Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Completely agree, I don't think Star Wars had any real intention of actually showing LGBT representation, much of they claim is essentially lip service to keep people interested enough to watch their movies. I definitely didn't believe JJ Abrams had the intention of making Poe and Finn a pairing. That's why I disagreed with the movie being the catalyst to spark the shippers, it was definitely the off screen interviews that sparked it.
    It's also very obvious because the supplementary media does have LGBT characters. Doctor Aphra is gay and the current arc of her comic has set up a potential female love interest for her, and one of the main characters in the Aftermath series of novels is a gay man. Disney/Lucasfilm is fine with that **** until you try to put it in their most visible mainstream medium, film, in which case it's a no-no. Applies to the MCU as well. You'll see LGBT characters in the comics and live-action shows, but we now have at least two confirmed instances of scenes with explicit LGBT confirmation being cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I think it helped that both became more beautiful as time went on.

Check out Rogue's first appearances. She looked middle-aged in various comics before joining the X-Men. She looked like a tomboy the first few years on the team. Once Marc Silvestri started drawing her...
    Same thing with Marrow. She was butt ugly for most of her existence and then when she reformed and joined the X-Men, they came up with some bullshit plot where she got injured and then a healing device screwed up and accidentally rewrote her genes so she would be beautiful.

A lot of dudes can't handle the idea of a female protagonist who isn't crazy hot.
    Last edited by Holt; 02-23-2018 at 06:23 PM.

edited post.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-23-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    You see a version of this with female villains too.

A really hot woman is NEVER beyond redemption in genre fiction. If she was then then the hero couldn't ever bang her.

And hot women that the audience identifier/hero in genre fiction CAN'T have aren't to be tolerated.

You are kinda seeing this with Harley Quinn right now. She's a canonical murdering nut job but she's not so bad because...she's cute?

It's not like she ever reformed/became sane.

All she did was realize that the Joker didn't care about her.
    Add Wanda Maximoff to that list. Joins a neo nazi organization due to a weakly supported grudge, psychologically violates five out of the six Avengers, teams with a murderous robot, sics the Hulk on a populated area (fun fact, in the two movies she's appeared in thus far, she's caused the deaths of black people in an African country) and only turns on Ultron when he tries to blow up the planet. This is ignored by the fans and the creators alike.

Wait what? When did Sam and Misty become a couple in the television media? I know they became a couple in comics, though I've only saw a few people saying Misty should be Iron Fist, and I've never seen Sam requesting to be paired up with anybody to be honest. From what I've seen, most people support Misty Knight and Sam.

And technically Agent Z was referring to interracial pairings in movies, television. Sam and Misty is monoracial.

With that said, it really depends upon which racial group we're referring to regarding the involvement. Because we all know it's not a unilateral approach across the board by any means.

Asian Females - Definitely, Agents of shield appears to have the only asian females in a television show. They aren't in a relationship currently, but their pairings have been white males.

Asian Males - Um, do they exist in superhero media?

Hispanic Females - Not really. To be honest, the only hispanic female relationship I can think of is the only one that's currently still going in the media, and that's Agents of Shield Yo Yo and Mack

Hispanic Males - They exist, but are almost never in a relationship. So I can't even recall if they were in an interracial relationship, let along what race they were.

Black Females - Definitely, this is mostly because of the arrowverse. You have Iris West, Hawkwoman, and Vixen (JSA version.)

Black Males - Not so much. There's Mack and Yo Yo, who's black and hispanic. Then for white you had Wally West and Jesse Quick, and Jimmie and Lena (he never dated supergirl.) From what I can remember, even with Luke and Jessica being married in the comics, they never really went into a committed relationship in Jessica Jones, they were just a fling.

So overall, it really depends upon which racial group you're referring to as to being paired to a white person. But it's definitely not across the board by any means.
    Actually May had an ex-husband who was African-American. Unfortunately, he died.

Young Justice also had some ship teasing between Native American Tye Longshadow and Japanese Asami Koizumi.

Wait what? When did Sam and Misty become a couple in the television media? I know they became a couple in comics, though I've only saw a few people saying Misty should be Iron Fist, and I've never seen Sam requesting to be paired up with anybody to be honest. From what I've seen, most people support Misty Knight and Sam.

And technically Agent Z was referring to interracial pairings in movies, television. Sam and Misty is monoracial.

With that said, it really depends upon which racial group we're referring to regarding the involvement. Because we all know it's not a unilateral approach across the board by any means.

Asian Females - Definitely, Agents of shield appears to have the only asian females in a television show. They aren't in a relationship currently, but their pairings have been white males.

Asian Males - Um, do they exist in superhero media?

