Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Yeah, they are drowning in Anime-to-Movie translations over in Japan now.

For example, there's been a 3 Death Note movies including a L spin off movie, a TV series and a set of films that are sequels to the first 3 movies.

They don't really need to be fussed about what the States do with Death Note.
    That reminds me that at least with this Netflix Death Note they're making it an American version of the source material, unlike the Ghost In The Shell movie where they kept it in Japan but made the lead white anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well when you have your own stuff in large numbers-you can counter whatever crap that comes out.

Well you get that when you have more folks doing that as an insult versus respect or an attempt to better understand another culture. In fact in one of my business classes we had a book that actually encourage stuff like that as a show of respect.

Pretty much, and this was respectful and not insulting. Too many people now fail to see the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural exchange

http://www.timesofisrael.com/council...medium=twitter
    A town in Australia has blocked a synagogue from opening, claiming it might get hit by terrorists.......isn't this just letting terrorists win then?

Astonishing Member

For those who read the new Miles YA novel, how would you describe Miles' characterization? Would you say that the novel portrays him as introverted or extroverted?

I'm rather curious about that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    For those who read the new Miles YA novel, how would you describe Miles' characterization? Would you say that the novel portrays him as introverted or extroverted?

I'm rather curious about that.

Introverted, is this in response to the upcoming cartoon portraying him as extroverted?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Introverted, is this in response to the upcoming cartoon portraying him as extroverted?
    Seemingly portraying, at least, since we won't know for sure until he shows up and gets screen-time.

Anyway, it's that, coupled with how it seems like more writers of Miles than not tend to portray him as being an extrovert as opposed to an introvert, when the latter is how he is/was conceived. Like leo619 has said, it makes it feel like those writers who do aren't too comfortable with writing and portraying introverted people, or non-self-crippling introverts at least.

Also, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Seemingly portraying, at least, since we won't know for sure until he shows up and gets screen-time.

Anyway, it's that, coupled with how it seems like more writers of Miles than not tend to portray him as being an extrovert as opposed to an introvert, when the latter is how he is/was conceived. Like leo619 has said, it makes it feel like those writers who do aren't too comfortable with writing and portraying introverted people, or non-self-crippling introverts at least.

Also, thanks.
    Miles being an extrovert in the upcoming show sounds in line with the more OTT nature of the recent Marvel cartoons.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Miles being an extrovert in the upcoming show sounds in line with the more OTT nature of the recent Marvel cartoons.
    Except sadly it's not just the Cartoons that displayed him as more extroverted. I first notice this in Miles appearance in Ms.Marvel, the writer wrote Miles as a complete extrovert which through me for a loop. I thought it would have been a solo case but it wasn't. Pak wrote Miles in the totally awesome hulk book and while this was easily some of the most funny writing I've seen, again they made Miles much more extroverted. So it's been a common problem with writers in general who lack the complexity of writing a introverted character and instead of beefing up their own skills, they instead turn him extroverted.

I blame this more on western writing though, western writing on most cases are much more focus on plot and therefore lack the intrinsic nuance of writing more complicated characters like introverted characters. They just need them to get from point A to point B.

Manga on the other hand can recycle so many plots it's ridiculous, but that's because on most cases, the plot comes secondary before the character. That's why I enjoy manga more than comics to be honest on most cases.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/council...medium=twitter
    A town in Australia has blocked a synagogue from opening, claiming it might get hit by terrorists.......isn't this just letting terrorists win then?
    Dafuq?
    Backwards ass logic but then again its Australia...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I'm definitely gonna be watching this instead of Confederate

Though I would like for it to get a new name, preferably "New Colonia".
    I thought New Colonia was the worst name I have ever heard for a new colony. I would think they would name it something in the vein of "Liberia" where freedom/liberty is there. Naming your country what amounts to "new colony" is horrific and a complete lack of imagination for a people who had such a huge turnaround.

less white people making black superheroes and more black people making superheroes of any origin they want

http://deadline.com/2017/08/black-su...-8-1202142005/
    Studio 8 Options African-American Superpowers Comic ‘Black’ For Big Screen

Ultimate Member

You can see and taste those tears.

https://shadowandact.com/studio-8-bl...c-feature-film

If you thought Amazon's Black America would be the biggest response to HBO's upcoming drama Confederate, here's another one for you!

Studio 8 has optioned a comic book series, Black, from Black Mask Studios, where the United States is a country where only black people have superpowers. The series is created by former Marvel and DC digital editor, Kwanza Osajyefo, and Tim Smith

According to Deadline, who exclusively reported the news, the comic series "starts with a police shooting in Brooklyn that sees teen Kareem Jenkins survive a hail of bullets and discover that he is a lot more powerful than he ever knew.

Sorry Holt I didn't see yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Except sadly it's not just the Cartoons that displayed him as more extroverted. I first notice this in Miles appearance in Ms.Marvel, the writer wrote Miles as a complete extrovert which through me for a loop. I thought it would have been a solo case but it wasn't. Pak wrote Miles in the totally awesome hulk book and while this was easily some of the most funny writing I've seen, again they made Miles much more extroverted. So it's been a common problem with writers in general who lack the complexity of writing a introverted character and instead of beefing up their own skills, they instead turn him extroverted.
    Maybe they are being told to do that.

Maybe show him how he behaves around kids with powers his own age versus by himself or around adults.

Or it's the book is called Hulk & Ms Marvel not Miles Morales-lets focus on who the star is.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post

I blame this more on western writing though, western writing on most cases are much more focus on plot and therefore lack the intrinsic nuance of writing more complicated characters like introverted characters. They just need them to get from point A to point B.

Manga on the other hand can recycle so many plots it's ridiculous, but that's because on most cases, the plot comes secondary before the character. That's why I enjoy manga more than comics to be honest on most cases.
    Yep.

It also comes down to writers using Miles to write for Peter (i.e giving Miles Peter's personality) and/or using Miles to write Peter's spider-man (i.e Peter's ott quippy-ness when in costume) instead of writing Miles with his own personality in and out of costume.

It annoys me b/c the spider characters don't share the same personality, nor should Miles be your chance to write for Peter Parker when he is not, but if it's a guest appearance I guess I shouldn't complain, I did enjoy Miles guest starring on TAH, but as we can see this characterization is adding up and that same mischaracterization may be portrayed in the cartoon ...and tbh this has ne worried about the animated movie, even with Bendis involvement.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer