Ultimate Member

DC had minorities headlining books only to get stomped by Image and the X-Line (one token per team) again and again, what were they going to do?
    Try again like they do with all those WHITE lead books that Image & Black male hating franchise X-Men outsold as well. Like they do with Carol Danvers.

Even now when I go into Wal-Mart I don't see much merchandise with any Batgirl. Even the DC Super Hero Girls stuff I don't see much of it but I see plenty of Wonder Woman. It's ultimately about the numbers though.
    She's around-it just depends on where you go. I guess black girls are not interested because that stuff along with WW is in bulk.

There is a segment of the comic population that will always go to the LCS. Newer fans are really not utilizing that channel as they have 40 years, 20 years and even 10 years previously. The scope of the exposure is no much more narrow on a monthly basis. This niche market is reversed outpaced by the readership. Some of the reasons these asshole despondent anti-minority voices are so loud is that some of them are the only audience left if you ask me. Then, well, the interwebz. .
    New folks are going after trades. Look at trade sales.

Those assholes might be the only audience left but that does not give them the right to attack books that they are not reading. And demanding books that were around when they were 13.

Especially when they have no plans to BUY those books. They just want to see it.

They cried for Ted Kord & Rich Ryder. How did that work out?

The thing is when the silver age 'iconic' characters fail to sell, they get chance after chance after chance. It's not applied consistently so fans get upset. Why can't they put the same effort behind characters like Vixen, John Stewart, Cassandra Cain, Mr. Teriffic, etc.? Books like Midnighter and Xombi have no chance so long as they keep marketing them to the same audience who insists on having comics read like how they were when they were thirteen
    Because that same group will throw a FIT if they did. Because those folks are not straight white males. It would be viewed as SJW agenda.

Much like with Duke-those POC would be blamed for what happened to Tim and others.

ANd don't forget Cass and others had better success than Cyborg-yet whose tanking book is still around. Yes he's in a movie & tv show is an excuse they will toss out. However try to say that for Static, Black Lightning & Vixen-"it doesn't matter! tv and movies don't bring fans." Yet when you sniff around trade sales whose there? Go to amazon and of the 60 only 6 (Ms Marvel, Hellcat & Vampirella) are not movie/tv guys.

If Hellcat is so bad why is her book a top seller on amazon? BEATING Rebirth books (not named WW).

They don't like newer characters but clearly people want books like that so the question is why keep putting them in a business model that is dying out instead of promoting them in bookstores or sites like Comixology? I mean, something like Moth City would have had no chance in print but make it a digital motion comic and suddenly it can get a spinoff and multiple seasons.
    To try to keep those stores open. Well to the few who will actually stock a Vixen book. IGNORE the Bleedingcool store owners-who think popular books mean WHITE only. A lot of store owners don't have issues with POC lead books.

You can't have an issue with Moon Girl and not with Young Animal Doom Patrol. Both are low sellers. Yet guess who stays sold out in stores around here? MOON GIRL.

Except Hal and Barry aren't lighting the charts on far despite DC and some fans swearing how iconic they are, most of the attributes both characters have now in comics and various media can be seen as taken from other "less popular" characters
    Because the NASTY reality of it is-a LOT of folks don't care for either. I see those books collecting DUST in the libraries.

Heck go to the dollar bins-who is there in BULK? Batman, Hal, Barry, X-Men & Superman. Moon Girl isn't there in large numbers.

Well, the nova title with Rich and Sam was actually pretty good, it just got the axe because Marvel didn't give it the time to find it's footing. They've done that to a lot of titles in the last few months. They'll probably do it to black bolt.

I don't think America Chavez's book will get cancelled. All the heat from secret empire on top of cancelling a book starring a queer latina would be too much for them. It needs a new writer though. Rivera doesn't know what she's doing, America doesn't have a personality, it's actually the same problem I have with Miles Morales.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 07-28-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Well, the nova title with Rich and Sam was actually pretty good, it just got the axe because Marvel didn't give it the time to find it's footing. They've done that to a lot of titles in the last few months. They'll probably do it to black bolt.

I don't think America Chavez's book will get cancelled. All the heat from secret empire on top of cancelling a book starring a queer latina would be too much for them. It needs a new writer though. Rivera doesn't know what she's doing, America doesn't have a personality, it's actually the same problem I have with Miles Morales.
    Frankly, other than the Tumblr crowd swearing up and down that Chavez deserved a book, she wouldn't have gotten one in the first place. This is just like the
    fem-Hawkeye book that is also failing.