Hispanic Females - Not really. To be honest, the only hispanic female relationship I can think of is the only one that's currently still going in the media, and that's Agents of Shield Yo Yo and Mack

Hispanic Males - They exist, but are almost never in a relationship. So I can't even recall if they were in an interracial relationship, let along what race they were.

Black Females - Definitely, this is mostly because of the arrowverse. You have Iris West, Hawkwoman, and Vixen (JSA version.)

Black Males - Not so much. There's Mack and Yo Yo, who's black and hispanic. Then for white you had Wally West and Jesse Quick, and Jimmie and Lena (he never dated supergirl.) From what I can remember, even with Luke and Jessica being married in the comics, they never really went into a committed relationship in Jessica Jones, they were just a fling.

So overall, it really depends upon which racial group you're referring to as to being paired to a white person. But it's definitely not across the board by any means.
    There was also Maggie Sawyer in Supergirl who was supposed to be Hispanic, though the the actress that played her was a mix of Italian, Irish, English, Spanish, Portuguese. She was in a relationship with Alex Danvers.

John Diggle, a black man, is married to Lyla Michaels in Arrow. Also Curtis Holt, a black man, in Arrow, was married to a white man for a while.

BANNED

Oh we all know her core aspect is that she's a pile of mud trying to mold herself into a work of baroque art, that's to be expected. But Bendis knew exactly how to write that perfect balance, and definitely knew how to write Luke to where it didn't look ridiculous if he was going to pursue a relationship with her. As for why not just avoid it all together? It's simple, the method that was used makes it MUCH harder to actually fully support a Luke and Jessica relationship. If the relationship was erased originally, if a different director was selected for Jessica Jones, or even with the first season of Luke Cage, that director could possibly pursue a relationship between the two and allow it to flourish.
    Hang on here.
    The only reason Cage and Jess got married in the comics is that she got pregnant. And if that comics were a tv show it would not have happened in the first season. Cage was a one woman man at the start of that comic.

As for the show... let's look at the history here. Cage was happily married, and his wife was killed by Killgrave using Jessica to beat her to death. Even letting the fucked up stuffshe did to him in the show slide, any serious relationship between those two is going to take time.

What the tv show did was lay the basis for a future relationship if they ever want to go there.

Completely disagree, just because they have their own series does not mean they could not be supporting cast members in each other series,
    Has this ever been done with spin off tv shows with the stars of both shows? Cause there’s a couple of factors like scheduling and contracts that make it very difficult if not outright impossible.

So I'm watching the Opposition the other night and apparently the alt-right is trying to claim Black Panther as one of their movies. Olympic level mental gymnastics right there.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Has this ever been done with spin off tv shows with the stars of both shows? Cause there’s a couple of factors like scheduling and contracts that make it very difficult if not outright impossible.
    I can think of one example right off the top of my head. On at least two occasions, there were stories that started on Six-Million-Dollar Man and continued on Bionic Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    So I'm watching the Opposition the other night and apparently the alt-right is trying to claim Black Panther as one of their movies. Olympic level mental gymnastics right there.
    Was that the satire of the Opposition, or one of the reports on the show that satirizes a real thing on the alt-right?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    If he's not Gay, not trying to move into their neighborhood, and not having sex with a white woman they are probably fine with him.

New interview from Priest.

http://comicbook.com/comics/2018/02/...-black-comics/

Also, I like how he tells it like it is.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    New interview from Priest.

http://comicbook.com/comics/2018/02/...-black-comics/

Also, I like how he tells it like it is.
    Excellent read. Why isn't/hasnt ever been an editor-in-chief again?? I know the answer.

2 things, I wonder who he bumped heads with at Milestore back when? I'd hope the easiest answer wouldn't necessarily be the right one.

And do you think anybody other than family ever calls him Jim?
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    If he's not Gay, not trying to move into their neighborhood, and not having sex with a white woman they are probably fine with him.
    When you put it that I they wouldn't have too much of a problem with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Was that the satire of the Opposition, or one of the reports on the show that satirizes a real thing on the alt-right?
    It was one of the satire reports but after Googling it seems that yes many alt-right members do in fact view it as theirs. I've even seen the phrase pro Trump tossed around.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Excellent read. Why isn't/hasnt ever been an editor-in-chief again?? I know the answer.

2 things, I wonder who he bumped heads with at Milestore back when? I'd hope the easiest answer wouldn't necessarily be the right one.

And do you think anybody other than family ever calls him Jim?
    I think it was Paul Levitz as the person he was bumping heads with:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08...ool-interview/

This was one of the first interviews he did back when he was announced as the writer for Deathstroke I believe and it mentioned it.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 02-24-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer