest.

to

Cade Yeager: When you said you were done fighting for humans, you didn't mean that, did you?
    Optimus Prime: How many more of my kind must be sacrificed, to atone for YOUR mistakes?

I don't blame him... humans are dicks lol
    I can see the arc, and understand that humans are a bunch of A-holes, but it's still jarring seeing Optimus Prime's characterization go from the first movie to the 'Bot in the AoE who seems to have dropped any pretense of being noble and heroic.

I won't pretend to know Optimus characterization in the comics or cartoons. I remember him being cool in the cartoons and that is just about it lol.

But, if I am remembering this over long movies correctly

1. He wants to save humanity and learns humanity is the one holding onto his Spark thing. Tries to sacrifice himself to save them. In this movie I believe they take one of his autbot buddies by force as well.

2. Dies protecting Sam, comes back to kick ass.

3. Humans start acting like dicks and tell them to GTFO of earth.

4. Humans start outright killing his friends and last remaining ppeople of his race.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html