Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    But see there's an audience for Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales. There's even an audience for things like MoonGirl, even if that audience never sets foot in a comic shop.

Where's Chavez' audience at besides Tumblr?

There's no reason to buy into the idea that America Chavez would sell if they did it "right" (whatever that means) when that character barely had a fanbase to begin with.

If fans only like a character when one writer does it, how viable is that character really?
    Moon Girl didn't have a fanbase when it just started. That was something that grew with time. Heck, J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter got rejected a couple of times - there was supposedly no market for it.

Creating books that appeal to the "Tumblr crowd" is all well and good. Heck, I started reading Vision and the ill-fated Mockingbird due to Tumblr recs. However, the delivery mechanism and pricing needs to be accessible to the target audience. That quite likely means Marvel Unlimited, comiXology Unlimited, bite-sized $0.99 digital issues or go straight to TPBs which can be easily purchased through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. Not $3.99-5.99 single issues. Now if by some chance the new readers do start buying singles at $3.99+ a pop, for goodness' sake don't try to force them into buying a lot more books than they signed up for by tying in the book they're buying to an event or crossover.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/black-p...are-struggling

Marvel's trying digital subscription first now with Immortal Iron Fists which I think is a good move. Based on the art and the Mean Girls scene, I reckon this book probably isn't one that would have found success as a direct market floppy.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 07-28-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Hari Kondabolu is making The Problem With Apu, a documentary about the stereotypes Indian comedians deal with

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.avclub.com/amp/258688

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Hari Kondabolu is making The Problem With Apu, a documentary about the stereotypes Indian comedians deal with

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.avclub.com/amp/258688
    This seems like a parody, hopefully it is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Try again like they do with all those WHITE lead books that Image & Black male hating franchise X-Men outsold as well. Like they do with Carol Danvers.

She's around-it just depends on where you go. I guess black girls are not interested because that stuff along with WW is in bulk.

New folks are going after trades. Look at trade sales.

Those assholes might be the only audience left but that does not give them the right to attack books that they are not reading. And demanding books that were around when they were 13.

Especially when they have no plans to BUY those books. They just want to see it.

They cried for Ted Kord & Rich Ryder. How did that work out?

Because that same group will throw a FIT if they did. Because those folks are not straight white males. It would be viewed as SJW agenda.

Much like with Duke-those POC would be blamed for what happened to Tim and others.

ANd don't forget Cass and others had better success than Cyborg-yet whose tanking book is still around. Yes he's in a movie & tv show is an excuse they will toss out. However try to say that for Static, Black Lightning & Vixen-"it doesn't matter! tv and movies don't bring fans." Yet when you sniff around trade sales whose there? Go to amazon and of the 60 only 6 (Ms Marvel, Hellcat & Vampirella) are not movie/tv guys.

If Hellcat is so bad why is her book a top seller on amazon? BEATING Rebirth books (not named WW).

To try to keep those stores open. Well to the few who will actually stock a Vixen book. IGNORE the Bleedingcool store owners-who think popular books mean WHITE only. A lot of store owners don't have issues with POC lead books.

You can't have an issue with Moon Girl and not with Young Animal Doom Patrol. Both are low sellers. Yet guess who stays sold out in stores around here? MOON GIRL.

Because the NASTY reality of it is-a LOT of folks don't care for either. I see those books collecting DUST in the libraries.

Heck go to the dollar bins-who is there in BULK? Batman, Hal, Barry, X-Men & Superman. Moon Girl isn't there in large numbers.
    Moon Girl is not in dollar bins because that store probably went to a pre order +2 policy with that title.

I am wholeheartedly with you about clamoring for books that you have no intention to support.

Ultimate Member

Okay I got a question for you all.

What the hell is SJW writing? When you never read the book?

How can you say Marvel got rid of all the white guys when they are in the books? Aside from Bruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6rIKAvCGis

And yeah its another Shawn video.

While he makes some good points but loses you with those nice buzz words that shows his lack of research.

At no time has any movie or tv show matched the comic. It's not possible aside from costumes and maybe personalities.

Cyborg, Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, EL Durado nor the Wonder Twins were in the Justice League book as members in the 80s.

Same with X-Men, Spider-Man & friends. We actually had cartoon adaptions of those as comics.

If someone watches Spiderman Homecoming and goes to the store-he can't find Peter Parker. Same with Tony Stark, Steve Rodgers & Thor. They will see Miles & Riri Williams.

So that fan would miss the legions of trades starring those guys? Now if he said Static-he would have a point.

I like it that all these complainers don't look at trade sales. Funny to see on amazon a book so many at Marvel bashed is beating every single Rebirth title in sales (under superheroes) call Patsy Walker Hellcat.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Moon Girl is not in dollar bins because that store probably went to a pre order +2 policy with that title.

I am wholeheartedly with you about clamoring for books that you have no intention to support.
    Not that I did not know about Moon Girl. I just know that is book whose trades stay sold out. Worst than Saga and Walking Dead.

I just don't get this I hate these books because they promote SJW crap but you never read the book.

And now scream for books you will never support. Because you want to walk into a store to see white males on covers.

