BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    My white mother in law loves loves loves her some Madea

As do my white coworkers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    To be fair, Birth of a Nation hasn't opened overseas yet (Not saying it'll solve everything, it's really doubtful at this point). That 92 million for Deepwater includes worldwide sales.

And honestly, the chances of a Nat Turner film to be a box office success right off the gate were slim imho, considering that it's an indie film, a slave film, and a slave revolt film in particular, with no white savior either.

Lastly, Birth of a Nation opened better than 12 years a Slave, which cost 22mil. 12 years a Slave wasn't considered a flop. Selma opened to 11mil, yet cost 20mil to make. Wasn't considered a flop either.
    Fox got BOAN for Oscar buzz it was suppose to be the film that countered OSCARSOWHITE.

Any profit for this film even with the Nate Parker issues-falls on rentals, special edition dvds, school & library sales.

Deep Water bombing is different-it will not hurt or be used to take money out of anyone in that cast or crew's pocket.

Nate Parker can't say the same.

Those complainers are just going to have to accept that Black folk for the most part want escapism in their entertainment. Being reminded about a failed slave rebellion doesn't qualify.

And once again, Perry's very good at reaching that underserved demo of churchy rural folks.

Without going full on "The Rapture part 5: Suck It You Nonbelievers" about it either I might add.
    I don't think folks are really mad at Tyler.

It's a frustration of this is all we keep getting and black folks can make every excuse on the planet to not support anything that tries to go above the normal black troupe. That is not limited to BOAN, that includes Dope, Dear White People, Queen of Katwe, Moonlight, Creed, Black Panther, Craig Robinson's last movie and so many other films.

Tyler nor Tim Story nor Ava, Ryan or the rest are the issue. It's the audience. You want better-support Tyler and everyone else. If Tyler is given a free pass for his flaws-so should everybody else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Fox got BOAN for Oscar buzz it was suppose to be the film that countered OSCARSOWHITE.

Any profit for this film even with the Nate Parker issues-falls on rentals, special edition dvds, school & library sales.

Deep Water bombing is different-it will not hurt or be used to take money out of anyone in that cast or crew's pocket.

It's a frustration of this is all we keep getting and black folks can make every excuse on the planet to not support anything that tries to go above the normal black troupe. That is not limited to BOAN, that includes Dope, Dear White People, Queen of Katwe, Moonlight, Creed, Black Panther, Craig Robinson's last movie and so many other films.

Tyler nor Tim Story nor Ava, Ryan or the rest are the issue. It's the audience. You want better-support Tyler and everyone else. If Tyler is given a free pass for his flaws-so should everybody else.

Tyler isn't given a free pass, he just happened to get that middle aged to elderly church market and teen to elderly female market

A one two punch market that gets over looked, hell my Facebook timeline is filled with "woke" memes saying "black folks will ignore the empowering BOAN in favor of emasculating Madea" and I called that hotep mess happening early sunday

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

We ran out to see Creed. And the Fast and Furious flicks. And Medea. And every other Kevin Hart flick.

I am beginning to think that what is really irking these critics is that they can't annoint a Black Kevin Smith or Black Quentin Tarantino based on thier praise alone.

The Black Nerds can try to annoint Dope but nobody round the way will see it because nobody they know is in it.

The Nationalists will try to annoint BOAN and not get anywhere either. For the reasons I stated above.

And all the stuff that caters to Black women whether it is trashy like Perfect Guy or churchy like the War Room is going to get ignored by both sorts of writers since its not what they wantvto see and those flicks keep making money despite them.

So while the situation isn't ideal anybody who tries sounding the alarm at this point in time needs some damn perspective.

*Sigh* You know I like Supergirl, but boy did they drop the ball with the recent episode regarding immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Tyler isn't given a free pass, he just happened to get that middle aged to elderly church market and teen to elderly female market

A one two punch market that gets over looked, hell my Facebook timeline is filled with "woke" memes saying "black folks will ignore the empowering BOAN in favor of emasculating Madea" and I called that hotep mess happening early sunday
    See... I don't find a failed slave revolt empowering, at all frankly.

and I know for me... It made me interested in the story for sure... but in a sense that I will eventually go to the library and try and find actual history books on teh subject. Which unfortunately kinda suck since there is a big mix of "legend" and "truth" in the story.

Then again, I didn't go see 12 year a slave either. I'm slaved out TBH.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    We ran out to see Creed. And the Fast and Furious flicks. And Medea. And every other Kevin Hart flick.
    and don't forget Straight Outta Compton

I don't want to be "woke" at the movies. I want to be entertained.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

and don't forget Straight Outta Compton

I don't want to be "woke" at the movies. I want to be entertained.
    Tbf, it's possible for both to happen at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Tbf, it's possible for both to happen at the same time.
    Indeed.......

Then again, I didn't go see 12 year a slave either. I'm slaved out TBH.
    Slaved......out. lol..
    You have seen it tho right, I mean I'll never look at Magneto the same way.

I can't recall the last good black time at the movies that uplifted- even a little and entertained.
    I mean I like superpowers so I feel Civil War kind of counts. The Best Man maybe, the first one...

Thing about Madea is that there was a question on a Collider show not long ago and it was right that back when we were young there were comedies that the whole family went to. Nowadays it's all computer animation movies and there are just enough jokes that go over the kids heads that might keep you awake or Judd Apatow movies where there are 500 f bombs. There has to be an element of the public that will take their family to his movies on some level as entertainment for everybody. Cause honestly their ain't that many church goin' folks left in this country.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Invincible Member

*Sigh* You know I like Supergirl, but boy did they drop the ball with the recent episode regarding immigration.
    I don't watch the show. Would you be willing to spoil it and what was troubling about it?

I just thought it was funny that J'onn acknowledged that he was a Martian who spent 15 years as a black man, so I could understand why he wasn't so gung ho about integration.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't watch the show. Would you be willing to spoil it and what was troubling about it?
    spoilers:
    Basically it uses aliens as an allegory for real life immigrants. It tries to portray prejudice against aliens as a bad thing but the problem is a) most aliens seen on the show have been threats to Earth and b) this alien prejudice is only a recent thing and it was shown that Superman and Supergirl was more or less universally beloved.

Essentially, it's the same issue with the Mutant metaphor in X-Men.
    end of spoilers

I am black and I am kinda sad to see Madea Halloween make more money that Birth of A Nation. As a aspiring filmmaker and fellow Christian I respect what Tyler Perry has done, but to be honest his movies just aren't good. Madea was good in small doses but now the character is just a parody at this point all most like a black face type of deal.

But hey Marvel has really been doing well Black Panther and Luke Cage have both been well received.