Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Is this the first American tv drama with a mostly Asian cast? Meaning ongoing, not a tv movie or mini-series. I can't think of another.
    I think the only ones I can think of is Vanishing Son with Russel Wong from the 90s Action Pack series (that gave us Xena & Hercules). Martial Law on CBS. Netflix's Brown Nation.

The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo was for kids.

Why Black Men Love Dragon Ball Z
    https://kotaku.com/why-black-men-lov...l-z-1820481429

this doesn't count for Dragonball Super
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Why Black Men Love Dragon Ball Z
    https://kotaku.com/why-black-men-lov...l-z-1820481429

this doesn't count for Dragonball Super
    How the hell is Goku an underdog? His not knowing his heritage was never presented as an issue for him. And the guy may hold the distinct honour for being the worst father in all of fiction without being a villain.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-16-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How the hell is Goku an underdog? His not knowing his heritage was never presented as an issue for him. And the guy may hold the distinct honour for being the worst father in all of fiction without being a villain.
    the blogger has her own take, somethings I agree with some which never really crossed my mine.

As for the underdog bit I'd say Goku is very clearly the underdog to all the main antagonists. From the first episode to the end of the Frieza Arc, which to be frank is when DBZ should have ended. I loved the Cell Saga for finishing of the Gohan and Piccolo story arcs, even the Future Trunks elements (despite the Vegeta 180), but Frieza would have ben the most naturally conclusion to DBZ without stretching it out. So yeah Goku's clearly an underdog.

Goku also only really becomes a terrible father near the end of the Cell Saga, after that he just gets progressively worse and worse, but this is as DBZ exceeds its natural ending and just stretches itself out more and more eventually becoming the randomness it is now.

But this isn't the first time we've heard this. People have long related the entire Namek and Frieza storylines to this concept.

Anyway I get some of the points, not all of the analogies. However, I don't think this holds water as much for the Buu Saga and everything following it. Still this is what happens when shows never end and forget what they once were.
    The J-man

Coco is now the highest grossing film in Mexico.
    http://deadline.com/2017/11/coco-pix...rd-1202209221/

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Well, at least we know he isn't a kickboxer, his ears look kind of weird though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Oh I forgot to mention, two weeks ago I had one of the worst experience ever. I was moving to a new location closer to my work and my ex-roommate at that time recommended me to move my electronics to my car and said I shouldn't trust the movers. So I did, continue cleaning up the apartment in preparation for the move in day the following day. I wake up the next day, decide to move my car to allow the movers to use my parking spot, only to realize that my car was completely gone. My neighbors must had saw me move my stuff, and call their boys to hijack my car. So I had call my roommate, have him take my money and give it to the movers cause I had to do a police report the same time the movers were moving my stuff. Fortunately, the boys were stupid, and decided to use my car for another burglary attempt. The police saw the guys with black plastic bags and they took off. The police didn't catch the guys but at least found my vehicle and stuff. But since this happened at 3:00 Am in the morning, there was no stolen vehicle report. So they impounded my vehicle for reckless abandonment.

They take me to the tow location, the folks try to charge me 250 bucks. But since my vehicle was stolen, they said call the Geico to open a claim and they would pay for it. So I did, explain to them I'm having the worst moving day in moving day history and they open up a claim saying I should get a call back shortly. I don't get a call for hours. Finally I get a call, they said because my deductable is 250 bucks, I would have to pay for towing. I'm like, why couldn't they tell me this back when I first open the claim. So I try to pay it, but then they say the police records still has my vehicle listed as reckless abandonment so I have to pay a 175 dollar fee to the police station. I'm like, what is this scam?! So I ask my roommate to come back down and take me to the police station. We go to the police station, told them the situation, and after a couple hours from them, they were able to remove the fee. My friend takes me back to the towing location, but since it's past 5:00 pm, they charge me an after hours 75 dollar fee on top of the 250. So I pay the fee, my friend takes off, I start the car and it goes to 1 rpm and shuts off, every single time. So I'm stranded at the towing site that's closed, my cell phone was dead, and my friend/roommate gone. So I had to walk 5 miles in 93 degree heat because of course that week we had to have a heat wave to the place where I purchase my car.

Long story short, I ended up being almost homeless on the day I was supposed to move. Fortunately I got to best buy via taxi like 15 minutes before it closed, purchase a power back and a usb c cord which combined cost another 80 bucks, just so I can start making calls.

I felt like I was literally the unluckiest man on that planet that day lol.

The good news from all of this is that I got promoted to engineer at my job, which pushes my salary to upper middle class, not I'm just scared that being single uncle sam is going to kill me in taxes lol.
    If your last name is Parker, then that would explain everything.

Extraordinary Member

I think Bruce Wayne & Oilver Queen can give Goku a run for his money in regards to bad fathers in fiction.

Just played the new battlefront, so much for a poc protagonist in a game that is a piece of crap.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This is a common mis-step in Shonen Fiction, I think.

Goku starts out as a weird underdog with natural talent who busts his ass to be the best.

It's not until we get to Dragonball Z that we find out he's from a race of uber aliens and that his dad was far tougher than even the average Sayan.