How does that help sales? You see Bruce Banner as Hulk while you BUY Walking Dead. You see Bruce Banner as Hulk on the cover and you pass it because you want to wait till it's in bins.

WHo did their job? Savage Dragon 225 (who LOL sold out around here) who sells out those 10 copies or a Bruce Banner Hulk book that sells 2 out of 20 copies?

Screaming for a book is not the same as buying it.

I like it that all these complainers don't look at trade sales. Funny to see on amazon a book so many at Marvel bashed is beating every single Rebirth title in sales (under superheroes) call Patsy Walker Hellcat.
    Technically, Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat gets a ton of reads via the Kindle Unlimited service. If you go by print TPBs, there are plenty of Rebirth books outselling it on Amazon. Adopting a digital subscription model is probably one of the smartest things Marvel Comics has done.

Given lack of returnability, the retailers complaining kinda have a point. If the single issues are poor sellers via the direct market, then release them directly as TPBs or digital since the actual market/demographic seem to be buying from Amazon and comiXology and not comic shops, anyway.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Invincible Member

Okay I got a question for you all.

What the hell is SJW writing? When you never read the book?

How can you say Marvel got rid of all the white guys when they are in the books? Aside from Bruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6rIKAvCGis

And yeah its another Shawn video.

While he makes some good points but loses you with those nice buzz words that shows his lack of research.

At no time has any movie or tv show matched the comic. It's not possible aside from costumes and maybe personalities.

Cyborg, Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, EL Durado nor the Wonder Twins were in the Justice League book as members in the 80s.

Same with X-Men, Spider-Man & friends. We actually had cartoon adaptions of those as comics.

If someone watches Spiderman Homecoming and goes to the store-he can't find Peter Parker. Same with Tony Stark, Steve Rodgers & Thor. They will see Miles & Riri Williams.

So that fan would miss the legions of trades starring those guys? Now if he said Static-he would have a point.

I actually commented on that video. I think he actually made a valid point when he said that Marvel/DC were pricing themselves out of the market. Having said that, he was off on a few things...

Going to see a Marvel movie then going to the comic store and the character is different? That doesn't happen, at least not the way he said. There's all kinds of discussion among Marvel fans about their so-called movie "synergy". X-Men movie and the actors are wearing black suits? The comics are changed to reflect that. The Sam Rami Spider Man movies have Peter with organic web shooters? The comics reflect that. The first Avengers movie is a hit? Marvel releases an extra title with that line up. Bucky replaces Steve in the comics? When the first Cap movie comes out Steve is back as Cap. Otto replaces Peter as Spidey? When the Andrew Garfield movie comes out, Peter is back. GotG is a hit? The comic is retooled to reflect the movie version. Sam Jackson is Fury in the movies? We get Nick jr in the 616 universe. Ant-man movie out and Hank Pym has a daughter? All of a sudden in the 616, Hank has a daughter that no one knew about and she gets her own title.

And as far as DC needing to apologize for the nu52? Seriously? That's entitled fan boy whining. DC has rebooted their universe several times and ret-conned characters more times than I count (as has Marvel). There's probably a lot they do need to apologize for ( their treatment of certain creators, half assing projects, behind scenes hi-jinx), but the whole "Dr Atomic isn't exactly the same as when I was a kid" thing is not one of them.

As far as "SJW" writers and editors remark...it's Shawn jumping on the You Tube band wagon. You hits complaining about SJW Marvel...
    Last edited by ed2962; 07-29-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Invincible Member

Also, Shawn follows that vid with one about "cust service" in the comics industry, then FIVE where he attacks black women.

I never realized how much fun it is to edit the comicvine wikis! I've been doing that whenever I get bored and I've realized how neglected the lesser known characters are, especially if they're a minorty. Been filling in wiki's for a lot of Latino characters!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Technically, Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat gets a ton of reads via the Kindle Unlimited service. If you go by print TPBs, there are plenty of Rebirth books outselling it on Amazon. Adopting a digital subscription model is probably one of the smartest things Marvel Comics has done.

Given lack of returnability, the retailers complaining kinda have a point. If the single issues are poor sellers via the direct market, then release them directly as TPBs or digital since the actual market/demographic seem to be buying from Amazon and comiXology and not comic shops, anyway.

Then comic shops will complain that Marvel is trying to get rid of them by going directly to non traditional comic readers and cutting them out

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Then comic shops will complain that Marvel is trying to get rid of them by going directly to non traditional comic readers and cutting them out
    Thus far, I haven't seen any retailer complaints regarding the digital first Immortal Iron Fists by Kaare Andrews not being available as floppies.
    Currently Following:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Thus far, I haven't seen any retailer complaints regarding the digital first Immortal Iron Fists by Kaare Andrews not being available as floppies.

Give it time and there will be a Bleeding Cool article where now suddenly Iron Fist is a big deal and that series should be in print as well

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Give it time and there will be a Bleeding Cool article where now suddenly Iron Fist is a big deal and that series should be in print as well
    Sorry, but who cares? Frankly, most direct market comicbook retailers suck at the job of selling comic books to a mass audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Static is gay?
    No, Ollie. He isn't.
    When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.