Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    It's called government census. I'm not making this up
    The government and their classification of race confuses me a lot of the time. I know Black and White Hispanics exist, Asian and Native American ones too but the vast majority are Mestizo/Mulatto (Your Eva Longoria, Jay Hernandez, Jennifer Lopez, Gina Rodriguez, Prince Royce types). So it seems odd to just lump everyone of mixed descent into the White category just because.

I used to frequent anthropology forums a while back and I know Hispanics and race were a huge hot topic. The US census created a ton of controversy with regards to race and ethnicity. I wonder if that'll be fixed with the 2020 Census.

As for Shades, he's clearly multi-racial, like El Diablo and Robbie Reyes.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

Arabs count as White as well and yet get very little of the white passing benefit.

ABLE-BODIED ACTORS AND DISABILITY DRAG: WHY DISABLED ROLES ARE ONLY FOR DISABLED PERFORMERS

http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and...led-performers

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage;2328974[B
    ]Arabs count as White as well[/B] and yet get very little of the white passing benefit.
    Wait, they do? Seriously, this is news to me.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    He was on the West Coast Avengers. He's never been a member of GLA, but he was first revealed to be gay in their mini series. It is true that he's a minor character that spends most of his time in 'comic book limbo', though. I can't recall the last time I saw him in a book...
    That's right. I thought he was in Great Lakes Avengers because that's how they outed him, he thought "GLA" stood for Gay and Lesbian Alliance instead of Great Lakes Avengers. And aside from that one-off joke I don't think his sexuality has ever been referenced again.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

One of the several reasons why I enjoy LUKE CAGE. I also love the line "Black fear. After abolition, it's how gun laws got enacted in the first place."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    ABLE-BODIED ACTORS AND DISABILITY DRAG: WHY DISABLED ROLES ARE ONLY FOR DISABLED PERFORMERS

http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and...led-performers

Wait, they do? Seriously, this is news to me.
    Ugh yeah that happens a lot.

YEP.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Arabs count as White as well and yet get very little of the white passing benefit.
    They got plenty of that benefit until 9/11. They can still get it today unless they out Muslims among Islamphobes or are among trump supporter types.
    Last edited by Yaw; 10-04-2016 at 05:14 AM.

Incredible Member

Hispanic just means someone from a Spanish-speaking country. Black Hispanics still face the same institutional racism in the United States and other countries. The whole fear of some people that Latinos will takeover the "white" population is misplaced because many of those Latinos have been designated as white or tried to be designated as white for benefits or protection. This does not mean that "all" fit. Darker complexion and lack of English skills can lead to less benefits but many Latinos/Hispanics have been "white" for CENTURIES.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Uh uh you haven't been to nyc obviously. It's not that simple.
    You are not gonna find all that many dark skinned Hispanics here who will ever identify as Black.

Not that many will identify as White either, to be fair. Unless we are talking about continental Spaniards.

And the forms I work here with have Black(non-Hispanic), White (non-Hispanic), Hispanic and "Other(mixed/multi ethic)" to reflect that.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 10-04-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Have fun riding the Netflix train again.
    Maannn, you left out that the Netflix train ain't got no brakes. I mean just the kids stuff alone I'm just scrolling and scrolling... I'm in a lil' bit of awe. I also hear Daredevil S1 is pretty hot so... I wonder is there a Black content tab to browse Netflix by cause there should be.

Anyway, Simone Missick is FINE, I've never seen her in anything before. How great is it that both her and Colter are of some younger middle age too. I'm near through episode 1 but if she gets a metal arm at the end of this thing I may have a dork episode.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Maannn, you left out that the Netflix train ain't got no brakes. I mean just the kids stuff alone I'm just scrolling and scrolling... I'm in a lil' bit of awe. I also hear Daredevil S1 is pretty hot so... I wonder is there a Black content tab to browse Netflix by cause there should be.

Anyway, Simone Missick is FINE, I've never seen her in anything before. How great is it that both her and Colter are of some younger middle age too. I'm near through episode 1 but if she gets a metal arm at the end of this thing I may have a dork episode.
    I only have Netflix for the kiddos and Marvel shows.

I've pretty much watched any movie I care abotu on there long ago. And they don't seem to add many movies anymore... its almost a pure TV type of thing.

And I generally hate TV shows, except the Marvel ones. Mostly a movie guy.

But the kid shows.... so much cheaper than getting cable and then upgrading 2 packages just to get Disney Jr and Nick Jr
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

Yeah, I scroll more than watch too. I think the old power rangers and beetleborgs are still on there, if only they had Masked Rider. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I only have Netflix for the kiddos and Marvel shows.

I've pretty much watched any movie I care abotu on there long ago. And they don't seem to add many movies anymore... its almost a pure TV type of thing.

And I generally hate TV shows, except the Marvel ones. Mostly a movie guy.

But the kid shows.... so much cheaper than getting cable and then upgrading 2 packages just to get Disney Jr and Nick Jr
    For a company called Net"flix" they certainly do have a lot of TV shows, and most of them are old shows too, if you want current ones you'd have to get hulu plus. I use it for the Marvel shows, Transformers, and the occasional twilight zone episode. Yahoo view and crunchyroll are for anime. I have to catch up on One Piece and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Did anyone else get a big smile on his face when he said that?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Yeah, I scroll more than watch too. I think the old power rangers and beetleborgs are still on there, if only they had Masked Rider. Ah well.
    They have every season of Power Rangers on Netflix. No Masked Rider.

No Kamen Rider Dragon Knight either.