Naurto pulled this too. He started out as a weird underdog with natural talent and then in Shippuden we find out that he was the son of gifted
    and highly ranked uber ninjas all along.

Spectacular Member

I’m seeing Justice League today and I’m excited. But the press surrounding JL is just crazy. Ben Affleck is in trouble for making a Joke about the Hollywood sexual harassment claims. People are upset about the Amazons costumes being too revealing. As well as the fact that (Spoilers) there’s possibly a scene where Flash trips and falls into WW chest and apparently Gal Gadot refused to film it so they used a body double. And Joss Whedon liking tweets criticizing Steppenwolf, comparing him to Malekith. I’m remaining optimistic but this negative press could harm the film and future DC movies.
    Last edited by Mr HardKnocks; 11-16-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Well, at least we know he isn't a kickboxer, his ears look kind of weird though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    This is a common mis-step in Shonen Fiction, I think.

Goku starts out as a weird underdog with natural talent who busts his ass to be the best.

It's not until we get to Dragonball Z that we find out he's from a race of uber aliens and that his dad was far tougher than even the average Sayan.

Naurto pulled this too. He started out as a weird underdog with natural talent and then in Shippuden we find out that he was the son of gifted
    and highly ranked uber ninjas all along.
    You even see this in superhero stories too (not surprising given how much in common the two genres have). How many heroes are born rich, with super powers etc.

Astonishing Member

So yay for early screenings!

I saw Justice League last night. Spoilers Below:

spoilers:
    It was pretty good. Definitely not the best but I'd rank it the second best DCU movie only behind wonder woman.

The Good:

Superman: Holy Crap, they finally did him justice. He was a straight beast in this movie like he should be. He doesn't appear until
    around the 3rd act, (I guess to keep tension), but with my major complaint with the DC movies being how weak they make superman look, they seem to finally listen. Personality wise, he's a mixture of new52 and classic superman. He definitely has a bit of range and almost cockiness to him, but there's also a side of warmth.

Flash: Definitely stole the show, he's the fanboy geek that gets powers and loves it. He's hilarious in the movie. The speed representation is nice. I can see why they made him very newbish with his powers because his slips and falls and rookie ideology makes it to where he has more difficult time solving problems. He trips literally all over the place lol.

The Average:

Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot charm couldn't save her lines. After being written so well in her own movie, the way she tries to reach out to Cyborg lacks the warmth and maternal instinct that was seen in the early movies, instead harping on Steve Trevors death to bring more moodiness into the fray when she would normally try to boost him. Her saving grace was her action scenes, which makes her appear super bad ass, probably the second most bad ass character behind Superman. With that said, there was a scene with the Amazons which had two cross fit female champions in it, and holy crap, they made gal gadot look like a puppy. IMO, it wasn't a good idea because when I think of Wonder Woman and Amazon's, I think of body types like that, and it was just a reminder of how small and frail Gal Gadot looks.

Batman: I like the way they did Batman, instead of the Batgod I normally see, they realistically portrayed him as a human dealing with crazy, outworldly threats and it was refreshing and realistic. He had his hits and moments, but he clearly was an individual that was over his head in most occasions and I definitely enjoyed it. Ben Affleck's bruce was great, his portrayal of batman, not so much. He doesn't have the intimidating factor that other batman characters have.

The Bad:

Aquaman: Summarize quickly, The way Jason Momoa portrayed Aquaman was freaking awesome. But he by far had the lowest amount of scenes in the justice league movie which is a shame. I feel a lot of time used for batman could have been used for Aquaman instead, since he needed it more. It was like being given a steak but told you could only eat the corner. He also arguably had the best action scenes in the movie.

Cyborg: Oh Cyborg, The actor himself did the role extremely well. They went with the man and the monster approach for Cyborg which out of all the stories, was probably done the best. But that makes sense, since that fits right in Zack Snyder's wheelhouse. It was compelling and also had the most screen time, most likely because the story is built around the mother box's which is based around his powers. But while Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Superman were all throwing blows and being bad ass, Cyborg was nothing more then the plot mover, knowing information and giving it to everyone so everyone else can take action. Even where it's his moment to split open the mother box into 3 separate mother box, he needs superman's help to split them open. He doesn't have a single combat bad ass moment in the entire movie, instead spending most of the time running away from steppanwolf, and of course the classic snap cyborg in half moment to illustrate how dire the scene is. He definitely feels like the weakest character in the movie, which is not a good role to play when he's supposed to be your response to black panther.

The villain itself was the second worst villain in the DC universe, he was so vague and just wanting to conquer it was pathetic. Ares still has stepphanwolf beat because of his monopoly mustache, but stepphanwolf saving grace was being portrayed as a beast, he was rocking everyone around. Sadly it came at the cost of some of the amazon's, including two of the amazons that were the crossfit champions.

Joss Wheldon charm was much needed in this movie. You can kind of tell which scenes was done by Joss and which were done by Zack.
    This movie would have been MUCH worse if not for the humor Joss Wheldon charm added to the mix.
    end of spoilers

Ultimately, I give this movie a like 83%, between a B- and a B. It's not the best in the world, but against the rest of the trash of the DCU movies, it was definitely a right step forward.