Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Aside from Green Lanterns aren't all of DC minority leads flying under the radar?

Yet the book everyone has high hopes for is New Superman. IF it was a Marvel book-they would rip it to shreds and fight the writer to get it axed.

ANd guess who is number one in the box office-

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4336&p=.htm

And honestly I can see it doing again next week or top 3 with Jigsaw and Clooney's movie.
    I am aware that DiC actually did rip up a a copy of Widstorm, but I didn't watch that video, so I don't know what he had to say about it.

But more seriously, Cray is portrayed as intelligent and clever yet also unapologetically badass and is the lead in his own series. It's what a lot of us want to see more of in mainstream cape comics. But some of us ignore titles that aren't already popular.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I'm super skeptical with Stallone writing and directing. If Coogler and Aaron Covington (or either) had written the script again then I'd probably be more interested than I am. And the Drago thing sounds silly as hell. Not interested in the Creed movies becoming more about Rocky than they are about Adonis. Time will tell I guess.
    Same here. There's probably a way to do it and make it believable, but it's also possible to turn it into complete cheese.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    I am so sick and tired of Tyler Perry's coonin' and buffoonin' drag queen act. Ignorant Negroes. What can you do about them?
    I don't really have anything against the guy but Tracy Morgan somehow gets off easier than Perry and a few other folks who get accused of coonin'...

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't really have anything against the guy but Tracy Morgan somehow gets off easier than Perry and a few other folks who get accused of coonin'...
    I flushed all of those Negroes a long time ago. If coonin' and buffoonin' is the only way these cats can sustain their careers in Hollywood, then "sell out" isn't a strong enough word to describe them.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But more seriously, Cray is portrayed as intelligent and clever yet also unapologetically badass and is the lead in his own series. It's what a lot of us want to see more of in mainstream cape comics. But some of us ignore titles that aren't already popular.
    Let alone that the title is going to seemingly have a serious "DC Elseworlds" slant for fans of that element of DC's wider universe.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Let alone that the title is going to seemingly have a serious "DC Elseworlds" slant for fans of that element of DC's wider universe.
    Right, it's not the main universe so some fans think that it doesn't "count".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    I flushed all of those Negroes a long time ago. If coonin' and buffoonin' is the only way these cats can sustain their careers in Hollywood, then "sell out" isn't a strong enough word to describe them.
    The thing is, unlike Tracy Morgan who needs traditional Hollywood for work, traditional Hollywood has very little to do with Tyler Perry.

He services a market that Hollywood traditionally ignores: "the Black Church Lady demo" and he gets funds from outside the traditional Hollywood means.

Basically Tyler deals with regular non showbiz businessfolk and triples their relatively minor investments in his low budget flicks.

It's the reason why Perry can always get money. His investors aren't worried about art or even movies. They just want ROI. And Boo2 is gonna turn a
    profit by mid-week if it hasn't already.

Dude even built his own studio. Other than distribution from Lionsgate he doesn't need traditional Hollywood for anything.

Perry's the reason we now get church folk movies like War Room every 3 months.

Perry made Hollywood (or at least other indy dudes) realize that Church Ladies see movies too (and they see movies a whole lot, as it turns out).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The thing is, unlike Tracy Morgan who needs traditional Hollywood for work, traditional Hollywood has very little to do with Tyler Perry.

He services a market that Hollywood traditionally ignores: "the Black Church Lady demo" and he gets funds from outside the traditional Hollywood means.

Basically Tyler deals with regular non showbiz businessfolk and triples their relatively minor investments in his low budget flicks.

It's the reason why Perry can always get money. His investors aren't worried about art or even movies. They just want ROI. And Boo2 is gonna turn a

Dude even built his own studio. Other than distribution from Lionsgate he doesn't need traditional Hollywood for anything.

Perry made Hollywood (or at least other indy dudes) realize that Church Ladies see movies too (and they see movies a whole lot, as it turns out).
    Now that you mention it, I'm surprised that Perry hasn't teamed up with the Kendrick Bros. yet. They're the ones that made movies like War Room, Courageous, and those other religious films that have come out in the last few years.

A recent interview I did.

"Despite the awesome quality works coming out from the Black indie scene, there’s still a lot that can be done. Message boards and social media groups have come a long way, pushing out materials to be supported, but a HUGE majority of POC fans are still preaching and complaining about Marvel and DC’s usage of some of their Black characters yet they still won’t put their money where their mouth is and try out some critically acclaimed or fan favorite Black indie books. And the crappy thing is, we can’t get more of our stuff out without all the support that would actually help us produce and represent us in a better light."

https://squidmag.wordpress.com/2017/...frican-comics/

Less than 2 days left to help support and get a copy of Is'nana if anyone is interested.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...pider-volume-2
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

He also has Oprah for his tv deals

The Bernie Mac Show creator Larry Wilmore is returning to the family comedy arena with a twist. Wilmore has partnered with comedian Bassem Youssef, known as Jon Stewart of Egypt, for a comedy about a Middle Eastern American family of superheroes, which has been set up at ABC.

The untitled project (aka Super Challenged Heroes, SCH) is an action-adventure-fantasy show that asks the question: what is it like to be a hero in a world that treats you like a villain? It centers on the Sharif family, an ordinary Middle Eastern American family with two superhero parents at a time when it’s illegal to be a superhero, so they are forced to save the world in secret. The show will highlight some of the issues that immigrant families face when it comes to fitting into a society that many times treats you like the enemy.
    http://deadline.com/2017/10/larry-wi...bc-1202193019/

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Tessa Thompson stated on twitter that her MCU character, Valkyrie, is bisexual. The gay alien character Korg is also going to be in the movie but I remain skeptical that these character's sexuality will be actually be addressed in the movie.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Tessa Thompson stated on twitter that her MCU character, Valkyrie, is bisexual. The gay alien character Korg is also going to be in the movie but I remain skeptical that these character's sexuality will be actually be addressed in the movie.
    Was LeFou's gay moment addressed in Beauty and the Beast?

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    Was LeFou's gay moment addressed in Beauty and the Beast?
    He just danced with a guy during the Gaston song. That's about it. Also, apparently on Supergirl, all of the Martians are black. Carl Lumbly, who started the trend played J'onn J'onzz's father, M'gann is black, Til'all is black, and the rest of the martians are all black. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    It'll probably not come up. She may even have just been referring to what she knows of the comics, because I know Fearless Defenders threw in some hints Valkyrie was bi.