At a certain point Comic Companies have to look at something other than crying fans on the interwebs to decide what stays or what goes but when they
    do uses sales as a metric, the cries of bias start.

But see there's an audience for Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales. There's even an audience for things like MoonGirl, even if that audience never sets foot in a comic shop.

Where's Chavez' audience at besides Tumbler?

There's no reason to buy into the idea that America Chavez would sell if they did it "right" (whatever that means) when that character barely had a fanbase
    to begin with.

If fans only like a character when one writer does it, how viable is that character really?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Looks good.

Is this gonna be on Netflix?
    I don't know.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

BANNED

I'd also say that the split between Sam and Rich fans also helped in the demise of that book

And Miles actually does have a personality

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Frankly, other than the Tumblr crowd swearing up and down that Chavez deserved a book, she wouldn't have gotten one in the first place. This is just like the

At a certain point Comic Companies have to look at something other than crying fans on the interwebs to decide what stays or what goes but when they

But see there's an audience for Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales. There's even an audience for things like MoonGirl, even if that audience never sets foot in a comic shop.

There's no reason to buy into the idea that America Chavez would sell if they did it "right" (whatever that means) when that character barely had a fanbase
    to begin with.

If fans only like a character when one writer does it, how viable is that character really?
    Why are "tumblr fans" whatever that means less worthy of being appealed to than any other comic fan? The argument you used against America Chavez used to be said for Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales. Even now you have fans who are like "Oh Ms. Marvel doesn't sell well on Diamond so therefore only SJWs wanted her" They routinely flood the shelves with books no one expected. Why not have one of them be a character who isn't a white male?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Why are "tumblr fans" whatever that means less worthy of being appealed to than any other comic fan? The argument you used against America Chavez used to be said for Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales. Even now you have fans who are like "Oh Ms. Marvel doesn't sell well on Diamond so therefore only SJWs wanted her" They routinely flood the shelves with books no one expected. Why not have one of them be a character who isn't a white male?
    I take little stock in anything coming from the message board/opinions side of the Internet, Tumbler included. Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales actually sold well on Diamond (Miles still does last I checked and Ms. Marvel still sells decently by 2017 standards so its not like there wasn't a basis for the support).

And I personally, want Marvel's flooding the market to stop period (and I want them to lower prices). I didn't want the Black Knight and Scarlet Witch books
    either(especially not at 3.99), and I am a Avengers fan.

The problem with Nova came after the end of his first vol1, just when he finally found out his dad we get another volume of "WHERE IS MY DAD" and this caused a lot of people to leave the book, also there is the problem of relaunching.

And in my opinion i dont think Blue Beetle was ever popular, he was always a niche characters, i think booster is more popular than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Why are "tumblr fans" whatever that means less worthy of being appealed to than any other comic fan?
    There is this sterotype that the tubmlr crowd or what could be described as the social justice warrior crowd does not read comics, this way of thinking is enforce by their exagerate reaction to any big news about a characters, sometmes changing in someway, when actually they lack context for that change.

At least that is my theory.
    Last edited by mojotastic; 07-28-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Also i wished that the hellcat book was like the one where she travelled to Alaska as part of the initiative, her recent book i disliked it.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    The problem with Nova came after the end of his first vol1, just when he finally found out his dad we get another volume of "WHERE IS MY DAD" and this caused a lot of people to leave the book, also there is the problem of relaunching.

And in my opinion i dont think Blue Beetle was ever popular, he was always a niche characters, i think booster is more popular than him.
    I don't think Booster Gold is more popular than the Reyes version of Blue Beetle. If that were the case then Booster would be the one with a spot on the Injustice 2 roster, a playable character in DC Legends and he'd be the one with the solo title. Young Justice did wonders for Blue Beetle's popularity.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I don't think Booster Gold is more popular than the Reyes version of Blue Beetle. If that were the case then Booster would be the one with a spot on the Injustice 2 roster, a playable character in DC Legends and he'd be the one with the solo title. Young Justice did wonders for Blue Beetle's popularity.
    I think booster is more popular than Ted Kord, i should had been more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post

This who every greenlighted/allowed that story to be told over & over & over & over again needs to fried..

Invincible Member

The irony is that Marvel's already getting tons of backlash from the anti-SJW crowd for publishing America Chavez in the first place. They complain about Riri but they literally burn MAC's book.

Invincible Member

to begin with.

I'd say Spider Gwen was similar in that she was big on tumblr, but probably had less on a following based on comics appearances. Yet her title seems to be doing ok ( I think).