Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think most of that rage would be from Oliver fans. Dinah fans would rather her be with Diana or Barbara. Or anyone but Oliver really.

As much as the fandom racism sickens me, I'm more bothered by the fact that when it comes to interracial relationships in superhero media, most of them involve a white person being one half of the pairing. Wally/Linda could have been one of the few Black/Asian pairings seen in superhero adaptations if they hadn't wasted her as a throwaway love interest on Barry.
    You know I learn something everyday about the comic fandom.

I thought this went beyond superhero fiction and extended into most media. But yes it was ridiculous have Linda hookup with only to toss her away like a season before you introduce Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    You are kinda seeing this with Harley Quinn right now. She's a canonical murdering nut job but she's not so bad because...she's cute?
    This here is why I can never fully enjoy Injustice, well one of the reasons anyway. I mean yeah she's hot but what about Metropolis?
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Astonishing Member

In fairness, I don't think that was about avoiding an interracial relationship but more because them being on separate tv series would make it hard to develop the relationship. There's a reason Buffy and Angel broke up just before he got his own spinoff. Luke and Jessica was never going to work out so long as neither was a supporting character to the other's series. Frankly they should have just left Luke out of Jessica's series given what they had her do to him. And if someone was going to get thrown under the bus I'd rather it not be the black person. Luke and Claire have a good relationship going and Jessica won't be relationship material til she gets her life together. Fortunately she's taking therapy as seen in the trailers but I don't think her and Luke is in the cards.
    Completely disagree, just because they have their own series does not mean they could not be supporting cast members in each other series, especially since the entire focus of the netflix marvel series was to provide a unified front (hence Defenders.) Buffy and Angel broke up numerous times in the show, not just from the spinoff, but the big difference is Buffy and Angel didn't have a comic book series that went on for years where they were shown to be married. Buffy and Angel also didn't have the additional content of lack of representation for IR couples, specifically with BM/WF. (Plus Buffy had the whole Spike deal)

So it's definitely not an apples to apples scenario by any means.

So, what they should have done is just write Jessica better, and not writer her to throw him under the bus just so the show didn't have to worry about a BM/WF relationship.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    As a gay Star wars fan I definitely believe most of the baiting came from stuff off-screen more than what actually happens in the movies. The main thing was that even before The Force Awakens premiered Oscar Issac said in an interview on Ellen that he was quote; "playing at romance with someone", and given how few characters Poe even interacts with in The Force Awakens he was obviously talking about biting his lip at Finn. That's what started the shipping of those two characters and I believe that was Oscar Isaac's doing, I don't even think Disney/Lucasfilm even realized what he was setting in motion.

Since then there's been stuff like Kathleen Kennedy saying that they're considering a Finn/Poe romance and the official visual guidebook for The Last Jedi said that Poe wears his mother's wedding ring as a necklace and he's waiting for the right romantic "partner" to give it to. And they specifically used that gender-neutral term partner.

I've said on this site before that as a gay Star Wars fan I don't expect Disney/Lucasfilm to actually allow Poe to be a gay or bi character. When people like JJ Abrams or the Russo brothers say there's going to be gay characters in Star Wars and the MCU eventually I just roll my eyes and assume they're trying to make themselves look good without actually commiting to giving us real representation.
    Completely agree, I don't think Star Wars had any real intention of actually showing LGBT representation, much of they claim is essentially lip service to keep people interested enough to watch their movies. I definitely didn't believe JJ Abrams had the intention of making Poe and Finn a pairing. That's why I disagreed with the movie being the catalyst to spark the shippers, it was definitely the off screen interviews that sparked it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post

I thought this went beyond superhero fiction and extended into most media. But yes it was ridiculous have Linda hookup with only to toss her away like a season before you introduce Wally.
    The showrunners of the Flash are Terribad at long range planning to the point of hilarity.

Ideally Linda Park and Iris' boss would have been kept on as supporting cast members if for no other reason so that Iris has something to do at work.

They just stopped showing Iris' work place and any semblance of her having a job other than leading Team Flash (despite her being the least useful person there).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Japanese wrestler Kairi Sane was subject to racist taunts by "fans" at a WWE NXT event.

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2018...ts-at-wwe-nxt/

Not surprising for a slew of reasons. I mean, this is WWE, where the fans believe Hulk Hogan should return. With that said, it's usually the mark's that mostly cause the commotion.

The showrunners of the Flash are Terribad at long range planning to the point of hilarity.

Ideally Linda Park and Iris' boss would have been kept on as supporting cast members if for no other reason so that Iris has something to do at work.

They just stopped showing Iris' work place and any semblance of her having a job other than leading Team Flash (despite her being the least useful person there).
    Somebody has to be around to give inspirational speeches and remind Barry that they're both the flash.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Completely agree, I don't think Star Wars had any real intention of actually showing LGBT representation, much of they claim is essentially lip service to keep people interested enough to watch their movies. I definitely didn't believe JJ Abrams had the intention of making Poe and Finn a pairing. That's why I disagreed with the movie being the catalyst to spark the shippers, it was definitely the off screen interviews that sparked it.
    Issac could look at a tree stump and make you think that he had romantic intentions towards it.

When the GLBT fandom picked up on Issacs and Boyega's on screen chemistry, the actors themselves ran with it in interviews,
    mostly to amuse themselves.

But Disney doesn't remotely have the guts to do it.

If this was the Trek franchise, maybe.

This here is why I can never fully enjoy Injustice, well one of the reasons anyway. I mean yeah she's hot but what about Metropolis?
    I think the only redemption arcs that have been done well in superhero comics are Songbird and Rogue.

I think the only redemption arcs that have been done well in superhero comics are Songbird and Rogue.
    Seeing as how I keep forgetting these two were villains I can't argue with this. Also I feel that certain characters shouldn't be redeemed based on just how evil they are.

Who needs a job when you're on Team Flash. But showing Iris at work would help setup the article that she eventually writes.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh Avi Arad the founder of Marvel Studios disagrees with you. He credits Blade with reviving the modern super hero genre, his opinion is most likely more informed than yours. When I say most likely I'm just joking, his opinion is more informed.
    That's a non-argument given that you haven't bothered to say how Arad justifies his opinion, nor did you answer my objection.

I feel sure Arad knows that both X-MEN and SPIDER-MAN had been planned for adaptation long before BLADE ever debuted, and that the films probably would have been made even if BLADE had tanked. That's why I said its effect was mostly encouragement. Jeez, there's only two years separating BLADE from the first X-MEN. Does the 2000 film look like some executive took a look at BLADE's returns and said, "Hey, let's make a film about the most popular superheroes in comics, because a movie about a comics-hero succeeded, irrespective of whether its audience knew it was a comic or not?"

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Stick around we're going to have some heavy metal belly dancing coming up soon
    I got my entertainment for today, when I scrolled through the posts to see if you asked for "proof" from the guys who alleged white bigotry was behind Mehcad Brooks not instantly becoming the love of Supergirl's life.

Planning on asking for said proof of THOSE opinions any time this year?

Extraordinary Member

I think it helped that both became more beautiful as time went on.

Check out Rogue's first appearances. She looked middle-aged in various comics before joining the X-Men. She looked like a tomboy the first few years on the team. Once Marc Silvestri started drawing her...

I think Songbird literally had plastic surgery so no one would recognize her as Screaming Mimi.

I think most of that rage would be from Oliver fans. Dinah fans would rather her be with Diana or Barbara. Or anyone but Oliver really.

As much as the fandom racism sickens me, I'm more bothered by the fact that when it comes to interracial relationships in superhero media, most of them involve a white person being one half of the pairing. Wally/Linda could have been one of the few Black/Asian pairings seen in superhero adaptations if they hadn't wasted her as a throwaway love interest on Barry.
    This very true, all those so-called Mercedes Knight & Sam/Falcon fans come out the wood work pissed about their rship .. How Sam should be with insert wateva white female character ( around the time he became CapAm, & marvel shouldve didn't help the situation with Jane/Jet Black) & Mercedes should only ever look White fragilely- fist way.. But nooooone of these so-called Mercedes fans didn't have ish to say about Fist dating 3 or 4 woman snice they have broke up & Mercedes being alone sexless/rship less for years until she got with Sam..

Noooone these so-called Sam fans didn't care one bit about Sam ( like most black male characters in comics) being sexless/rship for I believe a 10 years. While us actual Sam fan had be asking writers/editors to please give Sam a love life & a personal life over that Sam time period.
    Last edited by 4sake Baned; 02-23-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Can't really argue there. For one such as Jessica you'd need Luke's unbreakable skin, Wolverine's skeleton, and Cap's personality.

Let's put this Kylo Ren thing into perspective, not only was he a mass murderer he was prepared to wipe out the last vestiges of his family.

Looking back perhaps the showrunners never intended for Jessica and Luke to be a thing like in the comics. You'd think more people would be sour about this like they are about Natasha and Bucky not being a thing or Clint and Bobbi but it is what it is.

Now let's flip the script for the fun of it. Back when Candice Patton was cast as Iris West I recall a bit of blowback as one would expect with a race bend. Anyway fast forward in time a bit and everyone seems to have mellowed out and you don't hear a peep, hell DCEU Iris is going to be black most likely due to this casting. Currently Iris is married to Barry but before getting married she only dated or expressed interest in white men. Now there was a brief moment when she considered going out on a date with her boss, a black dude, but by the end of the episode she was more than positive that she wanted to be with Barry.

In a somewhat similar case we have Peter Parker and Liz Allan/Toomes from Homecoming. Again there was the initial negative response to the casting then everything was gravy more or less. Now what really separates this from BarryxIris is that Peter and Liz never actually got together and she moved at the end of the movie but wait we have Michelle waiting in the wings.

In regards to Tumblr it can be a mix of column A and column B at times.
    On a side note...I'm so glad the Spider-Franchise actually has visually appealing women.

No ugly chicks under the age of 30 were allowed in a John Romita comic.

It hurts having to look at the visually un-appealing Kirsten Dunst.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    This very true, all those so-called Mercedes Knight & Sam/Falcon fans come out the wood work pissed about their rship .. How Sam should be with insert wateva white female character ( around the time he became CapAm, & marvel shouldve didn't help the situation with Jane/Jet Black) & Mercedes should only ever look White fragilely- fist way.. But nooooone of these so-called Mercedes fans didn't have ish to say about Fist dating 3 or 4 woman snice they have broke up & Mercedes being alone sexless/rship less for years until she got with Sam..

Noooone these so-called Sam fans didn't care one bit about Sam ( like most black male characters in comics) being sexless/rship for I believe a 10 years. While us actual Sam fan had be asking writers/editors to please give Sam a love life & a personal life over that Sam time period.
    I think Priest was the last writer to give Sam a relationship during his short-lived Cap & Falcon series. She was a SHIELD agent, and her name escapes me.